Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda CX5 won't start, turns over then dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:09 AM
Default Mazda CX5 won't start, turns over then dies

With no signs at all I got in my mazda after stopping at shops, push the starter, it turn over but lost rpm immediately and stopped. Several attempts same thing. Turned over but died immediately. After getting it towed home, I tried the next morning, same thing for several attempts then drained battery. Got auto elec out, 4 hours later after all error codes were cleared, the air intake sensor code can up? Disconnected the sensor and the car started straight away! Plugged it back in, car stopped straight away. I called mazda who said that no sensors had been sold as of yet? I drove car without sensor connected, it jolted on low speed to stop but ok while cruising. I bought air flow intake sensor reconnected and problem solved. Running perfectly once more. The mechanic thought it was fuel pump problem initially because of behaviour of the car turning over. Hope that helps any future Mazda owners or auto elects experiencing same symptoms.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

I've had a CX5 with very similar problem. Cause was a local mechanic serviced it, didn't refit the air filter box lid properly. Dirt & debre got sucked in without being filtered, something got stuck in/on the AFM messing up its output signals.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Smile Thank you!! This solved my problem.

I had the same problem with my 2014 CX-5. The engine turned over, then died. After watching some YouTube videos on how to replace the sensor, I followed your suggestion, disconnected the MAF sensor and the car started right up. Got the new sensor at the dealer because no other auto parts stores had it in stock. Believe it or not, it was cheaper at the Mazda dealer than special ordering it at 4 major parts stores. The replacement took 2 minutes, at most.

Thank you for posting this solution. It saved me a bunch of time and money!

Old 05-16-2018, 01:42 AM
Default very helpful post

Originally Posted by Rinn396
With no signs at all I got in my mazda after stopping at shops, push the starter, it turn over but lost rpm immediately and stopped. Several attempts same thing. Turned over but died immediately. After getting it towed home, I tried the next morning, same thing for several attempts then drained battery. Got auto elec out, 4 hours later after all error codes were cleared, the air intake sensor code can up? Disconnected the sensor and the car started straight away! Plugged it back in, car stopped straight away. I called mazda who said that no sensors had been sold as of yet? I drove car without sensor connected, it jolted on low speed to stop but ok while cruising. I bought air flow intake sensor reconnected and problem solved. Running perfectly once more. The mechanic thought it was fuel pump problem initially because of behaviour of the car turning over. Hope that helps any future Mazda owners or auto elects experiencing same symptoms.
Followed steps here and appears i have same issue. Part is on its way from Mr Car Parts. Will see how the part goes.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Default my 2014 doing the same thing

my 2014 cx5 is doing the exact same thing. I just change the fuel pump thinking that was the problem and it wasn’t. I am going home now to check this sensor!

Originally Posted by Rinn396

Old 02-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Since my previous post, I've had 3 CX-5s in the last 3 yrs or so come thru the shop with failed MAF sensors.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:37 AM

we are pretty sure that’s what it is we disconnected tje MAF sensor and the car started right up definitely ran rough but it started and it ran I just ordered a new one and it should be here tomorrow so hopefully that’s the fix

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Since my previous post, I've had 3 CX-5s in the last 3 yrs or so come thru the shop with failed MAF sensors.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:36 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Stephanie Malone
my 2014 cx5 is doing the exact same thing. I just change the fuel pump thinking that was the problem and it wasn’t. I am going home now to check this sensor!
Thank you for your info it helped me identify the MAF fault and saved time and money.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:51 PM

Same issue here, the dealer wants $236 for the part, is that too much? I will check auto zone etc.