Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx-5 turbo burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 09:49 AM

Um I think there is a lot of armchair wisdom...
The lower viscosity oil does not increase oil consumption and low-tension piston rings does not increase oil consumption...
There are basic physics how an internal combustion engine works... lets think first about compression. Nuff said. If you cant understand that then please stop posting theories and informal you find on the internet that are not factual.

In nut shell the number of engine manufactured vs those with oil problem consumption problems are in the 1% of 15 less then the total number produced. What does that tell you. Yup the smart people that are good in math know the answer to that.

I also notice that a few members on various forums and threads are also very few not the ones that are having oil consumption issues with any of their Mazda... again what does that tell you?

Now I could post that groups and clubs all across the country where events are held that are both competitive and fun that require in many cases to run the engines much higher then normal daily drivers and yet we don't see owners posting having oil consumption problems? Hmmm now why not... well goes back to some of you really need to learn about how a gasoline internal combustion works and how the different components actually work .

Please stop blaming oil type as a cause of an issue and calling it THIN its called "viscosity" ...
Please stop suggesting it is low tension piston rings which have been around for decades as the concern if you are going to talk about the rings than PLEAS include the piston design and bore machining because they all work together. You cant just use any piston ring without all the components and machining included.

If you don't think before you type and have NO HANDS ON EXPERNCE of EDJUCATION regarding all aspects of building a engine then you are the problem and you are the few of you spreading more BS on the internet!

Please DO NOT POST articles about this unless you personally are ready to talk about the subject in depth regarding those articles you try to use to support your arm chair theories!

Lets stop the BS and wait and see what MAZDA in the end does and claims was the problem with those approx. less then 100 worldwide (*that right currently less then 100) MAZDAs that actually have an oil consumption issue?

* Mazda international @ the Engineering and development department has been logging the concerns and have yet to establish that it is a wide problem with any of their gasoline engines. This means that each customer concern is handled on a one to one basis. No recall has even been suggested at this point and if it were it may not be for a couple more years because of those very low unconfirmed as cause customer engine oil consumption complaints. I might add that MAZDA has not done a vehicle LEMON replacement for any customer. If a dealership chooses to do so that is totally on them and should not be considered from MAZDA crop as a discission. Anyone can contact MAZDA direct customer relations and inquire about the oil consumption complaint (have your VIN ready they will ask for it) as well the TSB (have your VIN ready they will ask for it) that was generated for MAZDA dealership (not the general public) on a service procedure having to do with the complaint.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
The root cause of higher oil consumption with modern cars is the search for higher mpg values to meet CAFE requirements. Low tension rings are the norm on modern engines, and oil control is….less efficient because of it. This isn’t the 20th Century guys, and like it or not many many modern engines burn far more oil than they did ten or twenty years ago. That’s indisputable fact - regardless of what you learned years ago.
Com 'on dude you are generally better than this kind of response?
Where are the empirical data to support any of your response?
I want you to personally go look for actually data that can be shown as empirical in nature and information about the number of vehicles manufactured and sold in the USA 10 year ago years ago vs in the last 5 years ago and then last year. Your information is flawed and as such so is your response!

About the only thing partially correct is the auto manufacture continuing to find engineering designs regarding engine that will lower emissions. If you do research many auto manufactures have stayed ahead of the EPA for several decades and even in several years exceed them.

One of many good information portals about statistics:
U.S. vehicle fleet 1990-2021 | Statista
This site if you look the source of study can be traced with many DATA collecting service. So basically, they are pretty factual. I always look for where the information was generated to be sure it is not another key board DIY just wanting to post and get the brownie points for doing so.

Old 10-20-2023, 10:11 AM

And yet, out here it the real world, changing brands of oil or a different
grade with-in a brand can alter or change oil consumption.
Also note that different parts of the world call for different "viscosity" of
oil. Australia and Central America often call for high 'viscosity' oil than
North America.
Oil weight/viscosity rating is a 'range'. The famous German Castrol IIRC was on the
'heavier' end of the 30 weight/viscosity. Some Valvoline grades are on the lower end
of the rated viscosity. Such is life.
Using oil, try a different brand or different spec oil .

My 2¢

Old 10-20-2023, 10:12 AM

I also want to add that the ... check for oil consumption compliant numbers filed
Make sure you have you VIN ready a few will ask for that information.

Complaints about consumer products and services | USAGov
Home (ntsb.gov)
File a complaint about your car | USAGov
Bureau of Automotive Repair Customer Complaints (automotivedefense.com)

Old 10-20-2023, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
And yet, out here it the real world, changing brands of oil or a different
grade with-in a brand can alter or change oil consumption.

Also note that different parts of the world call for different "viscosity" of
oil. Australia and Central America often call for high 'viscosity' oil than
North America.

