Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:14 PM

Those remote starter are known to cause issues like that. Ill start first by disconnecting the remote starter and check again for any changes.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by TWrecks
My 2016 CX5 AWD GT had a dead battery after sitting out front for a week. Jumped it and charged but happened again a few days later. Dead cell in battery. I know deep discharging a car battery usually starts a death cycle, but this was the 1st time after 4 years. 4 years is a little shorter than I'm used too.

Anyways after the battery was replaced with the best Interstate had in this size, I measured the battery drain:
Right after off: ~2.5A
~2min later: Relay clicks, ~2A
another couple minutes: 0.5A
After another ~30s : 0.35A
5 min later: 0.2A

Locking it didn't bring it below that. All lights were off.

Seems a little high. What is normal?

We do have an aftermarket remote starter.

Tim
I would say 4yrs is pretty average on a modern car with lots of electronics. 5yrs sometimes, but 4 is pretty good.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
You may want to re-read your car insurance policy. You maybe voiding cover by not locking you car when not in use.

Definitely not a design flaw.

And I am that Mechanic who keeps warning CX-5 owners to always lock their vehicle.
I know this is an old thread, but seriously? I rarely lock my cars at home as they are in an enclosed garage. No need IMHO. I would certainly fight that one out with insurance if it became an issue.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:17 PM
MGE

Originally Posted by hjimdick
I learned a lesson last night about our 2014 CX5 with tech package. I turned the car off but had left it in neutral. Without restarting I shifted it to park. BIG MISTAKE! When I checked on the car 2 hours later it was cycling thru headlights on, radio on, GPS on and heater on. I thought aliens had taken it over! The display warned about the key system and said to take it to the dealer. I checked the battery and it was discharged. I charged over night. Bottom Line move the shift lever to park BEFORE pushing the Start Button. Due to the trouble I've had with the GPS & phone etc. previously I should not have gotten the tech package.
My wife wasn't able to start the engine, she didn't even shift the gear from P and all the alarms were ON. However when I arrived I pushed the start engine with hitting the break and I had the security indicator light ON, according to the manual it maybe the remote battery, I replaced the remote battery but still the engine won't start!.
note that I have almost fresh battery only 3 month old, eventually I jumped the battery and the engine start, the following day the engine start with no issue and I suspect its the alternator because the belt went off 3 month ago but the mechanic assured me that the alternator output is ideal!.
​​​​​​​At the end I wasn't able to find the root cause but I claimed a new battery based on the warranty
weird ha ?

Old 07-26-2020, 09:29 AM

2013 and 2014 had a common problem with the Park sensor wearing out, the radio and accessories intermittently stay on after shutting off car. Battery would run down. $55 part and an hour to self-install with moderate difficulty.