Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Mazda CX5 2020 windshield washer fluid issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 07:59 PM
zxr
Exclamation Mazda CX5 2020 windshield washer fluid issue

i have Mazda CX5 2020 Grand Touring, does anyone have issue with its windshield washer fluid in winter. this is my first Mazda car and never had issue with washer fluid with other model of car in winter. i live in east coast and during December 2020 snow strong washer fluid stop working. I always use -20F fluid.
any information will be highly appreciate. I am going to call dealer to find this issue also.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:22 PM

Does the pump run? Did the nozzles freeze up? Is there dirt clogging the hose? Did a hose come loose (something that will often happen if a nozzle freezes)? There are any number of reasons that might cause this.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:25 PM

Did it start working again once it warmed up in the spring?

Old 01-10-2021, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Did it start working again once it warmed up in the spring?
OP stated the issues started in 12/2020. Spring is still a few months away man.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:50 PM
zxr

seems like nozzles freeze up. I have this problem every time when the outside temperature is freezing.

Old 01-10-2021, 06:52 PM
zxr

once it the engine warmed up it starts working. issue happen only when its too cold outside.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by zxr
seems like nozzles freeze up. I have this problem every time when the outside temperature is freezing.
Might want to build a habit of checking the nozzles before driving in cold weather. If they are freezing, there must be moisture in or on them so long as you have a suffciently low freezing temp washer fluid in there. My 2014 sits out all the time and we've only had that problem when there is snow or ice on the car overnight.Cleaning the nozzles usually resolves it. We keep some windshield deicer in the garage and spray the windshield and nozzles when it is like that.

My Jeep has never had that problem, but it has a heated windshield washer.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:29 PM

There is a washer fluid that is good to -35°, usually colored purple.

My 2¢

Old 02-23-2021, 02:45 PM
Default Me too....

I too just drove our CX-5 in sub-zero temps, and the washer fluid froze somewhere between the reservoir bottle and the nozzle. Anyone know where the lines are routed - like exposed to outside air temps? Once we parked it in the attached garage for a while, it started working again. Next day same thing; drove around for a while and no washer fluid, then next morning it worked. Sounds like the -35 might be the way to go.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by zxr
i have Mazda CX5 2020 Grand Touring ... once it the engine warmed up it starts working. issue happen only when its too cold outside.
For 2020, Mazda's CX-5 GT had an available option that contained the "windshield wiper de-icer" feature: the Premium Package -- "Includes automatic power-folding side mirrors, ActiveDriving Display, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats,heated steering wheel and windshield wiper deicer."

So, if you've got the Premium Package option, then I'd think the de-icing should keep the wiper fluid flowing to the windshield at least.

My 2016.5 doesn't have that 'de-icer' feature. I, too, use -25ºF fluid (Rain-X's 2-in-1 version, typically). But I also use the front and rear wipers daily, several times. Perhaps regular (daily) use also helps, ensuring there's fluid in those lines to help resist freezing up. (Don't know for certain, but it'd make sense I would think.)

Around where I live, so far we've only had single-digit temps on a couple of days, but many days down into the teens. My regimen on start-up is: turn the car on; turn the heat on "high" along with the rear defroster; clear the windows of ice and snow; then sit until the little blue "engine cold" light goes out. At which point, I then use the wiper fluid front and rear. Always works for me. But then, I've waited quite awhile, too; generally, a bit over 10mins is typical if having to clear the windows of snow and ice. Haven't tried the fluid anyway, despite ice and snow and without first warming up the car and waiting for the window heaters to do their jobs.

Given that my 2016.5 GT doesn't have the "de-icer" (or heated nozzles, or anything like that), I figure that "delay" process is worth doing, just to help ensure I'm not forced to do without.

Last edited by GAsierra; 02-27-2021 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Mazda CX5 2020 windshield washer fluid issue