Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

How hard to do coolant service?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 12:57 AM
Default How hard to do coolant service?

I went to get an oil change for my 2014 CX-5 Touring 2WD with 105K miles at Wheel Works today. The service person said that the coolant level is low. He recommended that anyways the car is 10 years old (bought in Feb 2013) and with 100K miles, I should do a full coolant service.

Question - can I just drain the current coolant and fill new without a full flush? If so, can I do this myself (I would like to learn - have changed battery, cabin and air filter before)? I assume that I remove the plug at the bottom, collect old coolant in a pan and then close the plug and put new coolant in radiator?

Separate related question - if I do go to a tech (third-party or authorized Mazda dealer) then how much should I expect to pay in San Franciso Bay Area, California? thanks.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

The proper way is to drain the coolant, flush the whole system with water until it runs clear, then top up with Genuine Mazda FL22 coolant.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

If you chose not to use Genuine coolant, you still need to flush the entire cooling system with water as its a big no no to mix different coolants.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If you chose not to use Genuine coolant, you still need to flush the entire cooling system with water as its a big no no to mix different coolants.
Thanks for your help. I was thinking that I will not change the coolant and use the exact same FL22. But it seems that there isn't much available now?

I don't think I have it in me to flush. That seems too much work to run distilled water and burp the system and so forth. Or can I somehow find FL22 and then not flush?

Old 12-18-2022, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by agaurav
Thanks for your help. I was thinking that I will not change the coolant and use the exact same FL22. But it seems that there isn't much available now?

I don't think I have it in me to flush. That seems too much work to run distilled water and burp the system and so forth. Or can I somehow find FL22 and then not flush?
The system does not need "burped". The heads on most all MAZDAs have pretty much eliminated the need to do that. In fact very few engines any more need that done.
But if you are still concerned you only need to elevate the front about 3 degrees' during the filling of coolant. Flushing the old coolant is not that difficult and actually as easy as flushing an American made car from the 60-70's.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by agaurav
I went to get an oil change for my 2014 CX-5 Touring 2WD with 105K miles at Wheel Works today. The service person said that the coolant level is low. He recommended that anyways the car is 10 years old (bought in Feb 2013) and with 100K miles, I should do a full coolant service.

Question - can I just drain the current coolant and fill new without a full flush? If so, can I do this myself (I would like to learn - have changed battery, cabin and air filter before)? I assume that I remove the plug at the bottom, collect old coolant in a pan and then close the plug and put new coolant in radiator?

Separate related question - if I do go to a tech (third-party or authorized Mazda dealer) then how much should I expect to pay in San Franciso Bay Area, California? thanks.

It's fairly easy to do. Just be sure to get Mazda specific coolant. For some reason instead of just the good old fashioned green coolant, there are different colors and different specifications. I don't remember the color Mazda uses but there are two types. One for Mazdas and one not. It will say on the jug if it's for Mazda.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Grouch
It's fairly easy to do. Just be sure to get Mazda specific coolant. For some reason instead of just the good old fashioned green coolant, there are different colors and different specifications. I don't remember the color Mazda uses but there are two types. One for Mazdas and one not. It will say on the jug if it's for Mazda.
Actually, many retail coolants do not state the vehicle specific application but do list the specified equivalent to a formula. So you should be looking for in the case of newer model Mazda's FL-22 compatible.

I would suggest that we all no longer judge what coolant to use in any cooing system anymore based on the "OLD SCHOOL" methods of color.
Speaking of color this also goes with other fluids like automatic transmission fluids as well.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Callisto
Speaking of color this also goes with other fluids like automatic transmission fluids as well.
My ATF is a teal colour

Old 12-27-2022, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
My ATF is a teal color
ha! mine now in the Mazda is completely red but in Camaro's racing automatic it is almost clear and in one of my TH400 it is Blue.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:47 PM

I bought 2 gallons of the original Mazda FL-22 coolant. Watched a couple of YouTube videos but not 100% clear and hence these questions:

1. Do I need to measure how much I drained to be able to put the same amount + some more? Can I not tell how much I need by just looking at the reservoir level?

2. Do I need to burb the system for removing air bubbles?

3. Do I need to run distilled water through the radiator at least once? How bad is it if I just drain all existing coolant and then just add new coolant?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: How hard to do coolant service?