Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expected battery life ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 08:18 AM
Default Expected battery life ??

What is the average life span I should expect from my 2021 CX 5 battery?
Vehicle will be 3 yrs. old this coming December. 19,000 miles on odometer.
Mostly stop and go driving in year round hot climate.
A recent battery test showed fully charged however, I want to replace it before it goes bad.
Feedback is appreciated.

george m44

Old 08-08-2023, 09:18 AM

In all my "new electronics" vehicles I've never got more than 2 years maximum out of the OEM battery, my 2020 CX-5 OEM battery I got just one year.
With good replacement batteries I got at least 3 years, however each new vehicle has an increase in electronics and takes more and more battery power.
Being in Florida you have the "luxury" of not worrying about cold weather starting issues or possibly freezing in blizzard conditions.
But if it were me, and if you can afford it, I'd change it out for the best battery you can purchase.
Please note this is my experience and my opinion and others will have theirs.

Last edited by Lobstah; 08-09-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by george m44
What is the average life span I should expect from my 2021 CX 5 battery?
Vehicle will be 3 yrs. old this coming December. 19,000 miles on odometer.
Mostly stop and go driving in year round hot climate.
A recent battery test showed fully charged however, I want to replace it before it goes bad.
Feedback is appreciated.

george m44
There is really no such thing as "AVERAGE BATTERY LIFE" because there are simply to many variables to consider.

If your are getting a shop that is correctly load testing your battery, then you should really have no reason to change it. I would recommend and often do check your battery EVERY 4 months or season change.
We test battery every day for free and many times weekly fond batteries that are in their starting point of their decline but still pass a load test. But that kind of test does have a labor fee. lol.

I might add that we sell 11 different brands of batteries and all types and there is not one that is the best only some are better. The main thing when you shop for a new battery is to check the PRODUCTION MANUFACTURE date and get the freshest and this is not the sticker or any sticker on any battery. It is the melted long serial number in the case of the battery. To decipher the date code, you need to research it on the actual manufacture of the battery website. keep in mind that the brand name does not mean they were the manufacture of the battery.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:35 AM

I have not bought a battery for a newer car with all of the electric accessories that they now have; the last batteries that I bought were for a 2011 Camry snd a 2009 Miata. In my experience with older technology cars the batteries always last just past the warranty period, almost like clockwork. I am not looking forward to having to buy batteries for the 2 cars that I now own, a 2022 Lincoln Nautilus with auto stop/start and a base 2023 Mazda CX-5. Cars with auto stop/start require some sort of special battery; starting the car repeatedly at every stop light can’t be good for either the battery or the engine and I disable it every time I drive but it resets automatically when the engine is turned off.

Old 08-08-2023, 11:37 AM

Mine purchased May 2019; my OEM [PANASONIC] battery reads only 11.4v, but starts every time, so am leaving for now

Old 08-08-2023, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by dannyw
I have not bought a battery for a newer car with all of the electric accessories that they now have; the last batteries that I bought were for a 2011 Camry snd a 2009 Miata. In my experience with older technology cars the batteries always last just past the warranty period, almost like clockwork. I am not looking forward to having to buy batteries for the 2 cars that I now own, a 2022 Lincoln Nautilus with auto stop/start and a base 2023 Mazda CX-5. Cars with auto stop/start require some sort of special battery; starting the car repeatedly at every stop light can’t be good for either the battery or the engine and I disable it every time I drive but it resets automatically when the engine is turned off.
Actually you have it backwards. The newer generators and ECU controled chrarging make battery life longer then before.
Unfortuntaly there are a few factors unlike old school. One is the heat under the hood of Emission control engines from 2002 are much greater and that effects the longevity of batteries.

Onboard electronic do not age a battery unless you are constantly using ACC when the engine is off. i

Originally Posted by Geluk
Mine purchased May 2019; my OEM [PANASONIC] battery reads only 11.4v, but starts every time, so am leaving for now
That is not good... hope you have a good towing insurance!

*Load test it I am sure it is going to show BAD!
*You will need to charge and retest. The minim testing voltage even if a battery is bad is 12.50 volts. Unless a battery is damaged a bad battery will still charge to 12.50 volts. It just will not support a load.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

I do often read on forums there are always members no matter what the platform that seem to be exception to the normal events, or rules especially when it comes to battery life.

ASE

Old 08-08-2023, 01:19 PM

It may not be “normal” but it has certainly been my experience ever since I started driving in the 60’s that car batteries last just past the warranty period. It is uncanny how that has always happed to me. Usually they will die within 1-3 months after the expiration. I have always wondered how battery manufacturers can be so exact on this but that has always been my experience, not saying that it happens that way for others.

Old 08-08-2023, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by dannyw
It may not be “normal” but it has certainly been my experience ever since I started driving in the 60’s that car batteries last just past the warranty period. It is uncanny how that has always happed to me. Usually they will die within 1-3 months after the expiration. I have always wondered how battery manufacturers can be so exact on this but that has always been my experience, not saying that it happens that way for others.
so you are the one... LOL

To be accurate battery manufactures are not exact with how long any of their batteries last. It is physically impossible physics in the known universe as we understand it.

While I do believe what you say is true for you , that's about it.

In the 60s-80s many "service Gas Stations" did not generally do a complete testing of batteries. Wet batteries were generally charged and if they held a full 12 volts were deemed good. Load testing was not and almost none existent. While there were very skilled and trained "mechanics" that knew how to properly test and charge batteries they were far and few working at most all Service gas Stations and few auto repair shops. Please note my exact disceptation of service providers.
For me personally I was finally trained in Understanding the complete 12 volts system about in the late 70's. I still have all my original testing equipment all but the battery chargers I used back then. Please don't make me dig them out and take a picture of them. LOL But I will if challenged. lol

Since then say from the late 70' t p[resent I have literally sold thousands of automotive, boat, airplane, Motorcycle batteries and have been through various business distributors for some of the top brand batteries sold even today.

As for MAZDA which this forum is about, the factory batteries will last fairly close to what the specif battery warranty period is so long as there are no added electrical equipment or high use of accessory equipment which may change the ECU and charging rate? Maybe? Most batteries unfortunately are already close to a 1-2 years before the Mazda was finally sold to a customer. So when those batteries tend to go bad most think it is because they are poor quality batteries. Not the case. But anyone that once to learn why there has been a couple threads that this has come up before and you can use the search engine to find the information. I get tired of typing the same information sometimes on threads and forums repeatedly.

ASE

Old 08-08-2023, 05:35 PM

Of course how the vehicle is used affects the battery life. My previous
vehicle, a GMC, was going on 10+ years on the original battery.
BUT, it saw 1 to 4 highway trips each week of ~20+ miles.
I'm sure that those trips fully charged the battery.
The current Mazda is going on 3 years with the same highway useage.
So I hoping for a couple more years of life on this battery.

My 2¢

Old 08-08-2023, 07:05 PM
Default Replaced battery

Thank you gentlman for replies
Idecided to Replaced Battery Today with a Walmart Everstart Maxx, Group 35, 640 CCA,. $139.84
After removing cables & hold down clamp, I removed insulation sleeve, made it easier to lift battery up and out. I also used a 14" battery strap (Bought on Amazon) to lift battery out. Otherwise, very hard to grasp battery.
Wire brushed posts, applied dielectric grease and reinstalled everything. Vehicle started, no problems, previous settings apear to be saved.
Expected battery life ??-g0uayzwl.jpg
Expected battery life ??-b9xb1n9l.jpg
Attachment 8894

Attachment 8895

Last edited by george m44; 08-08-2023 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added info.

Quick Reply: Expected battery life ??