Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX5 2020 windshield washer fluid issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 06:54 AM

My 2019 GTR has this issue once the temps drop into the mid 20's. Frustrating!!!!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by zxr
i have Mazda CX5 2020 Grand Touring, does anyone have issue with its windshield washer fluid in winter. this is my first Mazda car and never had issue with washer fluid with other model of car in winter. i live in east coast and during December 2020 snow strong washer fluid stop working. I always use -20F fluid.
any information will be highly appreciate. I am going to call dealer to find this issue also.
You say that you used fluid listed as good to -20 f?

Is there any chance that the fluid in the reservoir, before you added the -20 stuff, was a summer blend? If so, this could be your issue because the summer blend mixed with the winter blend would raise the freezing temp of the fluid.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:06 AM

Good information here, even though I have never had this happen in any of my previous cars. Good idea to run the wipers/fluid every day in very cold weather. I let my car warm up for maybe a minute or two, sometimes enough for that blue cold temp light to go off, sometimes not. But if it's still on, I drive very slowly until it goes out.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:52 AM
Default Windshield De-Icer Function

Originally Posted by GAsierra
For 2020, Mazda's CX-5 GT had an available option that contained the "windshield wiper de-icer" feature: the Premium Package -- "Includes automatic power-folding side mirrors, ActiveDriving Display, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats,heated steering wheel and windshield wiper deicer."

So, if you've got the Premium Package option, then I'd think the de-icing should keep the wiper fluid flowing to the windshield at least.

My 2016.5 doesn't have that 'de-icer' feature. I, too, use -25ºF fluid (Rain-X's 2-in-1 version, typically). But I also use the front and rear wipers daily, several times. Perhaps regular (daily) use also helps, ensuring there's fluid in those lines to help resist freezing up. (Don't know for certain, but it'd make sense I would think.)

Around where I live, so far we've only had single-digit temps on a couple of days, but many days down into the teens. My regimen on start-up is: turn the car on; turn the heat on "high" along with the rear defroster; clear the windows of ice and snow; then sit until the little blue "engine cold" light goes out. At which point, I then use the wiper fluid front and rear. Always works for me. But then, I've waited quite awhile, too; generally, a bit over 10mins is typical if having to clear the windows if snow and ice. Haven't tried the fluid anyway, despite ice and snow and without first warming up the car and waiting for the window heaters to do their jobs.

Given that my 2016.5 GT doesn't have the "de-icer" (or heated nozzles, or anything like that), I figure that "delay" process is worth doing, just to help ensure I'm not forced to do without.
So my understanding is that the de-icer feature does not affect the windshield washers. You can actually see the deicing feature in the windshield glass. There are thermal elements, much like the rear windshield defroster, that heats up and facilitates snow removal from the bottom of the windshield.

This is the luxury way of flipping out your wiper arms so they don't get frozen onto the windshield with a pile of snow and or ice. I have never tried it, or been in weather where it was required to tell you how it works.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
So my understanding is that the de-icer feature does not affect the windshield washers. You can actually see the deicing feature in the windshield glass. There are thermal elements, much like the rear windshield defroster, that heats up and facilitates snow removal from the bottom of the windshield.

This is the luxury way of flipping out your wiper arms so they don't get frozen onto the windshield with a pile of snow and or ice. I have never tried it, or been in weather where it was required to tell you how it works.
It worked well in my 2001 Subaru Outback, but it had nothing to do with the washer fluid. My Jeep has a gizmo that heats the washer fluid, but you have to get the engine warmed up first. For the record, I haven't had washer fluid freeze up in any car in years.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:03 AM

My 2020 CX-5 GT does the same thing below about 20 degrees F, The fluid in the tank is not frozen and there is no snow or ice near the nozzles. As soon as the engine compartment warms up it starts working again. I use the same winter fluid in it that I use in my Toyota pickup and it never freezes in the pickup.
In my case, the pump runs but no fluid at the nozzles. As someone above noted, I think it is freezing in a line somewhere.