Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laws of probability

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 01:58 PM
Default Jus saying

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 06-12-2023 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
You can sell it and replace it in less than a week . What year is it ? What trim level ? How many miles ? If it is $7500.00 pay it off take the money and sell it as is ,you will come out too far ahead to get it repaired and keep it. Some body shop or used car dealer will pay you way more than you think for it just the way it is . Dump it and get a new one. You have great opportunity to cash in on this . It's a unibody, and if it's really tweaked the chances are after its pulled it will never be as good as new when repaired , take the money and run. It's just a used transportation vehicle ,nothing special or collectable. A brand new CX5 will be perfect, and a repaired one is going to be a crap shoot. When opportunity knocks answer the door . If you repair it when you do wish to sell the vehicle it will also have a bad Carfax report with $7500.00 damage claim on it ,and will worth less because of the bad Carfax .

Evidently you live in an area with a more plentiful supply of good quality used cars. The car in question is a 2016 CX-5 Touring, AWD with 83K on the clock. I bought it with 19K on the clock and maintain it better than new. Before Bambi nailed me, it looked like a 2 year old car. I used to run a salvage yard and buy and sell old beaters. This is NOT a beater. Similar cars with twice the mileage go for $15,000 around here.

Once fixed, I'll either sell it or trade it in but the damage is worse than the photo shows. It's mostly confined to the door with tweaks elsewhere. 3 month wait for a repair slot to open up. On the other hand, the car did look new and soccer moms were always cutting in front in traffic. With that crushed door, nobody has cut me off.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:57 AM
Default Your choice

Originally Posted by Grouch
Evidently you live in an area with a more plentiful supply of good quality used cars. The car in question is a 2016 CX-5 Touring, AWD with 83K on the clock. I bought it with 19K on the clock and maintain it better than new. Before Bambi nailed me, it looked like a 2 year old car. I used to run a salvage yard and buy and sell old beaters. This is NOT a beater. Similar cars with twice the mileage go for $15,000 around here.

Once fixed, I'll either sell it or trade it in but the damage is worse than the photo shows. It's mostly confined to the door with tweaks elsewhere. 3 month wait for a repair slot to open up. On the other hand, the car did look new and soccer moms were always cutting in front in traffic. With that crushed door, nobody has cut me off.
It's your car and your money. On the positive side ,at least the body shop will make money on this deal.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
It's your car and your money. On the positive side ,at least the body shop will make money on this deal.

I've done business with this shop for decades. At least 35 years. Usually when I'm fixing a car up to resell or restoring an antique. This is the first collision damage I've had done on a personal vehicle though.

Old 06-13-2023, 11:46 AM
Default Hope they give you a deal

I've done business with this shop for decades. At least 35 years. Usually when I'm fixing a car up to resell or restoring an antique. This is the first collision damage I've had done on a personal vehicle though.
I hope they give you a good deal. I'm just not seeing the monetary up side in chasing 8 year old vehicle with 83000 miles on it and a bad Carfax. If I were you Would at least see what you could get for it AS IS without the repair . Mazda dealers here in Arizona are selling new 2023 CX5's for under MSRP ,so if you cold get $6000.00 for it the way it is and a check from the insurance company for $7000.00you would have $13000.00 to use on a down payment on a new CX5 . If your financial situation enables you to do this, I believe you would be better off with a new CX5 rather than a repaired 8 year old 83000 mile CX5 with a bad Carfax report. Now you may not be aware of it ,but the 2016 CX5 isn't a good year for them . check it out here https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...ears-to-avoid/
And then there is this ....The 2016 Mazda CX-5 is easily the worst model of the SUV ever to be released. It has so many issues that it’s hard to believe Mazda was able to introduce it for daily use.

Moreover, the most common issue with the 2016 Mazda CX-5 is that the daytime running LED light would fail.

This is not a major issue, but it certainly is something that should not fail at all.

The next issue I’d like to share is brakes; these would wear out prematurely, needing frequent replacements.

They would also work unreliably, which meant they were not dependable. They also make squeaking noises when applied, making the riding experience subpar.

That’s not all. Side windows also leak in road noise and wind noise, which can be very annoying while driving. The infotainment system was also known to be glitchy at times.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 06-13-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:25 PM

The infotainment has been sketchy, that's true. Otherwise, the car has been trouble free. I'm a mechanic with 50+ years experience. Locally, I've seen cars selling for top dollar that aren't that great. I saw one "Clipper" sell and the buyer knew the history and still paid top dollar. I have repaired damaged vehicles and sold them before. I keep photos of the damage along with the repair receipts. I don't expect any trouble selling the car if I decide to not keep it.

Old 06-14-2023, 02:30 PM
Default Good luck

The infotainment has been sketchy, that's true. Otherwise, the car has been trouble free. I'm a mechanic with 50+ years experience. Locally, I've seen cars selling for top dollar that aren't that great. I saw one "Clipper" sell and the buyer knew the history and still paid top dollar. I have repaired damaged vehicles and sold them before. I keep photos of the damage along with the repair receipts. I don't expect any trouble selling the car if I decide to not keep it.
GOOD LUCK, and I hope it works out for you.

Old 06-23-2023, 04:25 PM

Modified my CX-5 today.

I wanted to make sure I didn't get pulled over if there was a hit and run with a red car nearby. Would you believe kids today know who Beavis and Butthead is and where SouthPark is, but they don't know about the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote?

Old 06-23-2023, 04:58 PM

Nice!

Old 06-24-2023, 06:22 AM

Modified my CX-5 today.

I wanted to make sure I didn't get pulled over if there was a hit and run with a red car nearby. Would you believe kids today know who Beavis and Butthead is and where SouthPark is, but they don't know about the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote?
I'm not a kid, I'm an old geezer, and I've never seen a deer that left a coyote imprint.

Quick Reply: Laws of probability