Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Interesting cars you've been in.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Default Interesting cars you've been in.

Hey I was bored and though tof an interesting thread. Post up some cars you've ridden in and some that you've driven. Try to limit them to cars with good stories about them. Then when you reply ask the person who posted above you to tell the story behind one of each (ridden, driven). this is for one time things not like a daily driver, just things you can tell a story about when someone below you asks.

Cars I have rode in:
-1991 Mitsubishi Gallant VR4 (moded with 295 whp)
-1987 Mazda Rx-7 (modded with 331 whp)
-2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
-2004 Mazda Rx-8
-2002 Mazda Protege LX (the car was racing Autocross when I rode in it)
-2003 Mazda Protege 5

Cars I've driven:
-1987 Mazda Rx-7 (mine, stock)
-2007 Saturn Sky
-2004 Ford Mustang
-2002 Ford Focus

Old 04-08-2007, 04:20 AM
Default RE: Interesting cars you've been in.

ive driven hundreds of cars. use to work for a car dealership
best car from there I have driven was a
Audi TT. fast little car!

ive owned
1974 914 porsche
1983 735i BMW, Euro make
1991 Eagle Talon - could smoke them into third
1994 Mazda Protege
1997 Dodge Neon

ive been in
2003 acura RSX, estimated over 300 horsepower. mean car, and my buddies.
Prowler, dad was going to buy but legs too long for it
bmw z3 roadster - owned by parents car lot

Old 04-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm. Some interesting rules you've made there, 87 Turbo II... and not that easy to follow. A Challenge.

Cars I've ridden in:
1. 1986 Lincoln Towncar
2. 1968 BMW 1600/2002 (Highly modded)
3. 1967 Corvette Sting Ray (327/4-sp. Stock)
4. 1950 Ford Convertible

Cars I've driven:
1. 1973 Porsche 914, 1.7L/5-sp (My sister's)
2. 1963 MGB Roadster
3. 1980 Honda Civic (not stock)
4. Year??? DATSUN 710, Automatic
5. 1970 Triumph TR-6 (TR-4A-IRS front sheetmetal)

OK, 87 Turbo II. I wanna know about you experiences riding in the modded 87 RX7, and driving the Saturn Sky(?).

Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Alright.

I work for a landscaping company and I do graphic design. I met my boss over Mazda forums but I never saw a picture of his car or a post saying what car he owned. We were scheduled to meet for me to take a few pictures of what he does to get ideas for the graphic design. I thought he'd bring his work truck because we were heading off to see landscaping. Luckily, he brought his TII instead. It was a black 87, with a cosmo fuel pump, larger secondary injectors, a garret turbocharger and after all is said and done, 331 horsepower to the wheels. He said "Sine we have 2 gas guzzling Rx-7s here, let's just take mine." I happily jumped into the passenger seat. this beast was insane. Everytime he downshifted to step on the gas, it shot a huge fireball out of the exhaust pipe! The ride was incredible. It was a 1 hour drive to our destinatio, but every time we hit a straight and there were no cops around, he stood on it. It was a great day.

Alright the Saturn Sky. Well this car already has some history to it. Saturn advertised the Sky with a Silver model with red and black 2 toned leather interior. My friend's dad, a Saturn fan, just had to have it. He went to the Saturn dealership 6 months in advance of the release of the Sky, and put in his order, 3rd on the waiting list, to get a Silver one with a red interior and all the options. Xm Radio, Bluetooth, Onstar, HID headlights, heated seats, Foglights, the upgraded audio, and more importantly, a few dealer installed add ons. the sport exhaust, the saturn performance suspension package and the Red Line's limited slip differential. Yes it was going to be perfect, until he got a call from the dealership a month before saying. "Hey, the red and black interrior was a promotional one, it isn't gonig into production, I'll have to give you black leather." My friends dad was upset but he still said yes. So the day arrived to pick this baby up, after 6 months of waiting. He goes to the dealership, and there is a huge mixup the Dealer sold his pre-ordered car! He was infuriated and ready to cancel on waiting for another to come in when the Dealership owner aid. "Hey, you wanted one with a red interior right?" Of course that caught his eye and he turned and said "Yeah, where are you going with this?" The dealer then told him he had a promotional sky with zero miles in it that spent it's life in the showroom meant to get hype about the car up. It was a one off, built with the 2 toned interior and loaded with options. It was meant for advertising purposes only and was supposed ot be sent back to the factory to be disassembled. Well you know Saturn is #1 with customer satisfaction and the guy called Saturn's headquarters, they said that he should give my friend's dad the car because of the mistake. So like that, I know someone with the 3rd Sky ever sold in the U.S, and probably one of th efirst 50 built, and possibly even the very model you have seen on a bllboard. Well my friend let me drive it when his dad wasn't home. And he wasn't very good with a manual transmission and he said "I've never seen my dad really drive it hard, I want to see what this thing can do. Can you do it?" Of course I said yes and I rocketed that thing through a neighborhood, stupid I know, tossing around a rich doctor's baby, limited production, in an area where kids were playing, but no one got hurt, and the Sky returned safely to the garage, but I got to leave saying I got to drive the most desired Saturn Sky ever built (non- Red Line that is).

Old 04-08-2007, 01:03 PM

Now tell me about the corvette and the Porsche.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not as interesting asyour Sky story for sure. but here goes...

