Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx-5 turbo burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2023, 03:30 PM
Angry Cx-5 turbo burning oil

I had the TSB (01-011/22) work performed on my 21 signature for burning oil and my car still burns 3/4 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Has anyone else had the TSB work performed and did if fix the issue. I am thinking about selling the car back to Mazda. Thanks

Old 10-18-2023, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by s28796
I had the TSB (01-011/22) work performed on my 21 signature for burning oil and my car still burns 3/4 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. Has anyone else had the TSB work performed and did if fix the issue. I am thinking about selling the car back to Mazda. Thanks
Well you are not giving enough information, but this needs to be addressed with the dealership that did the service and exactly what they did. There is a TSB ,...sure but that does not mean they did only the TSB recommendation? Go read your service contract again.
Regardless coming to a forum to rally the troops in hopes that other had the same issue repeating after a TSB recommend service it would technically be very hard to find other individuals having the same complete circumstances i.e. mileage, service records, other service-related concerns, etc.
As for the oil consumption you are having if it did not happen directly after the TSB service then you need to go to a dealership and have them look into the cause and don't assume it is a repeat of the TSB service you just had done.
I would hope that you would report back what Mazda dealership find to be the cause and what they will do on your thread here, but my experience from these kinds of threads started by newbies often never get updated by the OP and often open the pandora's box for speculations.

Seems to me that MAZDA and the Mazda dealership have been helpful to you and your thought to trade-in your Mazda is a personal choice. I think you may have some challenges if you don't first address the oil consumption first??? But who knows , good luck in all cases.

Please don't take my response negatively but I get customers in the shop that always jump at negativity feeling they were short changed at the dealership and auto manufacture regarding some issues with their vehicles. The fact is most did not keep InTouch with the dealership and make them aware of issues when they happened ASAP.

TSB are designed for Auto technicians not really the DIY or vehicle owner so I suggest those that post them as supportive evidence should read and understand EVERYTHING on them first!
There will be a quiz to see if all that are not service Technicians or mechanics know the full details of the TSB being used as supported evidence of a condition related to their vehicle. ROLMAO n I am joking !

ASE.

BTW user names can tell a lot about a person

Old 10-18-2023, 07:30 PM

Many auto makers today consider 1 quart every 2000 miles as normal. Many consider 1 quart every 1000 miles as acceptable. Is adding a quart of oil every 2000 miles more difficult than taking a loss on selling a vehicle you otherwise like?

Old 10-18-2023, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Many auto makers today consider 1 quart every 2000 miles as normal. Many consider 1 quart every 1000 miles as acceptable. Is adding a quart of oil every 2000 miles more difficult than taking a loss on selling a vehicle you otherwise like?
Burning that much oil is never normal, rather it's a way for manufacturers to get away with serious defects and issues...

Old 10-18-2023, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Burning that much oil is never normal, rather it's a way for manufacturers to get away with serious defects and issues...
Yup not sure where excitable oil loss was ever considered normal for a new engine from any auto manufacture (IMHO internet MYTH no proof from any auto manufacture that I am aware of) considering the tolerances these engines have now with main and rod bearing, crankshaft machining, cylinder hone finish, valvetrain specification for close tolerance operation....no its not normal. If a new engine is losing oil other, then a leak then something needs to be addressed.

Before anyone starts in on my p[ost go look at the engine rebuild parts tolerance measurements for parts and ask a normal engine machine shop what the cast to duplicate a factory engine. Don't be surprised if they suggest going to a Engine Performance Machine Shop for that rebuild. LOL I can tell you these engine are close to what we call a[i] "blueprinted engine"!

