Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 02:16 PM

That's why my local dealers were reluctant to trade it in: they were suspicious of the turbo (and the camshaft). Another reason for me to move on. I hope they have sorted these problems in the later models, I can't imagine they are still releasing an engine with such a self destruct mechanism!

Old 09-22-2019, 03:54 AM
Super Moderator

They supposedly fixed the camshaft issue, head gasket issue, & oil dilution issues in either late KE series or the start of the KF series.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:35 PM

That's a great comfort, given that I am about to pick up my new one!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Thrustco
I finally had a result! My car has been off the road for 3 months in the last year, first with the oil issue and then the head gasket. My local agents seemed somewhat out of their depth at times. However, MazdaNZ paid for both fixes, the first at 80k and the second at 125k, so well out of warranty. They then gave me a reasonable discount and a not very flash but OK trade-in price to encourage me to buy Mazda again. I had to go out of town as my local dealers didn't want to touch my old car and offered peanuts for a trade.
Can I ask how you managed to negotiate this? Is there any evidence you can share with me as I have the same issue with head gasket on a 2012 diesel CX-5 but Mazda will not assist in any way. I have just had to pay £85 for them to tell me its a failed head gasket and possible cylinder head and they have quoted £3,000 for the repair.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 PM

I’m having the same problems with mine, can’t believe Australia is recalling them and New Zealand isn’t. Looks like two people have had luck with Mazda repairing the problem. Have you owned your vehicles from new? I bought mine second hand and have had nothing but issues. First was a exhaust sensor and have it go into limp mode, now multiple lights and overflowing overflow bottle. I’ve got 150k on mine but it’s been serviced every 10k, but it’s obviously a Mazda issue.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jamfix69
I’m having the same problems with mine, can’t believe Australia is recalling them and New Zealand isn’t. Looks like two people have had luck with Mazda repairing the problem. Have you owned your vehicles from new? I bought mine second hand and have had nothing but issues. First was a exhaust sensor and have it go into limp mode, now multiple lights and overflowing overflow bottle. I’ve got 150k on mine but it’s been serviced every 10k, but it’s obviously a Mazda issue.
I’ve just checked the Mazda website and it looks like they are recalling the engine in Nz. I recommend anyone in Nz to go to the Mazda website and check for recalls in the 2.2 turbo diesel.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:21 PM

WOW!! I wish they were doing that before mine went, it would have helped the trade-in price! Mine must have been the straw that broke the camet's back.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jamfix69
I’ve just checked the Mazda website and it looks like they are recalling the engine in Nz. I recommend anyone in Nz to go to the Mazda website and check for recalls in the 2.2 turbo diesel.

I would double check, I believe the "recall" is for carbon build up on the shutter valve, vacuum pump efficiency, PCM software update & fuel hose inspection. Unfortunately they aren't recalling the engine itself.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:29 PM

You make a good point there Grim, it only states on the website sh engine recall but doesn’t have the details into the recall yet and being a long weekend here I can’t find out yet. Is that what Mazda Australia is doing, only the things you suggested?

Old 10-27-2019, 04:48 PM

Maybe they will look deeper into it when they have the car in. They will be very reluctant to admit to anything more than a minor issue in public. In the wording of their communications with me I detected a certain coyness

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues