Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interesting bit on Mazdas 0w20 oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Default interesting bit on Mazdas 0w20 oil

thought this was kind of intersting:

New 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil from Mazda - CleanMPG Forums

at least the first post, after that it just goes into the usual motor oil/religion/politics type debate that they always end up in.

Trevor

Last edited by HandA; 11-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

It's amazing how Oil Manufacturers can do all sorts of test and post the best results only.
This happened in my thread: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/gen...antages-30407/ where Amsoil posted tests and left some great brands out. I have also info on other brands as well.
Mind you in some other tests the Mazda oil may not be as good.
Generally synthetics are better than non-synthetic oil by a long shot!
It would be great to find a proper test done by outside sources.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 PM

yes, a truly impartial test is next to impossible to find because someone is always paying for the test and they want results that make them look good.

I'm curious how the levels of moly in the Mazda oil compare to other oils too.

I've got an inside person that can get me a deal on the Mazda oil so it is also cheaper than the other options so I'll be sticking with it.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HandA
yes, a truly impartial test is next to impossible to find because someone is always paying for the test and they want results that make them look good.

I'm curious how the levels of moly in the Mazda oil compare to other oils too.

I've got an inside person that can get me a deal on the Mazda oil so it is also cheaper than the other options so I'll be sticking with it.
Excellent! Great when you can get a deal!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 PM

Nice bit of info from Mazda, but to me it's not that big of deal. I will use only the Mazda synthetic specified in my CX-5 Skyactiv engine, and only Mobil1 synthetic in my other 2 sport sedans. Attempting to find better oils for those applications will have no measurable actual benefits in the long run.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM

For years I always thought the branded oil at the dealership was just overpriced repackaged stuff. I guess with the more demanding engines they might be making better more specific oil now. Thought it was nice that they seemed to put some thought into the oil.

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Attempting to find better oils for those applications will have no measurable actual benefits in the long run.
A relative recommended the bobs the oil guy site to me once. After a couple of minutes reading posts my head just about exploded.

How many oil related engine failures are there really? And only counting ones where it was a lubrication problem, not a lack of oil or oil left in the car until it turned to goop.
Every car I've gone really high miles on it was some little (and often expensive) part that put the car out of commission. Not a "wow you bearings wore out prematurely" issue. With all the electronics and controllers and sensors to go bad obsessing on the oil is focusing a lot of attention on a pretty sturdy part of the system.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Banned

I have used Royal Purple and recently Amsoil. I was impressed with Amsoil as it has cleaning additives as well as quiet quick starts, however, i don't drive enough to take advantage of the premium brand. I like to change my oil twice a year so I have just changed to Lucas Oil Synthetic. I only drive 10,000 km/yr.

Oil related problems start with "starting your car". The most wear occurs at initial start up before oil actually hits piston rings. This is where synthetic oil shines as it bonds to metal better and runs thinner upon initial start up getting to those places quicker, minimizing that start up engine wear. Over time the rings will deteriorate to where blow-by may occur leading to engine failure due to: lack of compression, contaminating and blocking the catalytic, and oil getting dirty faster.

To see a great pour test comparison in cold weather, check this out:
starts @ 45 secs in.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 11-17-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Oil related problems., Video
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by HandA
How many oil related engine failures are there really? And only counting ones where it was a lubrication problem, not a lack of oil or oil left in the car until it turned to goop.
Every car I've gone really high miles on it was some little (and often expensive) part that put the car out of commission. Not a "wow you bearings wore out prematurely" issue. With all the electronics and controllers and sensors to go bad obsessing on the oil is focusing a lot of attention on a pretty sturdy part of the system.
Yes. For those that follow manufacturers recommendations on specific oil to use and oil change intervals, not something to worry about.

And how many oil-related engine failures have I had, exactly zero.