Mazda CX-30 The place to discuss the newest compact SUV addition to Mazda's lineup.

Brake Pads and Discs need replacing after 21k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 12:04 AM
Question Brake Pads and Discs need replacing after 21k miles

Morning all,

I'm hoping someone can help point me in the best direction here as I want to raise a complaint with Mazda as I'm convinced my 2 year old CX-30 has a manufacturing defect.

I took it in for its second service yesterday (21 500 miles) and got a phone call saying I needed to replace my front tyres due to wear, this is the first change since new so I'm happy with tyres lasting 20k miles in Milton Keynes with our billions of roundabouts.

However they also then said my front brake pads need replacing as well as the front brake discs as they had "lipping".

Never in my life, and 10-15, car ownership have I ever seen tyres, pads and discs wear out at the same time.

I am fully aware brake pads are a wear and tear item but even if I drove like a moron, I don't, it's physically impossible to wear brake pads out as quickly as tyres and it would take superhuman bad driving to do the same to discs.

The dealership claims it cannot be a manufacturing defect but I can't think of any other reason for this.

Is it possible for this to just happen? If not any advice on how I escalate a complaint?

Old 01-05-2023, 09:46 AM

Your problem is how you drive the MAZDA. There are to many related and 2 different systems parts that are worn those point to driver NOT any defect.
But good luck on your witch hunt.

I recommend when you pay for the repairs to learn how to better drive your MAZDA!

This is a virus thread containing information that will be read by many and they will assume the same thing about their MAZDA. This is unfortunately how disinformation is created when one person jumps to the conclusion that it can't be me it must be the manufacture without first finding out all the facts. The worst thing is when and often happens that the person finds out they were mistaken seldom to they return and post that they were wrong thus creating more thoughts that perhaps there was some validity to the original post.
After years on forums trying to help some members, it never fails to entertain me "HUMAN NATURE" once they believe something it becomes in their mind empirical in nature! Sort of like the Flat Earth followers.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-05-2023 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Your problem is how you drive the MAZDA. There are to many related and 2 different systems parts that are worn those point to driver NOT any defect.
But good luck on your witch hunt.

I recommend when you pay for the repairs to learn how to better drive your MAZDA!
Thanks for the feedback Callisto it is noted.

Without getting into a measuring contest I can confirm I do not drive badly, fast or heavy on brakes. But I will admit this is my first Mazda so maybe it is a Mazda thing which is fine if the rest of my research backs that up. It's not a witch hunt.

Again thanks for responding

Old 01-05-2023, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by GrumpOldMan
Thanks for the feedback Callisto it is noted.

Without getting into a measuring contest I can confirm I do not drive badly, fast or heavy on brakes. But I will admit this is my first Mazda so maybe it is a Mazda thing which is fine if the rest of my research backs that up. It's not a witch hunt.

Again thanks for responding
This is par for the course with Cali. He will rake you over the coals and make it sound as if you are crazy for raising a question. It certainly is a valid question I might add. Does you car by chance have Toyo A36 tires? If they are the same as my 19 and 21 CX-5's they will wear very quickly. In fact, I found they have no warranty as far as tread wear is concerned when I contacted Toyo about my 19's tires seeming to wear very quickly. They have a very low UTQG number (300) which is indicative of a soft, fast wearing compound. You will see many folk complaining about the OEM Toyo tires in various forums. The brakes are another matter. I have not had excessive wear issues on mine so far. My '19 had zero issues with the brakes in 20k miles. My '21 recently had to have the front rotors resurfaced due to warping (this was done at no cost to me). I would certainly contact Mazda corporate and ask about a goodwill replacement if they are indeed at the end of life. I have seen a couple of threads such as yours over the few years I have been on the forums, but it isn't common to see folks complaining about the brakes.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:26 AM

Try to read.... the claim is brakes and tires wearing out at the same time.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:36 AM

Um is there a reading problem? Brakes and tires don't wear out at the same time on a new vehicle of that model as a defect?

I would please recommend that some members do some serious learning about tires, how they are constructed the tires chosen for that Model Mazda. Then learn new braking systems and especially the system on that specific MAZDA.

OLD SCHOOL thoughts didn't really apply back then and they really don't apply now!

I can understand that priceable of feeling BUTT hurt and thinking that your Mazda has all those separate systems wearing out mysteriously at the same time! But totally ruling out driver driving habits?

Here is the thing....
Post the pictures of you Rotor both front and back.
Post pictures of the front as well the rear tires details on the tread.
Post pictures of the rear brake pads and rotors.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Um is there a reading problem? Brakes and tires don't wear out at the same time on a new vehicle of that model as a defect?

