Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 A/T won't downshift with heavy throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 10:52 AM
BWJ

I use the first version regularly when the wife has driven a lot of city driving, there is no doubt that it works, got trick by mechanic.
Never tryed second version.

Old 06-13-2022, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BWJ
Originally Posted by BWJ
Try this.
How do you reset a Mazda transmission control module?
To reset your transmission turn on the ignition, not the motor. Press the gas to the floor for 30 seconds then release and turn on your vehicle.
I use the first version regularly when the wife has driven a lot of city driving, there is no doubt that it works, got trick by mechanic.
Did that first procedure, a little while ago. I'll monitor it over the next couple of weeks to see if I am still getting the refusal of the transm. to drop into a lower gear while in automatic.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by BWJ
Originally Posted by BWJ
Try this.
How do you reset a Mazda transmission control module?
To reset your transmission turn on the ignition, not the motor. Press the gas to the floor for 30 seconds then release and turn on your vehicle.
It's only been three days, but it looks like heavy-throttle downshifting has gotten better and smoother. It doesn't require heavy mashing, anymore. And it hasn't yet refused to grab the next lower gear to accelerate (ie, up an on-ramp to the highway). Time will tell ... but it's looking good so far.

Old 06-16-2022, 02:14 PM
BWJ

Old 08-26-2022, 10:41 AM

Did it fix your problem?
my car has the same issue.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by DNNS
Did it fix your problem?
my car has the same issue.
Did, apparently, at least for awhile. It's mostly back to the often-sluggish way it was previously.

I don't know whether the shift maps update themselves based on driving patterns, or perhaps there's gumming-up in the throttle body, or binding of the pedal-to-throttle connection (cable?), or what. I tend to have a relatively heavy foot during initial ~150ft acceleration, but then I get to a cruising speed and drive rather sedately. Now, as before, fairly often I'm finding pressing the throttle fairly heavily doesn't immediately translate into a downshift. If I mash it to the floor, it'll downshift nearly all the time.

So. Better than before, but seemingly returning to more-frequent incidence of failure to recognize my command (via the throttle) to downshift.

Car's heading into the shop in a couple of days for regular maintenance, so I'll ask the mechanic regarding the condition. Perhaps there's a known resolution/TSB that I'm unaware of.