Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Thank you for posting this link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
I just registered my complaint and expressed my overall concern, particularly safety. If these windshields are cracking on their own, I can't imagine what they would do upon impact in a car accident or debris hitting the windshield at any speed. I strongly urge others to file a complaint.

Last edited by cotton5; 03-03-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added the nhtsa link
Old 03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
CX5

This thread about faulty windshield glass really worries me! I think I'll get an OEM Hood Deflector installed as soon as I possibly can. Think adding this accessory will help any bit?

Old 03-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Unhappy brdtksy

This is the second windshield crack - at the center of the windshield - at the very top...right by the rear-view mirror and then it creeps downward. First one was replaced 13 months ago - this one due to be replaced this week. Of course, at my expense. My dealership - who is usually helpful - was of no use. This time - no rock or anything, just a "pop" and then the crack. The first time - rock salt hit it and it cracked. Same place.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by cotton5
Cracked windshield on a new - 1800 miles, 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with Smart City Brake Support System and Rain sensor. A crack mysteriously appeared today in the front windshield of my car, as it was parked in our driveway. The crack starts at the top center and runs straight down to the rear view mirror and then forms an "s" shape and stops beneath the mirror. I took it to the dealer this evening. Unfortunately the manager was not there, but I was told to bring it back tomorrow for review to see if it will be covered under warranty. I am wondering if this is a problem due to poor factory installation and if there is an overall issue with the quality of Mazda windshields.
We have a similar crack in our 2014 CX5. It has about 10K miles and also has the "tech package" including smart stop and rain sensor. It occurred during a cold morning (32 F) but no other unusual circumstances. As viewed from inside it runs down from the top of the W/S on the left side of the mirror then turns right under the mirror where it has stopped for now. It looks like the letter "L" After owning 3 Mazdas: 2002 Tribute, 2008 MX5 and this 2014 CX5 I'm done with Mazda when replacement time comes around.
9/3/2014 Ron Tonkin replaced our windshield under a "goodwill" program. We reminded the dealer that the CX5 was our 3rd Mazda owned and "could be" our last based on our experience with this vehicle.

Last edited by hjimdick; 09-04-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Update windshield information.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:54 AM

Years ago when I was a claim adjuster in training, we were told that 1/3 of a unibody car's rigidity comes from the windshield.
The windshield is an important part of a cars rigidity.
My guess is that in order to save on weight (a common theme with skyactive), the windshield is not thick enough. It also sounds like the pen "test" is often used by dealers to weasel out of a repair.
When cracked, see if your fingernail will score the crack from the outside. If it doesn't, it definitately isn't caused by a rock chip.
For those who have it crack from just a rock salt (that shouldn't crack anything) that implies that windsheild is pretty stressed.
The last euro windshields I have seen are pretty darn thick compared to what you see on a japanese car.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:32 PM

Just bought a 2014 CX5 and only had it 6 days when we heard a loud "pop" and a crack appeared from the bottom center of the windshield upward, then hooked like a loop. We weren't even driving the vehicle at the time, so no way anything could have hit the windshield. After reading these threads, we were sure we had also gotten hit with a production flaw in the CX5 windshield! We were told to bring to the dealership for them to check it out. The service tech did try to do the pen test (which I was glad to have read previously about how some people had experienced where the tech made a mark with the pen to look like a "ding"). I'm not sure if that was his intention, but when I noticed him stopping on the crack and putting some pressure, I yelled for him to stop and that he was not going to change the way it looked. (I took pictures of the damage before I went to the dealership) He assured me that it was not his intention to "screw me over" (I thought that was an interesting choice of words since I didn't say that and it made me a little skeptical) In his defense, he did then say that "clearly there was no impact mark in the windshield" (ummm...no kidding..) and the dealership did repair the windshield as a warranty claim. Thank you to the person ahead of me in the threads that mentioned the "pen test" and it's potential to void a warranty so I could be prepared. Here's hoping this will be the last time we deal with this issue while we own this CX5, and hoping that anyone else with the same problem watches closely as the tech checks out the damage so it can be repaired as it should be...a warranty claim! Maybe if enough warranty claims are filed, Mazda will recall the windshield and give us one that will last....

Old 05-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Another good report, the "pen test" (like that's some kind of real test)...

Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Does anybody know if the 2015 CX-5 has this cracking windshield problem? This is freaking me out a little bit.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by td25er
Does anybody know if the 2015 CX-5 has this cracking windshield problem? This is freaking me out a little bit.
So far, I have not seen a post from a '15 owner with a cracked windsheild. Of course, it goes without saying that there are not that many out there. I have had mine for almost a month.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by cotton5
Cracked windshield on a new - 1800 miles, 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring with Smart City Brake Support System and Rain sensor. A crack mysteriously appeared today in the front windshield of my car, as it was parked in our driveway. The crack starts at the top center and runs straight down to the rear view mirror and then forms an "s" shape and stops beneath the mirror. I took it to the dealer this evening. Unfortunately the manager was not there, but I was told to bring it back tomorrow for review to see if it will be covered under warranty. I am wondering if this is a problem due to poor factory installation and if there is an overall issue with the quality of Mazda windshields.
Hello I am Koos from Holland.
I have exactly the same crack on the same location. Got my new CX-5 3 weeks ago. Now with 2200 km. I parked my car last saturday-evening with no crack and I went to work this morning and there was the crack. My CX-5 has 5 camera's and sensors and I think the big black surface is the problem. Last Sunday was a very sunny day and there was no shadow where I parked the car. The black spot gets much hotter than the other parts of the window. But that is my guess.
The dealer looked at my windshield and said a rock was the problem. I know for sure no rock hit my car last Saturday. But there was some small damage from previous hits.

Last edited by koos; 05-19-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System