Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cracked windshield 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Smart City Brake Support System

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:40 PM

I just bought a brand new cx 5 2016 grand touring and my windshield cracked about 4 months ago... I got it replaced at safe lite and just the other day it cracked again!!!!... So now I am about to buy my second windshield which isn't cheap!!! I read people's previous comments and see that the 2014 cx5s had this problem... Anyone with a 2016 that is having this problem? Apparently it is going to be a chronic issue like someone previously mentioned so disappointed!!!

Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Default Mazda CX-5 Windshield Cracking - Some Info for You

Sorry to hear you are also experiencing a problem that I have had. We have had two windshields replaced and our third has a "chip" on the passenger side, about midway up and 24 inches in. This chip has not yet resulted in the propagation of a crack. My understanding is that any chip, no matter how small, on the edge of windshield or direct center will likely result in crack propagation. The windshield thickness on either side of the center plastic is very thin and the windshield/car configuration results in high stress points...which like to crack when chipped.

Our insurance comprehensive covers replacement with a $100 deductible. AAA has been great...been with them for over 3 decades. Not too bad considering it costs about $800 for a new windshield with the auto rain sensor. I assume you checked with your insurance company before you shelled out the dollars to replace your windshield.

With the exception of the windshield, our 2013 Mazda CX-5 has been a great car. We have 50K miles on it and have had zero problems except for the windshield. I wish Mazda would get their act together on this issue.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:46 AM

My window also broke in my Mazda 3 FOR THE THIRD TIME!. Lucky I have FULL GLASS COVERAGE.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:01 PM

What a POS this windshield is, I have the same issue after less than 3 months of light casual driving (like 2-3 days per week). Dealership, absolutely no help and made me run around in person there, phone calls, making me try to go when the "corporate guy" was there on one specific day. They took pictures then only 3 weeks later after I have to track them down say the pictures are not usable.

I call corporate, then the guy never puts notes in system and the next day I have to start over.

Then corporate calls dealership and dealership says to them there is a rock chip so not covered. WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST TELL ME THAT THEN?

These people are horrible, the car drives great but I have lost total faith in MAZDA, never again will I give them any business. I'm afraid I'll get this POS fixed and have to do it again. What am I supposed to do, lower my deductible in case this POS has frequent shady windshield issues?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:56 PM
Thumbs down Windshield Crack

Gee, at least I am not alone with the Windshield issue. 2016 CX-5, 13,000 miles; a weedeater threw a stone and within 4 miles the crack line was already 18 inches. Cheap windshield. Good thing my 2009 Toyota Highlander, with 150,000 miles on it, 3 stone nicks, but no crack is such a durable SUV. Really starting to question my CX-5; if the windshield is so cheap, what else on the vehicle is just as deficient!

Old 05-29-2017, 06:18 AM

Never had a chip or crack in my 2015, but rest assured the windshield in the 2017s is beefier - mostly to combat noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) which so many owners complained about. I'm sure the fragile nature of the first generation windshields also had something to do with it.

I made the windshield problem a concern as I was negotiating for my 2015 but the sales person pretended they never heard of the problem.

Do the aftermarket windshield also suffer from the thinness issue?

Oh, and the 2017 glass will NOT fit the first gen CX-5's. Sorry...

Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pipemajor
Do the aftermarket windshield also suffer from the thinness issue?
Our 2015 CX5 Touring's replacement windshield is holding up well after 50,000 miles. Our original windshield cracked after 3000 miles 2 years ago. It was replaced free of charge because we bought extra insurance after reading about it here.