Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Cylinder Deactivation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Subperson
Mine has Deactivation but you have no idea what the car is doing- Its smooth , not like vehicles in the past.
At this point, I doubt it will have any effect on the longevity as other car makers have been doing this forever and a majority of people never have an issue.

Does anyone think it will really shorten a lifespan ?

Well, except for the early ones back in the late 70's, and more recently the Ford 5.4 Triton. The cam phasers fail and it's a pretty pricey repair. Mazda uses a different system and most manufacturers, even GM, don't have much trouble.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:03 AM

And I have owned plenty of GM Cars- each one was trouble !

Old 07-26-2022, 10:39 AM

And I have owned plenty of GM Cars- each one was trouble !

GM does have a bad habit of using the customer as the final quality check. My sister bought one of the first Chevrolet Vegas. At 30,000 miles it got 100 miles to a quart of oil. There was a joke when I ran a salvage yard that the Vegas were made from compressed rust. I generally buy older, pre-Daimler Chrysler products but my CX-5 tested out so well I bought it and haven't regretted it once.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Grouch
GM does have a bad habit of using the customer as the final quality check. My sister bought one of the first Chevrolet Vegas. At 30,000 miles it got 100 miles to a quart of oil. There was a joke when I ran a salvage yard that the Vegas were made from compressed rust. I generally buy older, pre-Daimler Chrysler products but my CX-5 tested out so well I bought it and haven't regretted it once.
One of the best cars I ever owned was a 2012 Dodge Avenger with the Pentestar V6 - That car got great reviews for the engine but not the rest of it.. That car ran forever with no problems- In 2016 when it reached 125,000 miles I have it to my son to drive to college. He kept it till 220K then it died.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:15 AM

One of the best cars I ever owned was a 2012 Dodge Avenger with the Pentestar V6 - That car got great reviews for the engine but not the rest of it.. That car ran forever with no problems- In 2016 when it reached 125,000 miles I have it to my son to drive to college. He kept it till 220K then it died.

The biggest issue I had after the Daimler/Chrysler merger was they started using German style transmissions. Most manufacturers are doing this now. The greatest problem is the lack of a dip stick tube. It worked fine for decades. It works okay now when the vehicle is fairly new but there is NO provision for field servicing. I know of three vehicles that had to be towed because they sprang a leak in the field and couldn't have fluid added to get home. One had to have the transmission replaced when just adding fluid would have extended the service life.

One thing that drew me to Mazda was the use of an actual automatic transmission. I've driven cars with CVT transmissions. Step on the throttle and you get noise, but not much acceleration.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:16 PM

m5xguy, my thoughts exactly. Planning on keeping the vehicle for a while. That's why I posted the questions.

Thanks all for your replies.

Again, where can I get definitive answers to the two questions? Something from a Mazda publication/manual would be great.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by 20CX5
Thanks Chocolate for the reply. I've received conflicting answers to these question from many sources including MazdaUSA Customer Service and Mazda dealers. Did you find this info on a Mazda site or publication? Please share. Been told that all 2018 -2022 2.5 engines, including turbos have CD. Still waiting for MazdaUSA to reply on the 2017.
Mazda CX 5, 2022 Signature model, 2.5 Turbo DOES NOT HAVE CD! NO if's or buts! There is no cylinder deactivation in Turbo. I made sure of that before i purchased 6 months ago. Only basic 2.5 engine without Turbo has CD.

Old 07-28-2022, 07:52 AM

Thanks Mazdagus. That's what I want to do, make sure the turbos don't have CD. How/where did you confirm it?

Old 07-28-2022, 08:58 AM

If you check the mazdausa.com site (currently they have only 2023 models but you can also use web archive for 2022 models; I can verify that I checked earlier and it was the same as the 2023 models) you'll see the below for engine types which shows that turbos don't have CD:

Here is the link for trim comparison: https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx...pecs-and-trims

Last edited by M4C3; 07-28-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:06 AM

Here is a better picture:

Quick Reply: CX-5 Cylinder Deactivation