Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Gas pedal sticky when cold or park for a few days - CX-5 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 08:53 AM
Default Gas pedal sticky when cold or park for a few days - CX-5 2013

Hi guys, I have been noticing that our 2013 CX-5 with 81k miles, that the gas pedal feels stuck when first time used in the morning. After that first push it feels normal again, if the car is parked for a few hours or overnight and you try to press the pedal again it feels sticky again. Try the search feature on the forum but couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2020, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Get your throttle body cleaned. They do gum up over the years.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Get your throttle body cleaned. They do gum up over the years.
I thought about that. But itns the CX-5 and by wire gas pedal?....Im still kind of new to the CX-5 mechanical.
​​​​

Old 04-22-2020, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Still has a conventional throttle body, operated by a electric motor, same as a car with a throttle cable.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Still has a conventional throttle body, operated by a electric motor, same as a car with a throttle cable.
Good to know, ill check it out this weekend. Thanks for the assis@grim_reaper

Old 11-09-2022, 07:09 PM
Default 2016 cx-5

i recently bought a 2016 CX-5 and its doing the same, did cleaning the throttle body fix the issue or was there another problem/fix?

Old 11-10-2022, 09:41 AM

Throttle bodies can and do get a film that builds up around the throttle shat that can cause poor throttle engagement net. Routinely cleaning it will insure good operation. Use ONLY THROTLE BODY CLAENER. It is not always necessary to remove the throttle body but a preferred method to get it completely cleaned.

Old 11-10-2022, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by kaimanson
Hi guys, I have been noticing that our 2013 CX-5 with 81k miles, that the gas pedal feels stuck when first time used in the morning. After that first push it feels normal again, if the car is parked for a few hours or overnight and you try to press the pedal again it feels sticky again. Try the search feature on the forum but couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks
recently bought a 2016 CX-5 and its doing the same, did cleaning the throttle body fix the issue or was there another problem/fix?

Old 11-10-2022, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by kde2016
recently bought a 2016 CX-5 and its doing the same, did cleaning the throttle body fix the issue or was there another problem/fix?
I really try to get those with TB issues to remove and clean them. While the TB is removed NOW is also the time to remove the IAT, MAP and any other intake sensors and clean them ALWAY USE SENSOR SAFE or SPECIFIC SENSOR CLEANERS.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:40 PM

There is no physical connection from the throttle body to the throttle pedal. I would suspect some type of spill or interference with the pedal. forget the engine. electrical signals can't "grab" your throttle pedal and make it stick. It's a double Hall-Effect sensor under the plastic pedal that tells the computer what you want the throttle body to do. There is no mechanical feedback loop for you to "feel" the throttle body's action.

Quick Reply: Gas pedal sticky when cold or park for a few days - CX-5 2013