Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! My CX-5 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 12:40 PM

New batteries off the shelf are seldom "fully charged", and if it isn't, it won't work either.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by shahnc6
I asked for a load test of my old battery and they deemed it to be a bad batt. They showed it was running a low voltage so I grabbed the new one. I hooked it all up and i'm hearing the same click I heard before.

all accessories work all lights locks and lift gate for the trunk.

Just doesn't want to start it seems
I would suggest to try what I responded with.

A battery in good health @ rested 12.5 volts In a newer Mazda can pull the battery voltage 1 1/2 to 2 volts down (depending on the battery type and rating) at initial starting. If the battery drops below 10 volts you would likely only hear the clicking! I did not give the ohms because that goes into another complete subject of how ohm reacts to a load.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
New batteries off the shelf are seldom "fully charged", and if it isn't, it won't work either.
Yup! I have often recommended that you also ask the salesperson to load test the battery or just check the voltage. Never go by the sticker for the date which can represent only the shelf date or even the date it was cycled back into the retail market.
Many new batteries are serviced even in the big change auto parts store by independent manufacturing reps like interstate batteries as one example. They will routinely pull batteries that have been sitting with a 3-month sticker and swap them out for a tested updated sticker version. Then return the dated batteries back to the warehouse for load testing and if found good they get a new sticker and cycled back out in the market. Comon practice for years(decades).

Old 06-19-2023, 04:08 PM
Default Callisto

Originally Posted by Callisto
I know this is going to read weird but did you have your new purchase battery load tested before you walked out the door and installed it?

I would suggest that you do "old School" starter checking and jump the solenoid lead directly. That is after to make sure you have a solid and in good health battery.
If then it does not turn over the engine pull the starter and have it bench tested. Or just buy a new one and cross your finger your guessing it to be the starter is correct?

Hello, so I would need to check the starter the old school way and jump the lead solenoid? How would I hook up the jumper cables? if I could just get it running to get it to the shop that would be nice

Old 06-19-2023, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by shahnc6
Hello, so I would need to check the starter the old school way and jump the lead solenoid? How would I hook up the jumper cables? if I could just get it running to get it to the shop that would be nice
Just be careful !!! Not much room down there for cables on the start.

Old 06-19-2023, 08:51 PM
Default In the old days

Just be careful !!! Not much room down there for cables on the start.
In the good old 60s we used to take a hammer to it and beat it ,and it worked a lot of the time to get it started in a emergency .

Old 06-20-2023, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
In the good old 60s we used to take a hammer to it and beat it ,and it worked a lot of the time to get it started in a emergency .
Ya well most starters DON"T like to be hammered on. Those starters *back then(built with poor electrical parts and lots of wide clearances/tolerances) ) were for the most part not close to the same as starters today. i would not advise to hit them with a hammer!
My advise DO NOT HIT YOUR MAZDA STARTER WITH ANY HAMMAR OR FOR THAT MATTER ANY OBJECT!

Old 06-20-2023, 11:38 AM

Ya well most starters DON"T like to be hammered on. Those starters *back then(built with poor electrical parts and lots of wide clearances/tolerances) ) were for the most part not close to the same as starters today. i would not advise to hit them with a hammer!
My advise DO NOT HIT YOUR MAZDA STARTER WITH ANY HAMMAR OR FOR THAT MATTER ANY OBJECT!
So, the old rule of "if you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem" is no longer valid.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by schmieg
So, the old rule of "if you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem" is no longer valid.
. hahahahahahaha!

Old 06-20-2023, 02:25 PM

I always carried a hammer with me in my "mud runner" Chevy Cheyenne with 6" lift kit.
The rebuilt starter I bought would often not engage or disengage, without a gentle tap.
That is, until I finally took the time to take it apart and fix it correctly.
I was too easy to get under the truck with a hammer than to remove the starter, so I was never in a hurry to replace it.
Until that day it was pouring rain and the parking lot was muddy at the video rental shop and I was under the truck.
Just to date myself, that would be VHS rental shop

Quick Reply: Help! My CX-5 wont start