Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change for CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by WVMountaineer
Can I get a part number for the filter?
The filter is: PE01-14-302
the 0w-20 oil is: 0000-G5-0W20-MQ

Trevor

Old 12-12-2012, 02:50 PM

I have been under my CX5 and found the access door to do the oil change. After removing the screws and other attachments the door just slides back and forth in place. Is there a trick to removing the door from the underside cover? By the way does anyone on this site actually change their oil or only theorize about? Can someone actually tell me how to remove the darn access door??

Last edited by graywolf06; 12-15-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added request
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
).

Now that my Mazda is out of warranty I'm going to do the same thing, and I full well expect the UOA results to indicate I'm good to go for 10,000 miles at the very least.
I plan to replace my 2004 Forester with a diesel-powered CX-5 when it becomes available. But I have never let somebody else touch the oil drain plug. Is the Mazda warranty voided if one changes the oil at home? That could be a deal breaker!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Ostling
I plan to replace my 2004 Forester with a diesel-powered CX-5 when it becomes available. But I have never let somebody else touch the oil drain plug. Is the Mazda warranty voided if one changes the oil at home? That could be a deal breaker!
No it doesn't void the warranty. Just save the dated receipts showing correct oil was purchased.

And hope they get the oil-rising problem solved, because some owners are making oil changes 2 or 3 times between recommended intervals because oil is diluted with diesel fuel.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by CX-SV

And hope they get the oil-rising problem solved, because some owners are making oil changes 2 or 3 times between recommended intervals because oil is diluted with diesel fuel.
Being new to this forum I had not heard about that. I then read the thread on this problem: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...diesels-29636/

Are there any conjectures or theories on what causes this, any suggestions for a cure?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Ostling
Being new to this forum I had not heard about that. I then read the thread on this problem: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...diesels-29636/

Are there any conjectures or theories on what causes this, any suggestions for a cure?
No, but some say it's DPF-related (and a problem not just unique to Mazda).

Regardless truly clean diesels such as this one come at a cost, including a significant purchase price premium and higher maintenance costs. Of course the torque and fuel efficiency is the best.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Here is the truth from Mazda in New Zealand, how do I know, cause I am a factory trained Mazda Master technician.

1. If the engine oil is overfull in the diesel motor it will play up. Always have the oil level a fraction below the full mark, and let the engine settle for 5 minutes when checking it. This is very critical.

2. When the engine oil is replaced it is extremely important that the ECU/PCM is reset via the Mazda diagnostic computer. It needs to know this otherwise the above rising oil level problem will cause havoc with your CX5.

My 2 cents worth of correct information to quell the myths and rumours.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Here is the truth from Mazda in New Zealand, how do I know, cause I am a factory trained Mazda Master technician.

1. If the engine oil is overfull in the diesel motor it will play up. Always have the oil level a fraction below the full mark, and let the engine settle for 5 minutes when checking it. This is very critical.

2. When the engine oil is replaced it is extremely important that the ECU/PCM is reset via the Mazda diagnostic computer. It needs to know this otherwise the above rising oil level problem will cause havoc with your CX5.

My 2 cents worth of correct information to quell the myths and rumours.
I knew you were a knowledgable guy and it only fits you are a Mazda Mechanic from your posts. It's great to have someone with your inside knowledge on here. I also like how you make your point without insulting others, greatly appreciated.

I am not a Mazda mechanic but have had many experiences with my Mazda. I do a lot of research and my friend owns am aftermarket parts & service shop. If you're in Canada and need aftermarket performance parts check out: http://markenperformance.com/ ----- I research and input all the new products in the "News" section.(click on News across the top).

The oil level and relation to the ECU is weird.
Does the CX-5 keep track of mileage between oil changes? OR tell you when an oil change is due? (this would be a good reason for re-setting ECU).

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 12-15-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:16 PM

Good info on diesel, hopefully it leads to long term solution w/oil rising.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Default Beware of original factory filter diameter

So, I bought Mobil 1 synthetic oil and also their oil filter. I knew I didn't have a filter wrench to fit this small style filter so I bought one that fit the new filter. I drained the oil from the car and guess what, the filter wrench did not fit the original Mazda oil filter. What should've been a quick job, turned into a pain in the a... I bought the filter wrench that is plastic and socket shaped.

I am surprised know one else ran into this problem. And yes, the mobil filter is the correct one for the CX-5. I triple checked the part number, M1-108.

Beware.

Quick Reply: Oil change for CX-5