Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pads and Discs failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=GrumpOldMan

I am asking for advice as I don't see how tyres and pads and discs can all have the same lifespan.[/QUOTE]

I've found that tires, pads and rotors on "new" vehicles can be of questionable "longevity".
I'm an aggressive style driver as I like speed and corners and the paddle shifters whenever possible.
The stock Toyo tires on my 2020 were very noisy, handled terribly and I had to replace them in October last year at 25,000 miles.
The Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 which I purchased handle great and are extremely quiet.
I have an appointment this month to replace the OEM pads and will be upgrading to performance pads and rotors.
Meaning tires, pads and rotors can wear out at about the same time.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by GrumpOldMan
I think you have me confused with someone else, you didn't say anything about my brakes that I responded to.

I posted a fuller post here
https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...k-miles-51081/

I am asking for advice as I don't see how tyres and pads and discs can all have the same lifespan.
I quoted you that is to say YOUR response so exactly how did I get you confused with another member?
I've just been told my front discs and pads need replacing after 20k miles in my CX-30 and it's definitely not from bad driving... I'm convinced it's a manufacturing defect
​​​​​​​

Quote:
I've just been told my front discs and pads need replacing after 20k miles in my CX-30 and it's definitely not from bad driving... I'm convinced it's a manufacturing defect

Last edited by Callisto; 01-05-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:23 AM
Default Driving style

Not saying this is what the OP is doing but ,Some people have a driving style that will wear out brakes .Driving in the mountains can wear out brakes faster also . Add to that if young people are also driving the vehicle ,that can also be part of the problem. If the OP is not riding the brake, or driving with 2 feet one for the gas and one for the brake or not towing with the vehicle it may just be a problem with the brakes. If the OP is driving very aggressively and fast and then jumping on the brakes to stop very fast ,that can over heat the brakes and cause them to wear quickly. Are the rotors warped ,or look like they were overheated ? If none of this is the cause ,maybe the calipers are sticking/frozen and causing the problems. Has this kind brake wear been an issue with other CX5's for other people as well ? Has the OP had this kind of brake wear on other vehicles in the past ? Could the factory rotors be too thin or too small to begin with for a vehicle that is almost 3900 pounds ? Is the quality of the factory pads poor ? The single piston caliper front brakes and rotor size or thickness on the CX5 MIGHT not be up to the job. It surprised me that the CX5 has single piston calipers . You should be able to get at least 25000 miles on brakes if you drive in a normal way .

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 01-05-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:35 AM

Um is there a reading problem? Brakes and tires don't wear out at the same time on a new vehicle of that model as a defect?

I would please recommend that some members do some serious learning about tires, how they are constructed the tires chosen for that Model Mazda. Then learn new braking systems and especially the system on that specific MAZDA.

OLD SCHOOL thoughts didn't really apply back then and they really don't apply now!

I can understand that priceable of feeling BUTT hurt and thinking that your Mazda has all those separate systems wearing out mysteriously at the same time! But totally ruling out driver driving habits?

Here is the thing....
Post the pictures of you Rotor both front and back.
Post pictures of the front as well the rear tires details on the tread.
Post pictures of the rear brake pads and rotors.

Then lets talk!!!!

Old 01-05-2023, 11:45 AM

Is it possible there is a problem with the safety systems with the vehicle causing the brakes to be applied ?

Old 01-05-2023, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
Is it possible there is a problem with the safety systems with the vehicle causing the brakes to be applied ?
Absolutely! But it would not technically cause the front(both) tries to wear as indicated. Also, the driver would have noticed the braking performance and steering as well am sure that the check engine light may have been activated? However, the dealership may have (we don't know because lack of information) if the brake ABS and other systems that can affect braking were checked?

Old 01-05-2023, 12:24 PM

I don't see anywhere the OP claimed to have a tire wear problem ,did i miss something.

Old 01-05-2023, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
I don't see anywhere the OP claimed to have a tire wear problem ,did i miss something.
There are 2 current active threads both having to do with brake wear and possible causes with a suggestion of driving habits. It is how my watch settings are on various forums. So one currently active on this forum has to do with this some information on this thread about brake wear. So your question is actually relevant on another thread as this one . My response for either thread would have been the same . On this thread I should have omitted the tire wear information.
I don't want to promote that thread so I am sure you can find it as recently posted on the main page of this forum?

Last edited by Callisto; 01-05-2023 at 01:53 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-05-2023, 11:21 PM

Added information for everyone trying to help.

I do wonder if it's an odd coincidence that the 2 instances appear to be from the same part of the world, within 50 miles of each other. (Towcester and MK). I'm not aware of a Towcester outside of the UK and google isn't showing me any obvious answers.

Possibly an issue with the batch in this area that doesn't affect the loudmouth on the other side of the planet who can't hear anything above the belief of his own self-importance

To the owner of the forum, I too once made the mistake of thinking the loud trolls are worth keeping around as they "drive traffic" where in fact all they do is drive away decent traffic. Best of luck, I'll continue my research elsewhere. Happy 2023 everyone

Old 01-06-2023, 10:37 AM

Added information for everyone trying to help.

I do wonder if it's an odd coincidence that the 2 instances appear to be from the same part of the world, within 50 miles of each other. (Towcester and MK). I'm not aware of a Towcester outside of the UK and google isn't showing me any obvious answers.

Possibly an issue with the batch in this area that doesn't affect the loudmouth on the other side of the planet who can't hear anything above the belief of his own self-importance

To the owner of the forum, I too once made the mistake of thinking the loud trolls are worth keeping around as they "drive traffic" where in fact all they do is drive away decent traffic. Best of luck, I'll continue my research elsewhere. Happy 2023 everyone
Well aside from your direct insulating a member by name calling which is not acceptable on this forum as well most forums.... but I tend to LOL at those that stupp to this level of responding... LOL

You personally still don't understand how vehicles are produced and its obvious do not understand basic math, math formulas and higher calculus or in this case having to do with this thread's information the Coin Toss Probability factor. You realize there is a math formula, right ? So if you can understand that precibal and then place into account all the parts that are mentioned in this thread and the probability of the assembly line getting defective parts grouped together and installed on one area of a vehicle during the assembly process all be defective being defective and causing the brakes and tires to all wear prematurely I would like to see that formula and the odds of tit happening? Otherwise, as I have been saying the chances of having the brakes and tires all wearing at the same time on a single axle is not reasonable nor is it even realistically possible! To add to this information and because you are insistent not to look at real world information at least collected and learned in the known universe we all live, and share let me add yet another question to support my information I keep posting. Lets get the date code and manufacturing number on the tires that is required by the DOT and also required in most all countries that MAZDA sell vehicles in. I am almost certain those number will not be sequential in any way! Lets see them?

BTW as a hobby I belong to the Quantum physic's forum and members there with some wild theories would LOL at this thread and comment by saying it is another flat earth believer! LOL

This thread is almost (not yet up to the responses yet) as those that still believe that Sole RED paint and the chips caused by impacts if defective paint and only happening predominately to that color?
Or the sunroofs that so many claim self-explode for no reason on their Mazda's defective glass or body work?
I think there are a few more but those 2 come to mind at the moment! ROLMAO.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-06-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Pads and Discs failure