Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving without the key

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Default Driving without the key

I have a 2012 CX5 and it was working well until yesterday. I was driving out of our garage when I forgot my phone inside the house and leave the car - with it's engine turn on - to get my phone.. unknowingly, I placed the car key in the table where I picked up my phone.. I drove my way out and already reached about 15 kms away from home when the red light key indicator illuminated - telling me that the key is out of range. I continue driving as I thought the key was just misplaced somewhere within the car until I reached a safe parking area wherein I searched for the key inside the vehicle. finding nothing, I called home and was advised that I left the key. I turned off the engine and of course, it did not turn on again. What puzzled me is how this possibly happened?. The engine should have stopped few meters from home when the car detected that the key was out of range. Appreciate experts comments on the possible cause. My appointment with local Mazda service center is still few days ahead and wishes to have to a hint on what happened.. Nonetheless, when the key was delivered to my location, it turned on without any problem and I drove as i normally do.. Thanks in advance for your kind comments and experts advise..

Old 11-25-2018, 09:25 PM

Your vehicle operated the way I would have expected and the way mine operates. There may not be a perfect response but I prefer the way it works over the alternative.

I would prefer to safely get to my destination then to have the vehicle stop at a red light, highway traffic jam or anywhere other then where I determined to be safe. Better still, you were notified that you were missing the key.

I guess if the vehivle were stolen, I would have a different preference.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 AM

well you just explained to me basically WHY mazda makes the cx-5 turn OFF when you open the door using the MMS remote start..... they said its for safety .. now i totally understand why !!