Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 AM

Also check that your rear cargo light isn't switched to always on. It's an incandescent bulb so can pull enough power weaken a battery over a few days. With the factory privacy tint, location of the light and high seat backs, it's hard to tell that it's on from the drivers side of the car. I didn't realize mine had been left on until I happened to see it through the passenger side rear window.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kelly_A
Also check that your rear cargo light isn't switched to always on. It's an incandescent bulb so can pull enough power weaken a battery over a few days. With the factory privacy tint, location of the light and high seat backs, it's hard to tell that it's on from the drivers side of the car. I didn't realize mine had been left on until I happened to see it through the passenger side rear window.
Good point, since I don't know if the battery saving feature (where settings can be personalized) works on the rear cargo light. It's not covered specifically in owners manual. I haven't tested it.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:24 AM

I have a CX-5 with about 30,000 miles now. Last summer, for no apparent reason, the battery was dead when I went out to start it up. No lights or other electrical stuff was left on. The AAA guy jumped the battery and it started right up. I took it to the Mazda dealer and they could find no reason for this to happen.

Ironically, I did have a set of jump cables on the CX-5 in the rear storage compartment. I could not get to them because the rear hatch door is electrically operated! Sort of a catch 22! Now, I keep the jump cables now in the open rear area so I can actually get to them if needed.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by rich4205
I have a CX-5 with about 30,000 miles now. Last summer, for no apparent reason, the battery was dead when I went out to start it up. No lights or other electrical stuff was left on. The AAA guy jumped the battery and it started right up. I took it to the Mazda dealer and they could find no reason for this to happen.

Did Mazda dealer install a new battery?

Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Default Battery died

Originally Posted by CX-SV
Did Mazda dealer install a new battery?
The dealer didn't replace the battery. They said they checked everything and could find no cause for the CX-5 not to start.

The fact that I had jumper cables with me but could not get them out of the rear storage due to the rear hatch being only electrically unlocked was very exasperating to say the least!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Banned
Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Default cx5 battery

I just returned to buffalo and my 2013 cx5 parked in the airport parking lot-after 7 days, the battery was dead. Attendants thankfully charged it and i drove about 5 miles home. This am-dead again. I am waiting for AAA and a diagnosis. Ive always owned hondas in the past and never had a battery issue this early in the car's life! It has been an extremely cold week here...

Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca C

I'm not sure what I could have done. Does anyone with experience with this car have any advice? I'm pretty sure I turned everything off, radio, lights, etc. Shouldn't there be some sort of warning beep for lights left on anyway? I am afraid we got a lemon. Has anyone had battery issues with their CX5?
I learned a lesson last night about our 2014 CX5 with tech package. I turned the car off but had left it in neutral. Without restarting I shifted it to park. BIG MISTAKE! When I checked on the car 2 hours later it was cycling thru headlights on, radio on, GPS on and heater on. I thought aliens had taken it over! The display warned about the key system and said to take it to the dealer. I checked the battery and it was discharged. I charged over night. Bottom Line move the shift lever to park BEFORE pushing the Start Button. Due to the trouble I've had with the GPS & phone etc. previously I should not have gotten the tech package.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rich4205
The dealer didn't replace the battery. They said they checked everything and could find no cause for the CX-5 not to start.

The fact that I had jumper cables with me but could not get them out of the rear storage due to the rear hatch being only electrically unlocked was very exasperating to say the least!

btw-In the owner manual, it shows you how to open hatch from inside. The mechanical latch release is under a little plastic cover on inside of hatch door.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 AM
RJG

Just bought a 2014 CX5. Only has 80 miles on it. Didn't drive it for 5 days and battery was completely dead. Nothing was left on in the car. Dealership told me that the pushbutton start somehow has a constant drain. Had car jumped and brought to dealership. Dealer advised that there was no unusual drain, but that the battery had a defective cell. Replaced battery under warranty. Now let's see. Will be out of town for 5 days in the near future.

Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died