Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many More Years for the Current CX-5?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 10:47 AM

I have two thoughts on this, One this is being pushed down to everyone while taking away a person's choice. and even if we go all electric, Overall it wont do much since country after country dumps all kinds of pollution and will not change anytime soon.

While the HP will be a nice benefit and also not needing six month oil changes, I still want to have a choice..

Old 12-13-2022, 10:58 AM

Yeah, and I miss my "choice" of being able to buy cars that only get 10mpg...

Old 12-13-2022, 11:03 AM

If I desire 10 miles per gallon and can easily afford it? No problem- If I desire 30+ I buy a small car but I do not want to drive a small car.

Again it's up the person, Most of my friends have large pickups since they tow RV's -average 13 MPG's but for them it works. that's the key- What works for you?
Its none of my business what they buy, how they drive and how much gas they use.

Last edited by Subperson; 12-13-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:47 AM

Actually, it is your business.
For what they and everyone else drives effects the environment you and your family lives in.
If not for past EPA regulations, we would be wearing respirators on the streets in every major city now.
Certain decisions that we all make can and do effect everyone else around us.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:02 PM

I am not all that worried about the environment for the most part since while USA and Canada\Parts of Europe can do everything, Hundred's of other countries do nothing so we suffer anyways.. I doubt Mexico who runs 30+ year old American cars is going to change anytime soon either.

It leads me back to why always US, Why do we always have to make the changes that no one else will...

I

Old 12-13-2022, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Subperson
Also if they are dropping the CX-5 -if you want to change vehicles do it before they discontinue it- resale value will be even worse. I have no desire for any type of electric vehicle. Once a week at the gas station for five minutes is perfect for me and at every corner. When the grid fails and we are all stuck, Gas cars will come back
The other problem with EV's is the limited range. I usually take two days (three, if I am loafing) to get from Cincinnati to Utah in my Jeep. An electric vehicle would probably take over a week with the amount of time necessary to charge every couple of hundred miles and that's assuming there is someplace to charge it. And I guess I would have to take a generator when I head into the bak country where the gas powered Jeep can go almost 500 miles on a tank before I need to head back or pull out a gas can. If I am on really rough terrain, I can still get about 400 miles crawling around in lower gears and low range. An EV wouldn't last nearly that long, especially if it in cold weather.

Old 12-14-2022, 06:37 AM

My friend lives near Buffalo,NY - while they have very nice summers, the winters can be cold in Jan\Feb- His Tesla loses quite a bit of range with the heater, seats and such going. Not such a great choice for many cold weather states at this point. His wife refuses to drive it and has a nice Chevy Tahoe- no problems with this one.

Old 12-14-2022, 10:44 AM
Cool

If the grid fails, they can't refine gas or pump it, or hadn't you contemplated that?…

Total, long term grid failure is not likely. Inadequate short-term available electricity is a certainty, in fact it’s been happening in several states for many years. They’re called rolling blackouts, and those events would without any doubt effect EV charging. A few months ago the governor of California even called on his constituents to avoid charging their EVs at certain times. The situation will only get worse until billions of dollars are invested in the appropriate supporting infrastructure. A gasoline or diesel-powered vehicle could have a full tank and not been effected. Or hadn’t you contemplated that?

Last edited by CarpeDiem; 12-14-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2022, 11:39 AM

Sure, I've thought about it, but then I think about everything, it's how my brain works for better or worse.
The longest I've been without power in my 69 years was less than 24 hours when a fuel truck lost it on an ice and clipped two poles on my street along with two transformers.
Except for accidents, storms and intentional vandalism "the grid" has never gone down where live, nor have we ever had rolling blackouts.
Which is why I've never invested the $8K for a full home generator.
But then again, if the power is out not sure where you'd be driving to, as the majority of stores and businesses would be closed.
I only worked at one job that had a full facility generator (Bio-Tech field) and that was only to safely shutdown production lines and the HVAC/coolers/freezers for product storage.
It's certainly true the infrastructure is not there yet for electric vehicles, but the same was once true for fuel/gas stations (and still is in certain areas).
While I'll be long dead, the world will eventually see all electric vehicles, like it or not, especially now that we know fusion is a reality.
I don't really see that as a bad thing, much like when my grandfather went from horses to a tractor, he didn't like it, but I certainly did.
But now I no longer have my early 70's Firebird & Corvette, Ducati superbikes, Hayabusa, Nitro Bass Boat or BMW Z3, I'm driving a 34mpg CX-5

Old 12-14-2022, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Sure, I've thought about it, but then I think about everything, it's how my brain works for better or worse.
The longest I've been without power in my 69 years was less than 24 hours when a fuel truck lost it on an ice and clipped two poles on my street along with two transformers.
Except for accidents, storms and intentional vandalism "the grid" has never gone down where live, nor have we ever had rolling blackouts.
Which is why I've never invested the $8K for a full home generator.
But then again, if the power is out not sure where you'd be driving to, as the majority of stores and businesses would be closed.
I only worked at one job that had a full facility generator (Bio-Tech field) and that was only to safely shutdown production lines and the HVAC/coolers/freezers for product storage.
It's certainly true the infrastructure is not there yet for electric vehicles, but the same was once true for fuel/gas stations (and still is in certain areas).
While I'll be long dead, the world will eventually see all electric vehicles, like it or not, especially now that we know fusion is a reality.
I don't really see that as a bad thing, much like when my grandfather went from horses to a tractor, he didn't like it, but I certainly did.
But now I no longer have my early 70's Firebird & Corvette, Ducati superbikes, Hayabusa, Nitro Bass Boat or BMW Z3, I'm driving a 34mpg CX-5
The longest we've gone here was a week after a hurricane hit Houston and then came up through the center of the country. Cincinnati got hit with 70 mph winds and our power went out for a week. I very nearly dropped the $12k that Generac wanted for a whole house generator at that point, but common sense prevailed as this was probably a once in a lifetime incident.

I have my doubts about EV's being the long term future, at least in their current general incarnation. The batteries are inefficient and mining the rare, expensive materials to make them is difficult and ecological damaging, not to mention the further environmental damage caused by manufacturing them. We're seeing the big push toward them right now because there is big money to be made if we move that way. I believe that before the end of the century, there will be a new technology developed (or we may just all be relegated to walking and using public transportation depending on where the money and political power end up.

Quick Reply: How Many More Years for the Current CX-5?