I just completely rebuilt my head a couple years ago with less then 30k miles to install a set of performance cams and a couple other upgrades(secret) and it was a PIA. And I am suppose to experienced. LOL

Last edited by Callisto; 10-18-2023 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2023, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Well you are not giving enough information, but this needs to be addressed with the dealership that did the service and exactly what they did. There is a TSB ,...sure but that does not mean they did only the TSB recommendation? Go read your service contract again.
Regardless coming to a forum to rally the troops in hopes that other had the same issue repeating after a TSB recommend service it would technically be very hard to find other individuals having the same complete circumstances i.e. mileage, service records, other service-related concerns, etc.
As for the oil consumption you are having if it did not happen directly after the TSB service then you need to go to a dealership and have them look into the cause and don't assume it is a repeat of the TSB service you just had done.
I would hope that you would report back what Mazda dealership find to be the cause and what they will do on your thread here, but my experience from these kinds of threads started by newbies often never get updated by the OP and often open the pandora's box for speculations.

Seems to me that MAZDA and the Mazda dealership have been helpful to you and your thought to trade-in your Mazda is a personal choice. I think you may have some challenges if you don't first address the oil consumption first??? But who knows , good luck in all cases.

Please don't take my response negatively but I get customers in the shop that always jump at negativity feeling they were short changed at the dealership and auto manufacture regarding some issues with their vehicles. The fact is most did not keep InTouch with the dealership and make them aware of issues when they happened ASAP.

TSB are designed for Auto technicians not really the DIY or vehicle owner so I suggest those that post them as supportive evidence should read and understand EVERYTHING on them first!
There will be a quiz to see if all that are not service Technicians or mechanics know the full details of the TSB being used as supported evidence of a condition related to their vehicle. ROLMAO n I am joking !

ASE.

BTW user names can tell a lot about a person
What does his username tell you? LOL

Old 10-18-2023, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Yup not sure where excitable oil loss was ever considered normal for a new engine from any auto manufacture (IMHO internet MYTH no proof from any auto manufacture that I am aware of) considering the tolerances these engines have now with main and rod bearing, crankshaft machining, cylinder hone finish, valvetrain specification for close tolerance operation....no its not normal. If a new engine is losing oil other, then a leak then something needs to be addressed.
I tend to think that the oil being run on newer cars seems to be contributing due to how thin it has gotten too. I've always learned that if you've got oil burning, there's something wrong and it can't be disputed...

Old 10-19-2023, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
What does his username tell you? LOL
Reads more or less like...."Ia am in a hurry just need to cut through the normal process of join a forum and only have a single goal to complain". LOL
Look when you have run and or owned forums you tend to learn about members and especially the ones that join that NEVER read the forum guidelines rules or take the time to go through the "human" process of starting a Newbie thread to introduce themselves. Says a lot right there.
Thats really all... I don't care actually but we generally as a rule know how long or not these type of new members stay on a forum and actually participate?
And don't get me started on the one time DIY "I need help" wonder that ony join to solve a single problem and then we never see them again. And most there problems are already on a thread somewhere but they are to lazy to go look for them. LOL

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
I tend to think that the oil being run on newer cars seems to be contributing due to how thin it has gotten too. I've always learned that if you've got oil burning, there's something wrong and it can't be disputed...
Not really but it is a good theory. This goes back to the piston to ring specification and final hone that control the oil. The thin film of oil left on cylinder walls is a normal function and is so minor it is almost not measurable. There is some small consideration regarding the PCV system when the system becomes to full to correctly return gross oil accumulation back to the oil sump but this generally translates to carbon formation in the intake and combustion chambers and not high oil use.
If an engine is using measurable amounts of oil on a low milage engine it is a problem with some part or system in the engine.

Old 10-19-2023, 08:40 PM

The root cause of higher oil consumption with modern cars is the search for higher mpg values to meet CAFE requirements. Low tension rings are the norm on modern engines, and oil control is….less efficient because of it. This isn’t the 20th Century guys, and like it or not many many modern engines burn far more oil than they did ten or twenty years ago. That’s indisputable fact - regardless of what you learned years ago.

Old 10-19-2023, 11:43 PM

the trend to ever thinner oils doesn't help much either. The latest Toyota
engine specs 0W-8 oil. And many 5W-20 are set on thin end of the 5W gravity.
A different brand of oil, or a different 'grade/level/spec' of the same brand could
alter the oil consumption.

My 2¢

Quick Reply: Cx-5 turbo burning oil