Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights flicker on/off badly in the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:09 PM
Default Headlights flicker on/off badly in the rain...

Hello. I'm having an issue with my 2016 CX-5 GT and hoped I might get some ideas here. The car is under warranty but I haven't been to the dealer yet because by the time I can get the car in everything is working again. They finally just said to bring it in the second it acts up, so I'm waiting for that, but am afraid to drive at night in the rain. Here is what's happening:

When it rains for several days the symptoms start. (I'm linking to a Dropbox video I took.) When it first started the light would sometimes just shut of for 15-20 seconds. But usually the headlights flicker on and off independently with no rhyme or reason. I've intentionally driven through puddles, etc to try and recreate it, but 3 times now it has only occurred after several days of rain. I don't know if the high beams or DLRs are doing the same thing, but will test next time. After a day or two of dry weather it clears up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r5g7uhtvc..._0566.MOV?dl=0

I don't have a lot of confidence in my dealers service department (whichI won't get into), especially if I end up taking it in when things are working, which I'm getting desperate enough to do hoping to get lucky. I talked to Mazda corp who were adamant that they weren't allowed to just start replacing suspect parts due to the cost even for something so dangerous. I get that, but I also don't have a reliable car under warranty and this may well cause an accident. The dealer inexplicably didn't want to see the video so they could tell me if it was worth bringing the symptom-less car in, but I'm hoping it will give someone here a clue as to what it might be and if there is anything I can do in the meantime because this is really driving me crazy. It must be a seal or grounding issue and I would think the behavior in the video would narrow it down since both igniters are indecently turning on and off, but this isn't my technical area, so I might be wrong.

Thank for your help!
Brian

Old 06-25-2018, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

In my market there is a known issue with the headlight wiring looms.

The fix is to replace the wiring loom with a modified loom for both headlights.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:08 AM

Thank you- I'll let them know and see if we have the same problem in the US. It was doing it again last night and I got up early today so I can be there when they open, but surprise, the headlights are working. D'oh!