Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

A couple of issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
Wouldn't a better, more logical and safer place for these sensors be inside the car, say on the front of the rear view mirrors?
All millimeter wave radar units used for distance measuring that I know of are mounted in the grill behind an emblem. And they all have the same problem with wet snow. But they work better in fog than cameras. Each system has its foibles

Old 03-08-2021, 04:05 PM

So, I took my car on a 120 mile highway trip to get my car pinstriped - wonderful job I might add - really breaks up that solid grey metallic paint. I wanted to see under pretty much ideal conditions (just about all highway miles) what type of mileage I can get. Kept it a steady 58-64mph - mostly with Automatic Cruise Control and was pleasantly surprised to get 28.7mpg. Very nice!

Old 03-09-2021, 07:26 PM

I'm looking at a 2021 CX-5 GTR (turbo) so good to know gas mileage won't be that bad. Have you checked it at higher freeway speeds? If i drove 58-64 mph on the freeways around here I'd get a ticket for illegal parking on a freeway.

Love the look of the Carbon Edition but it's going to be my wife's car I think that's going to be the used CX-5 in demand in a few years.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
I'm looking at a 2021 CX-5 GTR (turbo) so good to know gas mileage won't be that bad. Have you checked it at higher freeway speeds? If i drove 58-64 mph on the freeways around here I'd get a ticket for illegal parking on a freeway.

Love the look of the Carbon Edition but it's going to be my wife's car I think that's going to be the used CX-5 in demand in a few years.
In my case, mileage is pretty good. I have about 7000 miles on the clock. 65 MPH gets about 24-27 mpg. 55 mph results in mid-30's.
Dealer put Mobil-1 in at first oil change (5000). Expect better with warmer weather. Tires at 34/35.

My 2¢

Old 03-10-2021, 06:31 AM

Nah, I was going at those speeds to see what the mpg's would be under "ideal" highway driving speeds. I may take it on a longer trip with my family (= more weight) at more appropriate speeds (75-80mph) tomorrow. The Carbon Edition - with those deep red "leather' seats are stunning, but if I were to go back in time, I would have opted for a higher trim level.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
In my case, mileage is pretty good. I have about 7000 miles on the clock. 65 MPH gets about 24-27 mpg. 55 mph results in mid-30's.
Dealer put Mobil-1 in at first oil change (5000). Expect better with warmer weather. Tires at 34/35.

My 2¢
Dennis,

Turbo or not? What oil do they normally use? If different, would you attribute any benefit of Mobil - 1?

Old 03-10-2021, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by bobm
Dennis,

Turbo or not? What oil do they normally use? If different, would you attribute any benefit of Mobil - 1?
Yes on the Turbo. GTR. Mobil likely doesn't do any better than any other synthetic. I was told that Mazda dealers
used or was supposed to use Idemitsu oil. Supposedly that is the brand used as factory fill and there is/was a
strong connection between Mazda and Idemitsu. So I only mentioned it is passing.

My 2¢

Old 03-10-2021, 11:11 AM

I'm looking at the GTR (turbo) so that sounds like real-world mileage i could live with. Most of our driving will be around town with some freeway as well (probably mileage will be 50-50 each). But i have a heavier right foot than my wife, so that won't help.

So how difficult is changing the oil oneself? I have a floor jack and good jack stands and do change oil on my cars myself. I"m not familiar with Idemitsu.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:22 AM

I'm looking at the GTR (turbo) so that sounds like real-world mileage i could live with. Most of our driving will be around town with some freeway as well (probably mileage will be 50-50 each). But i have a heavier right foot than my wife, so that won't help.

So how difficult is changing the oil oneself? I have a floor jack and good jack stands and do change oil on my cars myself. I"m not familiar with Idemitsu.
According to the youtube videos, it's no harder than any other. Trap door covers the filter and drain plug area. Vertical filter.

My 2¢

Old 03-10-2021, 03:02 PM

Did you ever consider using one of the extractors to change the oil?

Quick Reply: A couple of issues....