Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Getting new 2020 CX5 - GTR or Signature?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 12:55 PM
Default Getting new 2020 CX5 - GTR or Signature?

About ready to pull the trigger and get a new 2020 CX-5 (mostly because I want the higher output turbo engine). Any thoughts/recommendations on whether the Signature is worth the extra $$. I am mostly struggling because of the interior color choice - I love the Parchment leather, but cannot get that in the Signature, so leaning towards the Grand Touring Reserve. Just not sure if the cosmetic bits and surround view camera is worthy of the extra $2K for the Signature. I also find the Caturra leather in the Signature to be pretty dark - nearly black.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by skr9
About ready to pull the trigger and get a new 2020 CX-5 (mostly because I want the higher output turbo engine). Any thoughts/recommendations on whether the Signature is worth the extra $$. I am mostly struggling because of the interior color choice - I love the Parchment leather, but cannot get that in the Signature, so leaning towards the Grand Touring Reserve. Just not sure if the cosmetic bits and surround view camera is worthy of the extra $2K for the Signature. I also find the Caturra leather in the Signature to be pretty dark - nearly black.
It just depends on your needs. Do you like what the extra $$ gets you? Are the features worth it? Very personal decision. I would love the front parking sensors offered on the Sg, but you can only get rear sensors on lesser cars (which I don't need with a backup camera as standard). Like you, I don't understand the lack of a color choice for the leather, but since it is higher grade Nappa I guess they wanted to control production costs.

Here is the full list of extras for the Sg model over the GT-R:
  • 19" aluminum-alloy wheels with Dark Silver finish and P225/55 R19 all-season tires
  • Signature badge
  • Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®20
  • LED lighting for glovebox, cargo area and vanity mirrors
  • Unique overhead console with LED room light and down light
  • Mazda Navigation System
  • SiriusXM® 3-year Traffic and Travel Link subscription* includes current information for:
  • --- Traffic
  • --- Weather
  • --- Sports scores
  • --- Fuel prices
  • --- Nearby parking or parking by destination
  • Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats
  • Genuine Layered wood trim
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
  • Black cloth headliner
  • 360º View Monitor26
  • Front and rear parking sensors

Old 02-11-2020, 03:22 PM

Agreed - and thanks for posting the info. I wish Mazda had an options list and showed which models they were standard/optional like some other car makers do - so thanks for that list.
I do like the darker finish on the wheels and the front sensors - just debating whether I'll be happy with that dark interior vs. the nice bright parchment!

Old 02-11-2020, 08:22 PM

If your budget allows, I would always go with the highest trim level on the CX-5.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 PM

The decision of which level to get is based on how you value the various options. I tend to prefer a mid level trim, but that’s just me.

I created a spreadsheet for the 2019 CX-5 a column for each trim level. It was easy to line up the columns so it was clear exactly what was in each level.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:37 PM

Happy to report I am now in a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve - Dark Crystal Blue w/parchment interior. Now time to have fun and accessorize!

Old 02-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Happy to report I am now in a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve - Dark Crystal Blue w/parchment interior. Now time to have fun and accessorize!
Great Choice. My last Mazda was Dark Crystal Blue. The paint held up great only one chip after 100,000 miles. Still looks brand new.

Enjoy it.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Great Choice. My last Mazda was Dark Crystal Blue. The paint held up great only one chip after 100,000 miles. Still looks brand new.

Enjoy it.
Thanks!
I've always had grey cars, and since there were no Machine Greys on the lot, my dealer offered some added discounts if I were willing to make a deal on the dark blue (which I didn't mind as a color); my only concern is about being careful to not use car washes - I worry about those swirls being visible on a darker color

Old 02-17-2020, 03:42 PM

Thanks!
I've always had grey cars, and since there were no Machine Greys on the lot, my dealer offered some added discounts if I were willing to make a deal on the dark blue (which I didn't mind as a color); my only concern is about being careful to not use car washes - I worry about those swirls being visible on a darker color
I can't help you much with the car wash question. I have not taken a car to a car wash in years and it has been many years since I have been to one that actually touched the car.

I will say that people complain about Mazda's Red and to a lesser extent the Machine Gray being softer paints and vulnerable to both chips and swirls from washing. I have never heard of complaints about the non-premium Mazda paints.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:25 PM

You've had your car for a little over a year now. Are you still liking the Parchment interior? My wife wants a GTR with a SRCM exterior and Parchment interior but i've received some advice to avoid the lighter Parchment interior. What's the real world showing you?

Quick Reply: Getting new 2020 CX5 - GTR or Signature?