Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cx5lemonie
We had injector issues after 1 week with the replacement engine.
trying to work something out with mazda Australia and the dealership now.
Any tips would be appreciated
Hi Lemonie,

The new engine comes with a limited 12 month warranty. The Injectors should be replaced in good faith knowing that they were likely the cause of the original failure in fouling the oil.

Did they replace your engine with the new KF series engine? If so, I'd love to know how your fuel economy is going compared to the KE engine.

My 2015 CX5 went from an average 5.2-5.8l/100km and strong boost performance. To laggy inconsistent boost and at best 7.3l/100km....

I've had it in and complained till blue in the face with them. They insist it's 'within spec'.... so for fuel economy figures and performance over 15,000km nominalised. So according to Mazda, the 'spec' is ~25%!!!!

Imagine buying a car, and the variance between cars off the lot as 25% performance and fuel economy.

Ramjet

Old 10-04-2021, 02:54 AM
Default Head gasket problem

I have a NZ New GSX model CX5 2.2 Diesel. I've had a few of the well known issues and here's the latest. Coolant not returning from expansion tank to radiator on cool down. Radiator appeared to be under pressure when engine running and after running. Used Combustion tester to confirm combustion in radiator. So confirmation head gasket is blown. 100% sure I have not overheated this engine. Really annoying as running well. Of course with pressure in cooling system after engine turned off coolant does not return to radiator and coolant overflows from expansion tank. Might have some questions to ask on here.
Cheers
Ross

Old 10-04-2021, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Faultfinder
I have a NZ New GSX model CX5 2.2 Diesel. I've had a few of the well known issues and here's the latest. Coolant not returning from expansion tank to radiator on cool down. Radiator appeared to be under pressure when engine running and after running. Used Combustion tester to confirm combustion in radiator. So confirmation head gasket is blown. 100% sure I have not overheated this engine. Really annoying as running well. Of course with pressure in cooling system after engine turned off coolant does not return to radiator and coolant overflows from expansion tank. Might have some questions to ask on here.
Cheers
Ross

If you're lucky its just a faulty radiator cap, if your unlucky its the head gasket ( common)

Old 10-06-2021, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Stan2001
Hi, looking for some help

I have a 2013 CX-5 with the head gasket issue, car was only serviced by Mazda on the first service and has been serviced by a mechanic every since, however 1 service was missed.

Car has 160k klm, has anyone had any luck getting mazda to cover the costs of the engine replacement even though it wasn't serviced by them?

My understanding is the engine is not fit for purpose and it's a known issue with the earlier CX-5, I just wanted to see if there is anyone else had a similar experience before I take it into Mazda.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
just got mine replaced by Mazda under warranty 165,000k on it.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
If you're lucky its just a faulty radiator cap, if your unlucky its the head gasket ( common)
I replaced the radiator cap, but has not fixed problem. So looks like it must be head gasket damn!. Being that it is a known common fault (Thanks Grim Reaper) am I likely to have any luck with warranty from Mazda NZ considering 160000km and I've done all servicing myself since I bought it at !00000km..

Old 10-07-2021, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

From what I've heard on this forum, Mazda NZ are a bunch of tight ***** with their heads in the sand. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2021, 05:57 PM
Default diesel issues

I have a Mazda CX-5 2013 Grand Touring diesel which has done 158000
So I jump started another car which was a 79 series Toyota cruiser, shortly after whilst driving the Master Warning Light came up on the dashboard. I called my local Mazda and they said it could be low battery from jump starting the other car, and made us think that it wasn't too serious of an issue. I left it for a week and then my engine light came up, so we booked into the mechanics but by the time I took it to them the engine light had gone but the Master Warning Light was still present.

I have since been to the mechanics and they said the diagnostic came up with many problems including PCM communication circuit, engine oil pressure control circuit stuck on, vacuum pump control range / performance failure, malfunction in engine hydraulic control, malfunction in engine timing chain, malfunction in blow-by heater. They also said my coolant had exploded over my engine and there was diesel in my oil. The oil was also well above maximum level.

From reading through this forum I am worried it is the same problem and that I will need a new engine, I contacted my local mazda for them to take a look and they say it could of fried the electricals when I jump started the other car and that first step I should do to check is replace the battery (mechanics did say it was on the low side). He said there was an unusual amount of warnings to pop up so suddenly so best case scenario it is just the electrics and not a new engine.

Has anyone else had this issue of many warning codes coming up in the diagnostic but just being a battery issue?

Old 10-08-2021, 02:28 AM
Default Head gasket replacement

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
From what I've heard on this forum, Mazda NZ are a bunch of tight ***** with their heads in the sand. Good luck.
Thanks for that GR. Based on your comment I have decided to replace the head gasket myself. I've been advised to replace the injector seals as well so will do. Is there a good workshop manual with step by step guide? I believe it's quite a big job so I will take it slowly. Will post details on how it goes.
Ross

Old 10-09-2021, 09:47 AM
Cool

They also said my coolant had exploded over my engine and there was diesel in my oil. The oil was also well above maximum level...

I hope for the best for you, and a poor battery can cause a plethora of idiot lights to illuminate. That said, I can’t see how an electrical issue would cause the coolant to “explode” and the crankcase to be over-filled.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Joe90NZ
Hi everyone,
Our car is currently in with the local Mazda dealership (Fairview Motors) in Cambridge. Its done 140,000kms, mostly out of town running, and regularly serviced by both Mazda, and another mechanic.

Fairview's - Well they have had it for about a month now, as it was in for a warrant and rego, and to check on a recurring fault where the motor would not accelerate once it got hot, mostly on longer trips. - real handy when you got to pull out to pass someone and well, nothing....
I guess its limp mode...

Fairview's have been dealing with Mazda NZ, running all sorts of tests to diagnose and isolate the issue. After a few false starts; (i.e. "you need a new turbo" , we retested and its just a solenoid" - "happy days") we now get the call you need a new motor the head gasket is done...
I dont know how we went from A to C, but here we are.....

Mazda NZ say they are not paying to replace the solenoid, - well that's fine but what about my motor ? There seems to be a ton of evidence from here and around the world of the known gasket problem / coolant leak i think you call it, so my question is, do a rant at Fairview's to get Mazda to pay for a new engine or do I go to Mazda direct and remind them that we have the internet and forums these days ????
If its Mazda, does someone in here have a contract email address to start the ball rolling ?

Thanks for your time,

Joe.
Hi Joe ,
I hope you are still following this thread . Can you tell me what year your Cx 5 is . I have a 2017 xc 5 2.2 diesel , and I am wondering if I am at risk of problems developing .I am also in Cambridge , and the car is serviced by Fairview .
Cheers Richard

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues