Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New Guy with a CX5 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 02:21 PM

Not to mention I have my doubts the rest of the driveline will not take much more than that especially if torque goes up significantly….

Welcome to the forum. Unless you’ve reprogrammed the TCM you probably won’t have to worry about the driveline not withstanding the torque increase, as stock the TCM will limit engine output to the transmission. Change that programming and who knows? Good luck with your project!

Old 07-19-2023, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Welcome to the forum. Unless you’ve reprogrammed the TCM you probably won’t have to worry about the driveline not withstanding the torque increase, as stock the TCM will limit engine output to the transmission. Change that programming and who knows? Good luck with your project!
Close! It is the ECU that adjusts and sends information to the TCM programing. I have looked at the Transmission mapping and even with my experience in ECU Performance Calibration don't feel comfortable changing anything. I data logged a few runs and watched the DATA logging and just felt that there was to many factors to include when even making simple adjustments. I can change some aspects that would raise the pressure for gear change engagements but even that is scary
A hard to get (you have to have connection in the engineering industry ) engineering write up on the tested performance of the skyactiv transmission is very enlightening. I would say based on what I read that IMHO ONLY that I personally would not worry if the engine output measured at the crank was between 375 and 425 and about 350ft.lbs *MAX of torque.. The transmission does indicate capable of handling a little more torque but the case would likely fail unless it was reenforced in a few critical area's.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I data logged a few runs and watched the DATA logging and just felt that there was to many factors to include when even making simple adjustments. I can change some aspects that would raise the pressure for gear change engagements but even that is scary
A hard to get (you have to have connection in the engineering industry ) engineering write up on the tested performance of the skyactiv transmission is very enlightening. I would say based on what I read that IMHO ONLY that I personally would not worry if the engine output measured at the crank was between 375 and 425 and about 350ft.lbs *MAX of torque.. The transmission does indicate capable of handling a little more torque but the case would likely fail unless it was reenforced in a few critical area's.
The Skyactiv Drive system is quite interesting and I would love to read more about it. Those numbers are right in the window I am trying to get to. A 13 second CX-5 would be pretty cool.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MMM1980
The Skyactiv Drive system is quite interesting and I would love to read more about it. Those numbers are right in the window I am trying to get to. A 13 second CX-5 would be pretty cool.
The key to making lots more power is in the head. Ported head with a good performance camshaft and some secret valvetrain parts along with tying it altogether with a good ECU calibration. NET 40+ grain with anything you start with!
Downside is this is about 5000K. HA!

Old 07-20-2023, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Downside is this is about 5000K. HA!
Considering how much fun and the power you get from it stock, I'll gladly stick to stock lmao. It's fun and really make me say holy **** when I gas it.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Considering how much fun and the power you get from it stock, I'll gladly stick to stock lmao. It's fun and really make me say holy **** when I gas it.
You want to feel a little bit more.....

While the engine is off, press the drive by throttle slowly and at some point, close to what you think is full throttle push a little harder there is more to the throttle . MAZDA as well many auto manufactures incorporate a resistance in the throttle pedal assembly about at 80% angle to prevent easy full throttle actuation. Next time you have a safe and straight road nail the throttle hard and firm and see if you can say something more then HOLY SHEEET! LOL
Another trick but a little more effort is to disconnect the negative lead on the battery for about 5 minutes. Reconnect the battery and drive a little more aggressively then try the trick above. You see the ECU adapts to your OLD MAN driving habits and reduces the power output via several PIDs in the ECU these are called adaptive. They change as your driving style changes but take a few drive cycles. By disconnecting the battery it opens the adaptive and if you quickly drive differently the adaptive will reset almost instantly.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-20-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:13 PM

Berger Tuning has a piggyback to the ECU that seems promising.

Old 07-21-2023, 07:53 AM

I must be getting the most out of my adaptive ECU.
I never go without a bit of spirted drive on nearly every trip.
That's the benefit of living on a twisty rural road in a small town (1500 people) and knowing where the sheriff patrol hangs out their radar.
If you should happen to go off the road, you'll likely get wet though.

Old 07-21-2023, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by climbinglife
Berger Tuning has a piggyback to the ECU that seems promising.
I would not recommend anyone doing a "PIGGYBACK" to their ECU until you have completely used up your warranty. You have been warned!

Old 07-21-2023, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I must be getting the most out of my adaptive ECU.
I never go without a bit of spirted drive on nearly every trip.
That's the benefit of living on a twisty rural road in a small town (1500 people) and knowing where the sheriff patrol hangs out their radar.
If you should happen to go off the road, you'll likely get wet though.

Beautiful area you live in!!!

Maybe get a

Radar Detectors With Laser Jammer

I cant post I have one because they are basically illegal in many states. I can tell you they work very, very ,very well.

Last edited by Callisto; 07-21-2023 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: New Guy with a CX5 turbo