Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Sticking brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Default CX-5 Sticking brake

Hey all,

Recent issue with the CX-5 has me running in circles here...

Rear passenger brake squeeking, OK, outer pad worn down to metal, so I replace both rotors and pads with Powerstop brand (use on all brake jobs in my driveway).

This issue is that the rear passenger is getting hung up and/or stuck that you can smell it when you get out of the car.

During service I re-lubed and re-sealed the caliper guide pins, wire wheeled the caliper bracket, and lubed the pad ears and slots. Still wants to stick when pulling away from a stop intermittently.

My question is what is a likely cause, and how do I prove/test it? I suspect the following:
1. bad caliper, replace
2. bad electronic parking brake module, replace
3. Bad module in the car that holds brakes when letting off the brake on a hill or what not, no idea how to fix this if the cause...

FYI this is a manual car and I'm worried if I dont fixt it soon I'm going to wear out the clutch as it already chatters when the brake gets sticky...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Glaser67

Old 12-28-2021, 01:27 PM

Model year?

Old 12-28-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by m5xguy
Model year?
2016 cx-5

Want to note that I did not put the EPB in maintenance mode when I did the brake job or the last time I did it either.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by glaser67
2016 cx-5

Want to note that I did not put the EPB in maintenance mode when I did the brake job or the last time I did it either.
I was thinking that perhaps this was a 2016, where the TSB below describes the likely resolution to your issue. However, doing the brake job without being in maintenance mode certainly causes the EPB to become another suspect. And it's even possible that you might have to do both #1 and #2 on your list. Perhaps do just one of them, and then the other if the problem persists? Or maybe both if you can afford it, and you want to avoid possibly messing around with it a second time.

MC-10129575-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Old 12-28-2021, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the response.

You confirmed my suspicion. I think replacing both caliper and EPB module myself would be cheaper than the dealership diagnosing and taking the same 50/50 gamble.

Final thought; car holds braking when let off pedal in gear from rolling back, is this action controlled by the EPB module, or another module that holds the brake line pressure? If another module, I hope it's not the issue...

Old 12-28-2021, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by glaser67
... I think replacing both caliper and EPB module myself would be cheaper than the dealership diagnosing and taking the same 50/50 gamble.
I DIY just about everything, and of course will agree with that idea.
.... Final thought; car holds braking when let off pedal in gear from rolling back, is this action controlled by the EPB module, or another module that holds the brake line pressure? If another module, I hope it's not the issue...
The hill holder assist system uses a separate traction control solenoid, which COULD cause the current issue with your vehicle. However IMO the caliper and/or EPB is so much more likely to be the culprit(s), that I would take that one out of the mix at this point.