Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Embarrassing problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 09:10 AM
Default Embarrassing problem...

Greetings fellow CX-5 owners. Thanks for having me here. I have an embarrassing problem. I've never owned a car like my new 2019 CX-5, (I purchased it a month ago and it was a lease turn-in with only 10,000 miles on it. Looked brand new.) I really love it. Best car I have ever owned. But I keep doing an awful thing by accident. Because I now have a fob and no key, and the car has a pushbutton start, I have, at last count, left my car running and walked away from it five times! The last time was particularly bad, as I left the car running, outside my house,. for HOURS. We had a tree fall on our house and I was distracted by dealing with the tree guys. When I realized what I had done, I went inside and the display screen said it was too hot to function. The damn car runs so quiet that you can barely hear it running. I guess my question is: is there a way that I can set the car to alert me or auto shut off if I get out and walk away while it is running? I have been trying really hard to remember to press the Engine Stop button, but sometimes I just forget, because I am so used to taking a key out of an ignition after turning off my car. I CAN'T be the only knucklehead who has done thins. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:16 AM

As far as I am aware the only way to do that is with a specialized custom aftermarket alarm system. Mine shuts off after 3 minutes. This not only prevents what happen to you but also a would-be thief only gets 3 minutes of driving time. You cannot restart my MAZDA without a special re activation sequence.

I am surprised you did not hear or ignored the walk away chime indicating that you left the engine running?

Old 08-08-2022, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
As far as I am aware the only way to do that is with a specialized custom aftermarket alarm system. Mine shuts off after 3 minutes. This not only prevents what happen to you but also a would-be thief only gets 3 minutes of driving time. You cannot restart my MAZDA without a special re activation sequence.

I am surprised you did not hear or ignored the walk away chime indicating that you left the engine running?

Hey, thanks for responding. I get no walk-away chime at all, and when the engine is idling, it is extremely quiet. I am an audio producer, and my hearing is excellent. I literally don't hear the car running. I will simply have to pay much more attention and make the stop button press a more thought-about part of exiting my vehicle. This sort of thing has never been a problem before. It's making me feel absolutely senile. Thanks again for your info. I like your aftermarket solution!

Old 08-08-2022, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by dgiuffre
Hey, thanks for responding. I get no walk-away chime at all, and when the engine is idling, it is extremely quiet. I am an audio producer, and my hearing is excellent. I literally don't hear the car running. I will simply have to pay much more attention and make the stop button press a more thought-about part of exiting my vehicle. This sort of thing has never been a problem before. It's making me feel absolutely senile. Thanks again for your info. I like your aftermarket solution!
You might want to check your vehicle setup (not sure how to do that in the 2019), but my 2014 will chime and a notice will come up on the dash if you exit the vehicle with the fob in your pocket while leaving the engine running. If you have the auto locking system on, maybe you are confusing the two sounds.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:53 PM

Thanks very much for the info! I have a 2019 Sport model. I actually just got back from the dealership, and this is a common problem with this model. The 2020 model takes care of this problem, and adds the "walkaway" chime, which my model does not have. I really need to just focus on that Engine Stop button when I am done driving. Thanks again for your reply!

Old 08-08-2022, 03:24 PM

Thanks very much for the info! I have a 2019 Sport model. I actually just got back from the dealership, and this is a common problem with this model. The 2020 model takes care of this problem, and adds the "walkaway" chime, which my model does not have. I really need to just focus on that Engine Stop button when I am done driving. Thanks again for your reply!

On my 2016 CX-5, of I shut the door and I'm outside, I get 5 fairly noticeable beeps. I'm deaf as a post and can ear them fairly well. They aren't that loud, at least not to me, but they are really noticeable. I believe there is a way to turn this on in settings.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:43 PM

My 2018 has the walk-away chime. Interesting that they apparently removed it for 2019 and then re-introduced it in 2020.

Old 08-08-2022, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by M4C3
My 2018 has the walk-away chime. Interesting that they apparently removed it for 2019 and then re-introduced it in 2020.
It might not be available in the Sport trim.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:30 PM

Turn the radio up. Tune to a country station and you won't wait to turn the engine off.

My 2¢

Old 08-10-2022, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Turn the radio up. Tune to a country station and you won't wait to turn the engine off.

My 2¢

...unless you're a Country fan.