Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! My CX-5 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 08:39 PM
Default Help! My CX-5 wont start

I just got my Cx5 2020 and i'm having an issue. I've now twice couldn't get it to start! Why would this be the case?

I get in the car, all the accessories work, key fob works, but when I go to start... Click

and nothing else.

I fixed the problem once by unhooking my battery and rehooking it. Could it be the battery?

Last edited by grim_reaper; 06-23-2023 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by shahnc6
I just got my Cx5 2020 and i'm having an issue. I've now twice couldn't get it to start! Why would this be the case?

I get in the car, all the accessories work, key fob works, but when I go to start... Click

and nothing else.

I fixed the problem once by unhooking my battery and rehooking it. Could it be the battery?
Could be. Also check your fuse box under the hood for any blown fuses. On my 2014, I'd tell you to look at fuse 15 especially, but I don't know if that is the same on a 2020. If one of the 40 or 50 amp fuses is blown and it blows again when you try starting it after replacing it, you may be looking at a short somewhere or an alternator that has gone or is going bad.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:01 AM

A bad starter will also "click" but it's most likely the battery, you need to get it fully tested.
My 2020 battery only lasted a year, I replaced it with a much better battery.
I also had to replace the battery in key FOB.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:12 AM

I would first get your battery load tested!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop disconnecting the battery unless you are suspecting a bad battery connection both on the battery and st the ground and starter.

By the limited information you posted give no indication having a bad starter.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:16 PM

The OP apparently has no idea of the age of his battery or how it was treated - did it ever become fully discharged, etc. There seems to be enough power to run some of the electronics, but not enough to fully engage the starter. If he does start it with this battery he will likely get a lot of warning lights.

While the cause could be a poor battery connection, he really needs to get it load tested to determine its actual condition, a “voltage test” is pretty useless. Places like Autozone will test it for free. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2023, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
The OP apparently has no idea of the age of his battery or how it was treated - did it ever become fully discharged, etc. There seems to be enough power to run some of the electronics, but not enough to fully engage the starter. If he does start it with this battery he will likely get a lot of warning lights.

While the cause could be a poor battery connection, he really needs to get it load tested to determine its actual condition, a “voltage test” is pretty useless. Places like Autozone will test it for free. Good luck.
We both forgot to mention make sure the battery fully charged if you are taking it in by itself and if the battery voltage is below 12.5 volts stable the test may indicate to charge and retest?

Old 06-18-2023, 08:18 PM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Callisto
We both forgot to mention make sure the battery fully charged if you are taking it in by itself and if the battery voltage is below 12.5 volts stable the test may indicate to charge and retest?

Thanks for all the feedback everybody !!

Old 06-19-2023, 08:57 AM
Default Still Not Starting....

and nothing else.

Changed the bad battery at autozone and still nothing but a click. I also checked my fuses and didn't see any blown.

Could it be the starter??

Old 06-19-2023, 11:04 AM

Changed the bad battery at autozone and still nothing but a click. I also checked my fuses and didn't see any blown.

Could it be the starter??
I know this is going to read weird but did you have your new purchase battery load tested before you walked out the door and installed it?

I would suggest that you do "old School" starter checking and jump the solenoid lead directly. That is after to make sure you have a solid and in good health battery.
If then it does not turn over the engine pull the starter and have it bench tested. Or just buy a new one and cross your finger your guessing it to be the starter is correct?

Old 06-19-2023, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I know this is going to read weird but did you have your new purchase battery load tested before you walked out the door and installed it?

I would suggest that you do "old School" starter checking and jump the solenoid lead directly. That is after to make sure you have a solid and in good health battery.
If then it does not turn over the engine pull the starter and have it bench tested. Or just buy a new one and cross your finger your guessing it to be the starter is correct?

I asked for a load test of my old battery and they deemed it to be a bad batt. They showed it was running a low voltage so I grabbed the new one. I hooked it all up and i'm hearing the same click I heard before.

all accessories work all lights locks and lift gate for the trunk.

Just doesn't want to start it seems

Quick Reply: Help! My CX-5 wont start