Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX5 2017 AWD Vibration/Shudder Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:13 AM
Default CX5 2017 AWD Vibration/Shudder Issue

New to this forum and Mazda product. I just bought a new to me 17 GT AWD with 4400 miles from a non Mazda Dealer.

Test drive was only around some surface streets and it seemed okay before signing the deal. Car Fax did not show anything other than an oil change and no reported accidents.

Here is what it did on my drive home on turnpike. When i hit around 65 I felt some type of vibration or shudder in drive train. Once off the highway and getting closer to our home, had the feel at much lower speed.

Tried to do some research on line and found a few posts that it could be related to tires or even the wheels. In one case the owner ended up with Mazda agreeing to replace tires and wheels.

I know what a vibration feels like when related to balance on previous cars.

Going to drive it for a few more days to get use to the car and all the bells and whistles. Plan to take it to a local Mazda Dealer to see if they can duplicate issue and determine action if any.

Has anyone had this issue or something similar and what if anything was done.

Don't want to let this issue bitter me on the car and Mazda.

Appreciate input.
Regards, Jim Ft Lauderdale

Old 08-19-2018, 03:14 PM

I have noticed a sort of shake on turnpike. If I drive over the lane indicators it can bring on the feeling for a short period. This might be a step in good news of recreating the feeling when I bring it into a dealer.

Also noticed a noise when driving over certain speed bumps. Coming from front passenger side suspension. Another area for dealer to check as well. Hope I can resolve these and start to really enjoy the car.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

2017 will be under warranty with Mazda. Just book it in with your nearest dealership.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:22 AM

Thanks . Have an appointment set up for Monday morning.

Jim

Old 08-24-2018, 02:53 PM

I had something similar when my 2016.5 was new. They found a bad tire. Replaced it and shudder was gone.
Edited: should have mentioned that this was only determined through Road Force Balancing.

Last edited by MetsFan; 08-24-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:59 PM

Thanks for your input. I did see a few post on the WEB and yes there were some issues with Toyo Tires.

This could certainly be the case and I am hoping that is the issue.

The dealer I am going to take it Monday told me that have Road Force equipment.

Regards,
jim

Old 08-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Took it in this morning. Service adviser went for a drive with me and confirmed the noise coming from suspension on passenger side. He pointed out that the shudder in steering wheel when running over the lane indicators/reflectors is by design. It is intended to give the driver a warning with shudder feel in steering wheel. It is part of the Lane keep assist and Departure warning system. It can be canceled by reading the owners manual on page 4-136.

The noise from the suspension in front has a TSB and parts are on back order. Did not give me any details on TSB number . Dealer will call me to bring car back for fix. Will update when I get it resolved.

PS: I also notice the LED headlights have a light looking circle/ of dust dirt on inside the lens. There was a 2018 pulling into service and it had the same. No action taken yet.

The dealership looks like they will be good to work with and stands behinds it work.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing this issue.

Jim

Old 09-06-2018, 06:05 PM

Update on TSB. They indicated there is a TSB however did not provide the number. The repair document indicates the following:
. R0103ARX rubber mounting on Right Front (passenger( side.
Parts installed (2) 9ybo-41-414 nuts
(2) TKY8-34-081 Protector, Coil Spring
(1) TK48-34-380 Rubber, Mounting
States they removed front strut assembly to install spring protector & r/s front strut mount.

Picked up the car a few hours ago and it appears the noise going over speed bumps etc is no longer noticeable.

Dealer is Gunther in Ft Lauderdale and Service writer is Ron Stultz. They appear to be a first class dealer and I will be bring the car to them for future service needs.

Hope this help you guys out if you encounter the problem.
PS: First Mazda product for me in a long time and appears to be a good fit for our needs.
Regards,
Jim