Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mazda CX5 engine cuts off when i turn on the lights.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Default Mazda CX5 engine cuts off when i turn on the lights.

Hello,

I am a 30yr old woman with no experience working on cars or anything like that and i can't help but feel I'm getting swindled.

I have a 2013 Mazda CX5, yesterday when leaving for the grocery store it died when rolling out of the driveway as i turned my lights on. If i leave the lights on, it will not start or do anything and every light on my dashboard turns on and my radio turns off. With the lights off, everything runs as normal.

I took it to the dealership and they informed me that i am out of warranty!
They told me that my start stop unit had lost communication with my computer and my car and that i would need to replace it. They also quoted me $750 for the repair, ouch!

I asked for the part numbers on everything they're ordering and i think they may be trying to pull a fast one.

Unit - DAY7-67-5S0A

Key - KDY3-76-201

Transmitter - KDY3-67-5DY

Upper Cover - KD4566222A

Bolts - KA01-66-154

From the part numbers i was given it looks like they're replacing my start stop button? Also they want to purchase new keys for $100 a pop. Whats wrong with the ones i have, can they not be reprogrammed for the new unit?

Now, from a quick google search of the part numbers it seems that everything comes out to about $300, so im paying $450 in labor? Or does a dealership charge more for parts too?

The whole thing seems rather odd to me. If my start stop unit has lost communication with my cars computer, then why is it only when the lights are on?

I called a few other local mechanics to try and get a quote but every shop told me that id need to pay $90 - $120 for a diagnostic test before they can give me a quote. So its not like i can go around town trying to find the best price for the work, or even if they all agree on what the problem is for that matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm lost on this one. I do have a second vehicle that i can drive to work (A jeep with no roof, I’d rather be in my mazda) so i can put it off for a little while but I’d like to get it fixed asap. Oh and I’m not sure if it matters but i live in San Diego, California.

Thankyou in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

Respectfully,

Julie.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:52 AM

Stop/start buttons often fail on early production CX-5s. So that could easily be what you're experiencing (or the battery). There is a TSB on the button.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 AM

Julie,

The issue only shows up when you have your headlights on and with them off everything is normal?

Could be a battery issue. Is the battery the original? How do the battery connections look?