Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2022 Mazda CX5 or CX9

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 04:21 PM
Question 2022 Mazda CX5 or CX9

I have just about decided on a Mazda over all the other competitors. My problem now is whether to purchase a top of the line CX5 or CX9. I currently own a 2019 Camry XSE, V6, but want a vehicle that is easier to get into and out of (I am 81 with back problems). I just need more cargo space than the Camry provides. I like the power the Camry delivers and as long as I can haul items from DIY stores, I will be happy. I am thinking that the CX5 may be more fun to drive, considering both have the same engine. I will appreciate any suggestions anyone with experience with each vehicle has. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:39 PM

How much space do you need? For me the CX5 would be more than enough.

I would think the CX5 would be easier to drive and park at a lower cost to purchase and operate. I would suspect it would be the better vehicle unless you needed the space.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:07 PM

I will primarily be hauling smaller items, such as top soil, pavers, and other items used in my landscaping of my yard. I think that the CX5 would be suficient, but I shall wait until the car can be seen and driven. My daughter has a 2019 CX5 touring and it appears to be large enough for my needs. I just wanted some feedback from people who currently owns each particular vehicle.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:40 PM

All you really get with the CX-9 over the 5 is a 3rd. row of passenger seating. It doesn't sound like you will need that. You know; you can buy anything from Home Depot on-line that they sell in the stores and get free delivery. There really is no reason to go there yourself anymore. Besides, I wouldn't want to mess up the back of my CX-5 with the stuff you mentioned. How about a used mid-sized pick-up truck with a bed-liner in it? More suited to to the task no? No V-6 in a Mazda CX series either.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:05 AM

Thanks, but I owned a Toyota Tacoma and a Nissan Frontier. I don't want another truck. I like the styling of the Mazda and I like to purchase items and transport them myself, including large plants.Who needs a V6 when the 4 banger turbo will get the job done. I owned a Plymouth laser turbo with 205 Hp. and it was speedy enough. I have narrowed my search to the Mazda, so I shall wait. BTW, my daughter carries the items for me in her 2019 CX5, and it hasn't been 'messed up' yet, thanks to site preparation and protection. I am not averse to online shopping (Amazon since 2002), but some items I like to see and feel before buying. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by MrBillMazda; 04-24-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:10 PM

I had an Eagle Talon and a Mazda pickup in the early 90’s. Seemed every time I stoped by Home Depot I was in the Eagle. I put 80 metal studs in once and a front door another time.

I now have a Mazda3 and the wife has a Forester. I have loaded everything in both and with a good rubber trunk mat never had any evidence of use.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:24 PM

My personal opinion would be to go with the turbo-charged CX-5, but there is another component you may want to check out: I do not find the seat of the CX-5 comfortable and I assume that the CX-9 has more comfortable seats given the price point and larger size. I would take both to extended test drives and figure out which one is feeling more comfortable to you.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:13 PM

Thank you. I shall do just that before I buy either. Hopefully the seats will be improved by 2022.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:21 PM

2022 is two model years away. Who knows what else will be out by then? Have you considered the new RAV-4 Prime? It will have over 300hp and arrives this summer.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:21 AM

Yes, ever since I started looking in 2018. The much exaggerated PR about the 2019 didn't come to fruition, and the 2020 doesn't get great ratings either. CR rates reliability 3-5, and owner satisfaction 3-5 (not great ratings). Rough ride and engine noise continues. It appears that Toyota doesn't correct what is wrong, just make cosmetic changes that appeal to the loyalists and those who enthralled with smooth lines, box fronts, and more cup holders. The 2021 Prime is a new addition, and no way do I buy an new model, experimenting how well it will sell, prompted by paid reviewers. I really liked the RAV4, beginning with the 2019 model, but apparently Toyota is living on their laurels and not what consumers desire. BTW, there are very limited charging stations in the Charleston, SC area, and throughout the country, so that adds another negative. Big oil continues to win over electric.

Quick Reply: 2022 Mazda CX5 or CX9