Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Interior Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 10:49 PM
Default Interior Light Switch

Hi All,

Newbie here and have discovered the my 2014 Mazda CX5 interior light switch is sticking (map lights are fine it is just the switch). It is always normally in the door position, but now I can't move it to off or on, seems to be stuck or fused. As I don't know where to start, how do I get this open to check and clean or replace? Don't really want to go to a dealer and get them to charge me a small fortune when I can probably do myself with your guidance.

Cheers

Old 01-20-2023, 10:14 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 01-20-2023, 10:18 AM

You would need to pull the panel down disconnect the wire harness to the panel. Then all the small parts can be taken apart and cleaned. You need to be very care and look at everything that is secure all the parts and how they are removed from their location. There are many small plastic holding tabs that can easily be broken if you are not careful. I recommend using PLASTIC tools to service the removable of the lens and other switches from the main panel.
I will see if I can find my pictures of disassembling the complete unit.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:34 AM

You may want to wait for other advice as I have never done this on any CX-5.
There are two different consoles one with a sunroof switch and one without.
The screws to remove the overhead plastic console cover are under the plastic light lenses.
You'll need to carefully pry them off, preferably with a plastic tool designed for that purpose.
Then remove the light bulbs and the bulbs get really hot, use a cloth when you remove them.
I believe once you get the screws out and remove the cover, there is another bolt/screw that holds the console unit to the roof.
I have not seen a replacement switch in any of the parts catalogs I've searched but you can try cleaning the switch with some electrical cleaner.
There are entire used consoles for sale on eBay and presumably at junkyards as well.
There are also LED units available to replace the light bulbs in the overhead console, but I cannot say how well they work.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:09 AM

Make sure that you read the ELECTRICAL PARTS CLEANER you use that is safe for plastic parts!!!

Old 01-20-2023, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Make sure that you read the ELECTRICAL PARTS CLEANER you use that is safe for plastic parts!!!
Thanks...forgot to add that part.
I use DeoxIt D5

Old 01-20-2023, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Thanks...forgot to add that part.
I use DeoxIt D5
Just lookin out for ya!

I have no idea where my pictures are? I started a thread when I first got me Mazda but the young hearted moderator didn't like me correcting his one-sided and very biased responses and banned me. LOL But here is a few I just took. You can see that I did some custom and careful painting. I also installed bright LEDs.

Old 01-21-2023, 04:10 PM

Thanks so much. I will give it a try and let you know :-)