Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy with a CX5 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 12:47 AM
Talking New Guy with a CX5 turbo

Hey just joined to see what you all were doing with your Mazdas and CX5s. I have a Sonic silver '23 turbo that so far is tuned but will be getting many more parts and subtle modifications. Probably most of the Cork Sport stuff and a few parts I've found from Japan. Seems these are quite popular there and in SE Asia.
I realize its not exactly a performance vehicle but that doesn't mean we can make it more fun.
What have you done to your CX5?

Last edited by MMM1980; 07-18-2023 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:41 AM

You are in the "honeymoon" phase with your car. Having committed a chunk of cash towards a vehicle, you are now fixated on it and buying a bunch of crap for it.
I did the same.
I got the vehicle with factory hitch, SD nav card from ebay/Amazon, switched to 5W-30, replaced all interior bulbs with LED, smartphone vent mount, interior arm rest, gel seat cushion, replaced the wheels with Enkeis and oversized tires, and some other stuff.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:18 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:25 PM

Its always great to read a new member wanting to upgrade their new MAZDA. Welcome to the fun. Yes Cork Sport is probably the TOGO retailer and developer for performance upgrades that most actually work very nicely. And a ECU Performance calibration will wake your MAZDA engine up for sure. Just remember unless you have the skills and are installing any performance parts yourself you may wait a while until the warranty has lapsed. If you need to go to the dealer for any warranty, safety recall or any service you will need to reinstall any and all engine parts and if ECU upload your saved baseline stock ECU program. If you choose a ECU calibrator make sure yu are able to delete the counters in the ECU that may indicate some or all the engine changes you made also effecting the warranty.

Old 07-18-2023, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the welcome. This is just the newest in a long line cars I've tuned/modified.
I'm not sure what this "honeymoon" phase is that Chocolate is referring to. I've been wrenching for 30 years and no car I've owned stays stock so I wonder when the honeymoon phase ends? 🤔
Former projects include a 78 Nova, a 94 626, a second 78 Nova that ended up LS swapped, a 95 240sx, a 2018 forte that one stayed mostly stock and an 06 Scion tC that got a turbo and a bunch of other stuff. And currently have a 500hp 14 Silverado in the driveway next to the CX5.
But, now that I'm in my 40s and the wife wanted an SUV this is the direction we chose. Sure there are more performance based SUVs out there but Mazda builds great cars and they are priced right. It would have cost $10k+ more to get anything really performance based and they won't get 26 mpg doing it.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by MMM1980
Thanks for the welcome. This is just the newest in a long line cars I've tuned/modified.
I'm not sure what this "honeymoon" phase is that Chocolate is referring to. I've been wrenching for 30 years and no car I've owned stays stock so I wonder when the honeymoon phase ends? 🤔
Former projects include a 78 Nova, a 94 626, a second 78 Nova that ended up LS swapped, a 95 240sx, a 2018 forte that one stayed mostly stock and an 06 Scion tC that got a turbo and a bunch of other stuff. And currently have a 500hp 14 Silverado in the driveway next to the CX5.
But, now that I'm in my 40s and the wife wanted an SUV this is the direction we chose. Sure there are more performance based SUVs out there but Mazda builds great cars and they are priced right. It would have cost $10k+ more to get anything really performance based and they won't get 26 mpg doing it.
I understand.... when we bought our Mazda 3 the second month the complete interior came out .
Our Mazda was suppose to be our Dailey driver. But not many vehicles I have owned has ever remained stock!
Its no 4 years later and I am still modding it.
It only has 1/2 the power of yur Silverado but it is only a N/A not even Turbocharged.

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 07-18-2023, 09:10 PM

"It only has 1/2 the power of yur Silverado but it is only a N/A not even Turbocharged. "
What all have you done if you don't mind sharing?

The silverado is n/a as well. And no it wasn't easy or cheap to get 500 n/a hp out of an gen v lt. Was going to boost it but decided against it for some unknown reason. Really wish I had would have been cheaper and probably gotten more power🤦🏻‍♂️.
As for the CX, I'm looking to keep it sleeper-ish (not hard with a "dad car") Wheels and tires will be the only obvious changes. Looking at the Ahodan AFF-7 in 19x8.5. Will lower it too but it probably won't be noticeable unless it's sitting next to another.
ultimate goal is 350-375hp but we shall see. I'm fairly certain the stock turbo won't get me there. Not to mention I have my doubts the rest of the driveline will not take much more than that especially if torque goes up significantly.
Time and dollars will be the ultimate obstruction. We'll see how far I get it.

Old 07-19-2023, 06:18 AM

It's been well documented lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=honeymoon+phase+car

Old 07-19-2023, 07:14 AM

I'm not sure what this "honeymoon" phase is that Chocolate is referring to.
Welcome to the forum...
As Chocolate said, the honeymoon phase is well documented.
Personally, I used to find myself cheating with motorcycles

Old 07-19-2023, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chocolate
It's been well documented lol

s..
well documented .....ROLMAO
Did you go look where that article origin came from and the sources?? LOL
Reddit com'on really LOL
Ya......... not for a real car enthusiast
try looking at my personal thread and understand

May for the average JOE/Jane and the new car feeling but anyone reading the OPs responses he as am I along with hundreds of people I personally know that own vehicles. There is a bond and love form them. My Mazda would NEVER have been my choice to get and mod up. But as a TRUE car enthusiast we cant resist modding any vehicle that is NEW to our ownership . My PT Cruiser handles better and has more power then my MAZDA as one very extreme example of why I would not have chosen a Mazda to MOD up.

Motorcycles are the same way with me as cars.LOL

Speaking of Motorcycles MY Yamaha needed new tires wheel bearing and a couple of other parts to get it ready for summer. This started last month.... here is what happened to that simple quick servicing job.... LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 07-19-2023 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: New Guy with a CX5 turbo