Oil weight/viscosity rating is a 'range'. The famous German Castrol IIRC was on the
'heavier' end of the 30 weight/viscosity. Some Valvoline grades are on the lower end
of the rated viscosity. Such is life.
Using oil, try a different brand or different spec oil .

My 2¢
Wow you you think? LOL But this has been this way since oh let me think..... the 1950's? lol
In red... and another thing you seem NOT to understand! lol

So now an oil that is 30 in your mind is on the heavier or lighter side of that number... auh... ROLMAO! wow!

I love when people post information about CASTROL oil. Most have no clue about its history.
Ther was a time you had to be careful about which Castrol you used, mixing their types could turn your engine into a motorized GUMMY!

Last edited by Callisto; 10-20-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 05:57 PM

Another trip to 'expert land'.
Mazda allows 10W-40 in Australia, and has Mazda labeled oil for that purpose.
I only mentioned German Castrol as it's a famous quality oil that, despite being a 0W-30
oil, the "30" part is on the heavier/high viscosity end of the SAE 30 grade. Oil with
a centistokes rating of 9.4-11.9 makes it a "30" weight/viscosity. the German Castrol was at the low end of the RANGE. Any lower and it would be a "40" weight/viscosity oil. German Castrol was discontinued a few years ago. Missed by many.
So, if the oil consumption is not so high a trip to a Mazda dealer is called for, use a high mileage oil. Or, if in the southern part of the US, try a 10W-30.
As an aside, Valvoline has FIVE grades of 5W-30 motor oil. Different formulations/additive packages for different purposes.
IF IRCC, Penzoil has 4.
I listen to REAL experts not self styled ones.

Last edited by Dennis Wendt; 10-20-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:27 PM

Another trip to 'expert land'.

As an aside, *Valvoline has FIVE grades of 5W-30 motor oil. Different formulations/additive packages for different purposes.
IF IRCC, Penzoil has 4.
I listen to REAL experts not self styled ones.
Wow! You never fail to entertain me . I wish you would take the time to do a little more research on a given subject before posting pleeeez!
But we know that when you get caught posting less than the best information you are like a bulldog that wont let go and will DEFEND to the end your information you post. Its not even experienced based by way of any controlled testing let along DIY basic experimenting it only what you can search and find somewhere on the internet an article then aligns with your thoughts?
*Also do you understand the term MARKETING?

Lastly better get new batteries for your hearing aid cuz you are not hearing what some experts say...
and as for the snarkie ending comment I suggest you learn who or whom those experts may be. As the more educated individuals often try to recommend to internet users read where the information ordinally came from and by whom? Or as they say follow the money and who benefits from all that information you often post?

Oh btw I keep forgetting to post because I constantly get sidetracked, but if these engines are burning oil at a rate stated by a few then oil analysis can indicate how much gas is contaminating the oil?
But good luck finding those reports posted or provided by owners of Mazda that had the oil consumptions issues?

If any owner of a MAZDA that you claim is consuming oil please have an oil analysis performed before the TSB service and post the information! It can be very helpful to understanding more what may be going on with the engines regarding a very limited few MAZDA engines.
About Us | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

I have delt with this business for a few decades and hundreds of oil analysis performed for myself and customers. We have talked about a few cases of claimed oil consumption having to do with a couple of other then Mazda platforms and by way of the analysis helped to point better information what the exact cause could be. Unfortunately, when this TSB about the MAZDA and the vale stem seal came out and to date no one having the issue has had an oil analysis done before or as far as I am aware after the service was done.
To date and again as far as I am aware (don't spend my day looking up every issue on every platform) no one has claimed the USA Lemon Law to have their MAZDA returned to a dealership they purchased from for a refund. Read exactly what I said.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-20-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:36 PM

And what did I get wrong oh great swamy??

I can count to five when counting Valvoline products and I can also
count to four when counting Pennzoil products.
While a oil analysis isn't a bad idea, I haven't seen posts or comments
regarding Mazda having a fuel dilution problem or even a PCV problem of
any great degree. Not that it matters, Mazda's PCV seems like one of the better designs.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:04 AM

And what did I get wrong oh great swamy??

I can count to five when counting Valvoline products and I can also
count to four when counting Pennzoil products.
While a oil analysis isn't a bad idea, I haven't seen posts or comments
regarding Mazda having a fuel dilution problem or even a PCV problem of
any great degree. Not that it matters, Mazda's PCV seems like one of the better designs.
I am using your full quote because this is why you personally should not try so hard to post things on some subject material you don't really know much about. LOL
This last response really supports when I SAY you DONT HAVE A CLUE ABOUT SUBJECT MATERIAL on some threads.

Old 10-21-2023, 12:07 AM

And yet you haven't pointed out what I got wrong. Or is it your inflated ego
that would allow anyone other than YOU post comment or advise?

Quick Reply: Cx-5 turbo burning oil