Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Grounded Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Default Grounded Throttle Body

Has anyone gounded their throttle body yet? I was just reading on another Mazda forum and that is the first mod everyone recommends.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Default RE: Grounded Throttle Body

I'd only do it if you were adding a lot of elictrical mods but on a stock car made in 2003 and up I see no reason to.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 PM

intersting they all said it helps the the throttle response when you start in first gear and even when shifting into 2nd gear. Do you have it done? Do you have a 3?

Old 08-17-2006, 01:14 AM

what exactly does grounding the throttle body do?

Old 08-17-2006, 04:23 AM

I had my throttle body grounded, it helped a little but then again i only grounded the throttle body, those other guys grounded a whole bunch of different places. I did notice a tiny increase a throttle response but those guys used 6 guage wire i had 8 guage, and i did notice a better shift into 2nd gear it went from a 2.3sec shift delay into 1.8sec shift delay (for autos),and around 3k rpm if i stomped the gas id get better speed then w/o the cable while still in second. But when my battery and altenator was replaced with slightly higher grades i noticed the same feeling. The dealer to told me take it off cuz he thought it doesnt do anything and tried to make it seem like that was reason why the battery and altenator was fried, so i did but im to lazy to put it back on.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 PM

I don't see how the throttle response would improve, the Mazda3 isn't expensive enough to have drive-by-wire, I am almost positive it is a mechanical link, any improvements noticed might just be in their heads. Kind of like the idea of the "gas pills" improving your mileage when really they are basically mentos mints.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:53 AM

the throttle body is all electric,i guess you really cant find out unless you do it yourself, but as for me i felt the diff.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:30 AM

I did it....didn't notice anything. Doesn't cost much. Maybe it does but just not enough to feel. just do it and see. I've heard people say they can tell a difference. wont hurt.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:03 AM

I grounded my TB. Difference is tiny, but there. It made my shifting smoother.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:58 AM

This is the first thread I've on this forum i've actually gone cross eyed looking at. Shifted smoother???? Grounding the throttle body would do one thing, make a better ground on an electrical device. To my knowledge of computerized throttles ( our entire fleet of thousands of trucks are) there is no mechanical connection between the accelerator and the throttlebody, such as 'drivebywire' type. It's like hooking a dimmer switch up on your car. You push the computer reads how much and then it sindes the signal to the throttle body to react however the computer see's fit. In the Speed3's case also taking into account the managing that the computer does for torque and all the other variables. So installing a ground may be sure that it is grounded and there is not interferance, possibly adding to the response time of the computer controlled throttlebody but that'd be about i, and only if the thing had a poor ground to start. The fact is that unless you start with hooking your laptop up there not much to be done with a computerized throttle. That being said, I could be wrong or missunderstanding, but it's like was already said, it's one of those deals where you think it's gonna be better so it is. And if you can convince me to try it and i notice a positive difference without toasting the delicate electrical system in my brand new car, i'll also be buying those 3.5hp each hoodpins. Please don't BURN me it's early and i don't have patience at this time of day, i'm just tyrying to make some sense and bump some into you guys lol. peace out.

Quick Reply: Grounded Throttle Body