I would please recommend that some members do some serious learning about tires, how they are constructed the tires chosen for that Model Mazda. Then learn new braking systems and especially the system on that specific MAZDA.

OLD SCHOOL thoughts didn't really apply back then and they really don't apply now!

I can understand that priceable of feeling BUTT hurt and thinking that your Mazda has all those separate systems wearing out mysteriously at the same time! But totally ruling out driver driving habits?

Here is the thing....
Post the pictures of you Rotor both front and back.
Post pictures of the front as well the rear tires details on the tread.
Post pictures of the rear brake pads and rotors.
Thank you Callisto but I'd rather not continue discussing this with you as you have given your opinion. Please find other threads to entertain yourself and let others have a say so I can have a wide range of responses.

With respect of course...

Old 01-05-2023, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
This is par for the course with Cali. He will rake you over the coals and make it sound as if you are crazy for raising a question. It certainly is a valid question I might add. Does you car by chance have Toyo A36 tires? If they are the same as my 19 and 21 CX-5's they will wear very quickly. In fact, I found they have no warranty as far as tread wear is concerned when I contacted Toyo about my 19's tires seeming to wear very quickly. They have a very low UTQG number (300) which is indicative of a soft, fast wearing compound. You will see many folk complaining about the OEM Toyo tires in various forums. The brakes are another matter. I have not had excessive wear issues on mine so far. My '19 had zero issues with the brakes in 20k miles. My '21 recently had to have the front rotors resurfaced due to warping (this was done at no cost to me). I would certainly contact Mazda corporate and ask about a goodwill replacement if they are indeed at the end of life. I have seen a couple of threads such as yours over the few years I have been on the forums, but it isn't common to see folks complaining about the brakes.
The tyres were Bridgestone, I'm quite happy with the tyre wear as my city is really hard on left tyres and I always replace both sides when one is gone.

But I've never in my life had brake pads and discs only last as long as a single set of tyres with normal driving. Something is off, it may not be a manufacturing defect in the parts but maybe installed badly or .. something.. Just trying to get to the bottom of this

They are not warped but rather "lipped" which I have to admit is not a term I've heard before. Basically it looks like they've worn down.

If I had bought this second hand from a dodgy seller I'd think the discs were second hand or used by some kid to race around like a moron but I can 100% confirm that is not the case.

Last edited by GrumpOldMan; 01-05-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:45 AM

Thank you Callisto but I'd rather not continue discussing this with you as you have given your opinion. Please find other threads to entertain yourself and let others have a say so I can have a wide range of responses.

With respect of course...
Dude any member can post on a thread as long as it remains on topic. My posting is! See these forums as well other forums basic guidelines for posting and starting threads! I am asking legitimate question and comments. Your own thread is lacking supportive information like perhaps more details about the actual wear the Mazda dealership found regarding your Mazda.
So why not respond with my questions. I have lots more waiting to at least try to keep fact from fiction on anything regarding claims about defects that have no really supportive information. In this case I posted that because you are claiming several systems all prematurely wore out and that is a defect. Ok fine now let's see some pictures and perhaps what the service department advised and concluded that is not in your translation.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:52 AM

The tyres were Bridgestone, I'm quite happy with the tyre wear as my city is really hard on left tyres and I always replace both sides when one is gone.

But I've never in my life had brake pads and discs only last as long as a single set of tyres with normal driving. Something is off, it may not be a manufacturing defect in the parts but maybe installed badly or .. something.. Just trying to get to the bottom of this

They are not warped but rather "lipped" which I have to admit is not a term I've heard before. Basically, it looks like they've worn down.

If I had bought this second hand from a dodgy seller, I'd think the discs were second hand or used by some kid to race around like a moron but I can 100% confirm that is not the case.
Where are the pictures?

I can think of only a few ways what happened to your Mazda could have transpired and all points to either bad or poor driving habits or something that was overlooked and started several hundred or thousand miles prior to where this OPs problem is now ! And that it was not the tires or the brakes by themselves, but one started the issue and more then likely caused the other to prematurely wear. Defects on tires and brakes same vehicle wearing out at the same time in that short of miles without driving it hard or poor driving habits? Defective on both counts....

The term "lipped" is often misused by DIY on forums.

If one is going to use the word "LIPPED" when describing their brake rotor condition, then they should be supporting that with the casting measurement and the current measurement of the rotor. For a professional Brake Technician or mechanic, the run-out of the rotor should also have been tested and measured.

Tire(s) prematurely wearing has several considerations and has to do with measuring the tread wear of all tires on the vehicle and comparing each tire location and measurements. Also, the type of wear pattern.

Last edited by Callisto; 01-05-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads and Discs need replacing after 21k miles