I have a brother who's 12 yrs older than I and we share very few of the same interests. i.e. He is NOT a car guy.
When I was about 13, he had a friend w/this '67, last year Sting Ray. Blue in and out basic 327/350, single 4-bbl w/a 4-sp. Nothing special, except that it was a Corvette... and a Sting Ray to boot!! I knew that car, inside and outbetter than they did.
I don't remember now what the reason, or where we were going, but they were taking the Vette and I was invited to go along for the ride. WOW!!! Crammed into the back of that car... no seat, no seatbelt and no way out, but having the time of my life. I had friends w/hot rod Chevies and the like @ that time but had had no experience like this one up till that point.
I just loved the sound and smell of the exhaust and the power. Neither my bro nor his friend were car guys,though they both knew that I was, but neither could appreciate what I was feeling at the time. They were just talkin' away in the front while I listened to the engine, smelled the exhaustand watched the gauges and scenery from that luggage compartment.

OK, the Porsche. A little, short history about my sister first. She is nearly 10 yrs older than I am and when in High School had a boyfriend that took her to see the Powder Puff Derby @ the Allentown fairground. She immediately wanted to drive in one. I don't know what happened to that thinking, because she is about as far from that now as a person can get.
After nursing college she bought, then later sold, a new '69 Beetle Conv. and around 1975 bought this 2 year old Porsche "****box" The lowest of the low when it comes to Porshes, right? 1.7L/4-sp. F.I. which was fairly uncommon back then.
To make a long story shorter, several years later, I was working at an independant shop, in a small town in NJ thatspecialized in BMW's and Volvo's. She had never invited me to drive this car before, but one w/e she came home and complained of rattling noises sometimes coming from the rear, and that her mechanic said she needed new heat exchangers ($$$$, even for a ****box.) Would I take it to the shop and check it out for her?
It was about 8-9 miles from my home in Pa. to the shop in NJ. I got very comfortable in the car very quickly. I even surprised myself.It mayhave been the lowest of the low in Porsche country but it was no Karmann-Ghia either. Well behaved and fairly fast.
Upon inspection Icould find nothing, and nothing that looked terribly familiar to this ole' wrencher either. I also did not hear any rattleon the way to the shop, so I decided to flogg this thing and see what I could getit to do.
Our "test track" was a roughly 3 mile longstretch of road that went from the main road and looped down by the river (Deleware) and back to the main road. It had lots of 15-25mph marked turns and a few chicanes as well that were fun to run @ twice, even three times the marked sp limit, but almost no traffic. FUN road.
I got the car up to speed and it seemed to handle surprisingly well, but then I came up on an almostblind double-S turn that was clearly marked 25mph. I was doing 70. OK, no problem.I knew the turn and what I had to do... so I thought. Half way through the chicane on the other side of the road, the part I had planned to use myself, was an old man and three others in a '70 something Nova coming the other way. He took one look at me and looked like he' **** a brick. Even 25 yrs later I can still see his face.[:@][:'(][]
I my mind I said, "I can't wreck my sisters car,"backed off the gas and wailed the brake pedal. BAD MOVE, Junior. Not what you wanna do in a mid-engined, RWD car in a turn@ speed.
What did I know? Up to that point I had mainly driven front engine RWD vehicles. Snap understeer!! The car immediatley went sideways into the ditch, then back onto the road, still sideways,as I fought the wheel for control again.
I regained control w/o hitting anything/anybody, banged it into third gear and kept going back to the shop. Pulled the little orange car into the shop and closed the door. I was sure the local red-neck po-po were coming after mefor that one. They knew we used that road and didn't like it but never caught us either.
I put the car back up in the air and tried to cool the engine/drivetrain down using all the compressed air we had as fast as possible.
Well, no police came, and the car was undamaged. I never heard or found the problems my sister complained about and I NEVER, to this day, EVER told her I nearly wrecked her Porsche.
She did that all on her own in Boston about 4 yrs. later. The 914 is dead. Long live the 914!!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:32 PM

I worked at Avis Rent A Car for almost 10 years, and have driven 1,000s of cars. Probably hundreds of DIFFERENT kinds of cars. We had a boring fleet where I worked, sadly, until september 11th. After people were stranded without flights back home, they were allowed to drive their rental cars home at no additional (one-way charges) fees to their home cities.Some of the stuff we all of a sudden had were, Chevy Tracker 2 door convertibles, Camaro convertibles, Toyotas we didn't carry, etc. We shared a counter with Hertz, and they got Jags, Volvos and Lincoln LSs and Navigators. My aunt and uncle owned a Ford-Chrysler dealership, and my aunt got a new car every year, usually a Lincoln. A couple years she got Park Aves and T-Birds. My brother had a CJ-7 when I was 11 I thought was the cats meow. I loved riding around in that thing with no top and no doors. Once he had the bikini on and it poured down rain outside, and me, him, and a coworker of his went to lunch. I had to sit in the backseat, as soon as my brother hit the gas I had about 10 gallons of ice cold rain water on me.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:00 AM

driven: prowler, SRT-10 quad cab ram, and my quadcab dakota
rode in: viper, NOS injected supercharged civic, lambo diablo (white knuckled horror)

Old 04-23-2007, 12:52 AM

my buddy has a 2002 cobra, supercharged. it has a ridiculous amount of work in it. last dyno test, before the NOS, transmission, and rear-end work, it was pushing 670hp. it is insane now with the 200 shot of NOS.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 AM

670 at the wheels or at the crank??

and ive only driven a handful of cars... like, my friend's '94 plymouth acclaim, my parents '03 alero, their '89 4 runner, my mazda3, my
92 civic hb, and then the random cars i drive at canadian tire, where i work....

Quick Reply: Interesting cars you've been in.