Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Pods

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 12:25 AM
Default Gauge Pods

I have a '20 CX-5 w turbo. I'd like to install some gauges but there is not a lot of free space. Oil pressure and voltage would be nice plus perhaps oil temp and - to dream - intake manifold pressure/vacuum, exhaust temp...etc).

Has anyone done something on this issue?

Old 11-01-2023, 09:06 AM

You can make your own but it takes some time and perhaps a little experience? You start with the universal trio gauge panel. If you are still interested, I will post more details.
But it will take removing both pillars in the interior for the project and would cost between 100-300 depending on the end result. This is for the pillar only not the gauges.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:23 AM

Have you considered an Ultragauge?
https://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Or maybe Torque Pro on your phone?
https://torque-bhp.com/

Old 11-01-2023, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzard
Have you considered an Ultragauge?
https://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
The Ultra gauge is a great choice, but I read that the op wanted gauges? I have both in my Mazda but the Ultra Guage does give a wider range of selection if the PIDs are available to view. But my brain just like when I fly digital is great but for reference a analog gauge IMHO adjusts the brain to think more what is going on?

As for the 2 choices IMHO NEVER, NEVER use cell phone program to monitor engine and drivetrain operation. There are so many negatives to those I wouldn't know where to begin?

These are older pictures of my Mazda that I use both analog and the ULTRA GAUGE.

Gauge mounting and other custom work:
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 11-01-2023, 02:17 PM

apologies....it is a 2021 model. My bad. Calisto, a big thank you for your reply. I can only see that the pillar area is my only option for analog gauges. You reference both pillars...why? I have a three pod arrangement on the drivers side pillar in my truck. Do they make one for this Mazda that you have seen? In my Lexus CT200, the label on the pillars clearly states that airbags are inside. I assume not for the 2021 CX-5? My voltmeter needs are currently met with a 12 volt plug and that gives a good readout number and an available USB port so volt info not so critical. But oil pressure and temps are. If a three pod cover is available, I would probably add intake vacuum/pressure. Everything else would be via the Ultragauge set up (I like the dual system you have). Any advice/comments appreciated.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sojourner55
apologies....it is a 2021 model. My bad. Calisto, a big thank you for your reply. I can only see that the pillar area is my only option for analog gauges. You reference both pillars...why? I have a three pod arrangement on the drivers side pillar in my truck. Do they make one for this Mazda that you have seen? In my Lexus CT200, the label on the pillars clearly states that airbags are inside. I assume not for the 2021 CX-5? My voltmeter needs are currently met with a 12 volt plug and that gives a good readout number and an available USB port so volt info not so critical. But oil pressure and temps are. If a three pod cover is available, I would probably add intake vacuum/pressure. Everything else would be via the Ultragauge set up (I like the dual system you have). Any advice/comments appreciated.
Good point about the air bag you would need to check that before any project like a pillar gauge set
I need to look at your model console area. Maybe you can take one and post it? If you looked at my thread, I made my own in that area and it looks factory! There is also pictured my Ultra gauge custom bracket I made as well.
From post# 7
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums
The temperature gauge actually monitor 3 points of monitoring based on a separate switch toggling between the different sensors between 2 engine and 1 oil. And the oil is not close to the factory oil pressure senso so I can compare analog readings with the ECU report.

They do not make any pillars for newer Mazda of most any Model for a long time. Not popular as they once were I guess. The reason for both is the process of making a 3 gauge look OE and not aftermarket universal is the fining of both needs to be the same for summitry and esthetics.

I have built 2 custom 3 pillar set up and was trying to find the picture? They are on other forums and one of the forums is now long gone.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:26 PM

This is so far the only two pictures I can find. This stated out as a Univeral 3 gauge pod that I fabricated on a factory pillar. Then did fiberglass filler sanding priming it and then had it Hydro dipped for carbon fiber look.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:45 PM

Callisto....this....is....amazing !!!! I'll try to take and send some pics in the next few days. Thanks a bunch for your help and your time.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:24 AM

I always have a spare trio gauge panel for future projects possibly the Mazda. I should have done it before I had the pillars Hydro dipped.
I took a couple pictures today of my other Car and the molded into the factory piller for large Autometer gauges.
Yup I do like my gauges. LOL