Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Default New member

Made the leap and picked up a 2018 last night. Primarily my dear wife's car. We went for the mid range GS model - like the improvements over the 2017 - in "arrest me" red. Wife likes to use her right foot - it is a good thing the accelerator pedal has a limit when it hits the floor.

We are recently retired and have a number of planned road trips in the queue.

Got the stealership to mount snow tires on the stock 17" rims. Going to upgrade with 19" rims and summer tires. Any suggestions on what rims and tires would be appreciated. Want tires that have good traction and decent wear.

Cheers all.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Interesting decision to get the winter tires installed on the stock rims. I went the other direction and got smaller rims with the winter tires. I like your approach.

I do all of my tire research on Tire Rack. I started with getting their system to recommend optional upsizes or downsizes for my vehicle. I would also start with their reviews of the tires available and look for reviews from people with the same vehicle I have. When looking at tires on Tire Rack, you can focus on what is important to you. I was amazed at the difference in ratings in various categories between otherwise similar tires. Someone in an area where it often rains would want better wet traction than someone in an area where it seldom rains in the summer.

Good luck and add a post telling us what you went for. (Add a picture or two as well.)

Old 01-20-2018, 12:48 PM

Thanks. Yes, Tire Rack is an invaluable tool. There is a local tire outlet in my area that has a couple of interesting/helpful tools to calculate tire sizing and wheel information. Tire Size Calculator - Tire and Wheel Plus Sizing I have also always considered total wheel weight - tire and rim - when making a replacement purchase. Too heavy and the vehicle feels like you are running a 100 yard dash with steel toed boots. I also hate a slow tire - slow to respond with steering input and in the corners. This usually means a softer compound tire with stiffer sidewalls. So wear and ride quality is often compromised.

We got the mid range GS model - here in Canada. I believe it is the Sport in USA.

Not sure I really like the fuel saving cylinder deactivation feature. Seems to constantly kick in and then when one wants a little more power by rolling on the throttle there is nothing. Rolling on a little more and a little more when it suddenly it fires up all 4 cylinders and the vehicle surges ahead. Well, as much as a 2.5 litre engine in a heavy vehicle surges ahead. Ya, not a fan of this fuel saving technique. I will need to check out how it functions. If there is a fuse to pull to disable, might be best for in town driving.

Other than that, we like the vehicle overall. Mind you, we only have 300 kms on it.

Later.