Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX5 cargo dimensions (area)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 08:47 AM
Default CX5 cargo dimensions (area)

Can someone tell me the dimensions (depth & width between wheel wells) of the cargo area or a cargo mat in the newest version of the CX5? I would like to compare to my current vehicle and see if I would be stepping down in cargo floor area if i were to buy one. Cargo volume doesn't mean much to me cause i don't want to stack stuff up in my trunk. I'd like to have more area vs less with my next vehicle. Wish they would bring back the 6 wagon.

Old 06-13-2023, 03:06 PM

I measured our '23. From back of rear seat to the edge of cargo trim in the center it is 37". It is 41.25" between the wheel wells.

Last edited by blchandl2; 06-13-2023 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by blchandl2
I measured our '23. From back of rear seat to the edge of cargo trim in the center it is 37". It is 41.25" between the wheel wells.
thanks so much...my '13 subaru legacy is 39" deep and 44.4 between the wheel wells so it's a little smaller but if the price is right and i can get all the features i want cheaper than a crv or rav4 this may be the way i go as there is a dealer a mile from my house

Old 06-14-2023, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Point37
thanks so much...my '13 subaru legacy is 39" deep and 44.4 between the wheel wells so it's a little smaller but if the price is right and i can get all the features i want cheaper than a crv or rav4 this may be the way i go as there is a dealer a mile from my house
I also used to own a '13 Legacy and while it had a good amount of room in the trunk, the CX-5 is better due to its height.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
I also used to own a '13 Legacy and while it had a good amount of room in the trunk, the CX-5 is better due to its height.
the added height is a bonus but like i said i don't want to stack stuff up in the trunk...i carry a lot of stuff in my trunk for work and i would like more floor area/depth...the added height is nice but deeper is better in my case...i would also like to stay closer to the ground as i have older dogs so a wagon or crossover would be best for me...an outback would work perfectly but when my current subaru with 220k is consuming 1 quart of oil every 300-400 miles which has gotten worse over time i don't want a repeat situation with another subaru so i'm between toyota, mazda and honda...would love a buick regal tourx though

Old 06-15-2023, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Point37
the added height is a bonus but like i said i don't want to stack stuff up in the trunk...i carry a lot of stuff in my trunk for work and i would like more floor area/depth...the added height is nice but deeper is better in my case...i would also like to stay closer to the ground as i have older dogs so a wagon or crossover would be best for me...an outback would work perfectly but when my current subaru with 220k is consuming 1 quart of oil every 300-400 miles which has gotten worse over time i don't want a repeat situation with another subaru so i'm between toyota, mazda and honda...would love a buick regal tourx though
We had things narrowed down to the CR-V, CX-5, and CX-50. Our requirements were:
- more cargo space than our Audi Q5
- No GM or Toyota
- prefer no CVT transmission
- prefer not turbocharged
- no hybrid

The CR-V has *a lot* of cargo area but it has a turbo and CVT. The CX-50 was nice but we thought the ride in the CX-5 was better. I considered a Forester but the nearest dealer is 2 hrs away.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by blchandl2
We had things narrowed down to the CR-V, CX-5, and CX-50. Our requirements were:
- more cargo space than our Audi Q5
- No GM or Toyota
- prefer no CVT transmission
- prefer not turbocharged
- no hybrid

The CR-V has *a lot* of cargo area but it has a turbo and CVT. The CX-50 was nice but we thought the ride in the CX-5 was better. I considered a Forester but the nearest dealer is 2 hrs away.
i have no problem with a toyota or toyota's planetary gear cvt as it's a pretty bulletproof design but other cvts i'm not a fan of including the one in my subaru but i'm with you in not wanting a cvt or turbo if i can avoid it...the cx50 is overpriced for a small bump in cargo space over the cx5 and i read that the seats are awful...below is my list...

needs:
-reliability
-60/40 folding second row
-pleather/leather (because dogs)
-low to ground for dogs
-more cargo area than the legacy (not volume)

-be able to fit in the garage have about 18’ of space would like to have 2’-3’ of that to walk around the front or back
-awd or fwd
-not a cvt transmission (toyota planetary gear cvt ok)
-would like 30+ mpg
-smaller wheels with more tire
-splash guards
-all weather floor mats and trunk tray
-2nd row seat back protection (rubberized)
-no lights in bumpers
-aux input

wants:
-dual driver memory settings
-dual bluetooth phone connections
-window rain guards
-CarPlay

1 sedans
*-mazda 6 touring (memory seat available on grand touring reserve and up, discontinued for 2022)
-toyota camry xle (no seat memory)
-honda accord (no leather or memory seat unless hybrid ex-l)
-honda civic hatch ex-l or sedan touring (2022+)

2 everything else
*-buick tourx (discontinued for 2021)
*-acura tsx sportwagon (discontinued for 2015)
-honda crv ex-l
-toyota rav 4 xle premium + weather package
*-honda element (discontinued for 2012)
*-toyota prius v (discontinued for 2018)
-mazda cx-5 2.5s preferred or carbon

*used only...rest can be new or used

Old 06-16-2023, 08:22 AM

The CX-5 ranks just about in the middle of comparable brands for cargo space @ 30.9cf (behind the rear seats).
Subaru Legacy station wagon has 18.6cf of cargo space, Hyundai Tucson has the most at 38.7cf.

Last edited by Lobstah; 06-16-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:34 AM

I was going to say, take a look at the Hyundai Tuscon and KIA Sportage (they are quite different variations of the same drivetrain). I have a friend with a current gen Tuscon and he loves it. Pretty much the same engine as a base CX-5, but with an 8-sp transmission.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
The CX-5 ranks just about in the middle of comparable brands for cargo space @ 30.9cf (behind the rear seats).
Subaru Legacy station wagon has 18.6cf of cargo space, Hyundai Tucson has the most at 38.7cf.
Originally Posted by chickdr19
I was going to say, take a look at the Hyundai Tuscon and KIA Sportage (they are quite different variations of the same drivetrain). I have a friend with a current gen Tuscon and he loves it. Pretty much the same engine as a base CX-5, but with an 8-sp transmission.
thanks...the tucson and the sportage were included in my original list along with the k5, sonata, santa fe and sorento...santa fe and sorento are too big for my needs...k5 and sonata there are better sedan choices out there...tucson and sportage i'm just not sure i trust hyundai/kia enough to buy 2 vehicles from them...wife currently has a '22 telluride (first time owning kia/hundai) so i'm hoping to stay away from those 2 brands with my next car...don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and end up with 2 cars that can't make it to 10+ years and 200k+ miles...i kind of want to see how it goes with this car before buying another...their warranty is good cause you're going to need it and they are going to fight to keep you from using it which requires a lot of backup paperwork...they are also running GDI engines which introduces extra maintenance where you need to the need to clean the valves from time to time...not hard but not something i want to have to do...i've had good luck with honda, toyota and mazda so i'm hoping to go with one of those 3 brands

Quick Reply: CX5 cargo dimensions (area)