Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 CX5 GT AWD Trailer Hitch and Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Default 2017 CX5 GT AWD Trailer Hitch and Wiring

Hello! I am going to have a trailer hitch installed on my 2017 CX5 GT AWD. Is the CX5 pre-wired for trailer wiring harness? Does UHaul do a good job in installing a trailer hitch?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:22 AM

Good luck with that.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:53 PM

I have to be honest, I've had nothing but poor experiences with U-Haul. I've had then install hitches on three cars (not sure why I went back the second or third time) and wiring harnesses on two. The first one...oh my...pure rookie wiring job. The wire placement was so bad that one of the wires that was wrapped around the hitch (no idea why) melted on the hot exhaust and was shorting out, blowing my turn signal fuse every time. It took me nearly a week to finally find what was wrong. Second time, same deal. The wiring was so poor that it worked for about two minutes before it continually blew my running light fuse. Having said that, the hitches seemed to be installed just fine.

A friend of mine had a hitch and wiring installed on his Legacy a few years ago, and it works well to this day.

I'm not sure about the 2017's, but I installed a Curt hitch and wiring harness on our 2016 in about an hour and half when all was said and done. They have some great videos on YouTube showing installs, and their products seems to be well made. I'm very pleased with how it turned out (shameless plus for Curt). There are a few threads about towing that may have some good information for you over there as far as hitches go.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:22 AM

Thank you for the warning. I will look for other option in my area. My question to the readers is: does Mazda CX5 (2017) have a pre-wired connector/outlet for a trailer electrical need? I used to own a Subaru Crosstrek and that vehicle is pre-wired with a connector to receive a trailer wiring harness for a Subaru vehicle! Does Mazda vehicles have such a connector near the spare tire well?

Old 06-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure on US built, but Japan built do not come pre-wired.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:32 AM

I had U-Haul here in Kalispell Montana install a Curt hitch and they did a great job ( probably because it is in Montana where people still give a s*#t). I have towed my motorcycle long distances with no issues.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Montanaman, thanks for your positive comment on U-Haul in Montana. Where I live, workers at U-Haul don't give a s*#t on the quality of their work. I also plan to tow my motorcycle to places, especially to the Prescott, Sedona, or Flagstaff area. I want to know if Mazda 2017 CX5 has already a pre-wired connector for the electricals needed for a trailer hitch. Maybe I'll go to a Mazda service and ask them.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:17 PM

There should be a pre-wired connector. They can tap in and you have a wire from the trailer into that. I had them leave mine loose so I can tuck the connector wire under the floor with the spare. The tailgate has to close on the wire when in use but it's no big deal.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 AM

I installed an aftermarket Curt on my 2017 CX-5 along with the wiring harness (see etrailer). The hitch process was a little difficult installing since there is little room in reinstalling the exhaust after the hitch is in place. The wiring harness plugs right in but you have to pull a few trim panels and run a dedicated power wire directly to the battery. Took me ~ 3 hours all together but I'm slow and meticulous about running wiring..

Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Seex5, thank you for your response on this. I have found an installer in my area who will charge a little over $400 to install a hitch on my 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT. The price includes the hitch, wiring harness, and needed attachment/accessories to tow a closed UHaul trailer.

Quick Reply: 2017 CX5 GT AWD Trailer Hitch and Wiring