Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Diesel Turbo coming to USA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 AM
Default CX-5 Diesel Turbo coming to USA?

Hello! I’m here at the dealer for the cylinder deactivation recall and the service advisor says only the non-turbo CX-5’s are recalled. The turbo engines on the Reserve don’t have this problem.

I also heard from him that CX-5 Diesel turbo are in transit to the dealerships in the USA. This dealership will have the diesels on the lot next month.

Has anyone heard this news?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by firefox111
Hello! I’m here at the dealer for the cylinder deactivation recall and the service advisor says only the non-turbo CX-5’s are recalled. The turbo engines on the Reserve don’t have this problem.

I also heard from him that CX-5 Diesel turbo are in transit to the dealerships in the USA. This dealership will have the diesels on the lot next month.

Has anyone heard this news?
Actually, there are already dealers in my area that have the diesels on their lots! 2.2L Turbo Skyactiv-D. I think it’s only available on the Signature. $42K+ 27/30 mpg.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:50 AM

I heard that diesel is a several thousand dollar option on top of the highest trim level. I have also heard that the increase in power and fuel economy is minimal.

I struggle to understand why anyone would purchase a diesel at this level of premium.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I heard that diesel is a several thousand dollar option on top of the highest trim level. I have also heard that the increase in power and fuel economy is minimal.

I struggle to understand why anyone would purchase a diesel at this level of premium.
Actually, I don’t think that CX-5 diesel will sell in the US. I am driving a 2019 CX-5 GT (non-turbo) and I find it sluggish and out of breath negotiating hills in MO, CO, Northern AZ and NM. I’m trading it in for a 2019 CX-5 Reserve (turbo) this weekend. I know I will be hit with less mpg but I don’t mind it.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:51 PM

Actually, I don’t think that CX-5 diesel will sell in the US. I am driving a 2019 CX-5 GT (non-turbo) and I find it sluggish and out of breath negotiating hills in MO, CO, Northern AZ and NM. I’m trading it in for a 2019 CX-5 Reserve (turbo) this weekend. I know I will be hit with less mpg but I don’t mind it.
If you don't mind sharing, are you on a lease or loan on your current non-turbo 2019 CX-5 and how much of a hit are you taking to go to the turbo version?

Old 08-01-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
If you don't mind sharing, are you on a lease or loan on your current non-turbo 2019 CX-5 and how much of a hit are you taking to go to the turbo version?
My 2019 CX-5 GT AWD (non-turbo) is fully paid, not leased. I will know this weekend how much the difference would be. I bought my CX-5 last February and it is still like new condition. We’ll see. Driving my wife’s Soul Red Reserve made me decide that I should replace my non-turbo with turbo. What a difference. The turbo is very responsive.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:35 PM

My 2019 CX-5 GT AWD (non-turbo) is fully paid, not leased. I will know this weekend how much the difference would be. I bought my CX-5 last February and it is still like new condition. We’ll see. Driving my wife’s Soul Red Reserve made me decide that I should replace my non-turbo with turbo. What a difference. The turbo is very responsive.
I understand, but is it really worth the financial hit? I feel the power very adequate in city traffic and only need a bit of planning while merging on to the highway. But in most situations 187 hp and 186 lb-ft of torque are very adequate, but of course everybody has their own preference. I see the turbo has 250 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, that's a big difference in deed

Old 08-01-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
I understand, but is it really worth the financial hit? I feel the power very adequate in city traffic and only need a bit of planning while merging on to the highway. But in most situations 187 hp and 186 lb-ft of torque are very adequate, but of course everybody has their own preference. I see the turbo has 250 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque, that's a big difference in deed
To me, it’s worth moving up to the turbo. I’m retired and I drive thru the uphill and downhill in MO, TX, CO, northern AZ and NM and the 2019 CX-5 GT AWD non-turbo lacks power climbing up hills. Yes it has very adequate for city and flat highway driving. I traded in my 2017 CX-5 GT AWD with this 2019 last February hoping that will have added power but no. At that time I did not know that there is a turbo version.

Edit: Plus the turbo does not have cylinder deactivation!

Last edited by firefox111; 08-01-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:09 AM

I understand the desire to upgrade to the turbo CX-5. As long as you are open to hear how much it will cost you, it is worth asking.

I had a similar frustration in 2011 when I bought a 2011 Sonata SE non-turbo when they first came out. I traded it in with 32,000 miles for a 2011 Sonata SE Turbo late in the model year. With the loyalty rebate and the favorable used car market at the time (after the earthquake in Japan in 2011 used car values in the US went up temporarily), my loss was minimal. I would have never known it would have been reasonable if I didn't ask.

My question is: How much would be involved to add the turbo to a non-turbo engine? Is it simply buying and installing the turbo and a few extra parts that need to be upgraded or is it a massive undertaking needing a new engine block or something?

Old 08-03-2019, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Not at all simple or cheap.

Quick Reply: CX-5 Diesel Turbo coming to USA?