Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CX-SV
btw-In the owner manual, it shows you how to open hatch from inside. The mechanical latch release is under a little plastic cover on inside of hatch door.
I will have to check for the mechanical latch release, but I am guessing one would have to crawl over the seats to get into the back.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by rich4205
I will have to check for the mechanical latch release, but I am guessing one would have to crawl over the seats to get into the back.
Yes, and fold down one of the rear seats to make it easier.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Unhappy CX-5 GT won't start

Originally Posted by Rebecca C

I'm not sure what I could have done. Does anyone with experience with this car have any advice? I'm pretty sure I turned everything off, radio, lights, etc. Shouldn't there be some sort of warning beep for lights left on anyway? I am afraid we got a lemon. Has anyone had battery issues with their CX5?
CX-5 GT 2014 - You had starting problems. How was the problem resolved?
Two new batteries installed in my NEW car and car still won't start within a few days of replacement! Problem started around 3000 km. It now reads 5,000 km. Car has been boosted 6 times since. Car has been at the dealership for more than 15 days total. HELP!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Exec fen
CX-5 GT 2014 - You had starting problems. How was the problem resolved?
Two new batteries installed in my NEW car and car still won't start within a few days of replacement! Problem started around 3000 km. It now reads 5,000 km. Car has been boosted 6 times since. Car has been at the dealership for more than 15 days total. HELP!

Did they give you a good loaner car?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:34 PM

Same damn thing with my cx5. I've only had this thing for 7 months, and the battery is dead for the second time. 100% positive no lights or electronics left on. Looks like this is an epidemic.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:07 AM

When parking the CX-5 be sure to put the shifter in "Park" before turning off the engine. If the vehicle is turned off in "Drive" some of the electric stuff may stay on...

Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 PM

I talked with another service center today, and he said that he has seen similar issues before. But he said that we need to turn off the AC/heat, audio, and unplug any electronics before turning off the engine because they can still drain the battery even after the engine's off.

I'm no mechanic, but that sounds like a load of crap. But if it's true that leaving the AC/heat in the "on" position or leaving the radio on while turning off the engine is a source of battery drain, then this is a real design flaw.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Default Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

1. If not done already, have the dealer perform a parasitic draw test.
2. If any after market equipment has been installed into the car, it should be checked out. It is the likely culprit.

I own a 2013 Mazda 3. My Mazda dealer installed a homelink/compass/automatic dimmer rearview mirror in my car at the time of purchase. 6 months later the batter died. Dealer said it was a bad battery and replaced it. 2 months later that battery died, dealer said the battery was OK and I drained it because I was using an air pump at the time it died. They recharged the battery. 2 weeks later battery was dead again, dealer said it was a bad battery (now) and replaced it again. Every time they said everything in the car was OK. Third visit they conducted a parasitic draw test and said the car past the test.

I started looking on the internet and found a leading cause of battery draining is aftermarket equipment. Found installation instructions for my rearview mirror online that mentioned two power wires are needed: one always on for the homelink button and one ignition controlled for the automatic dimmer & compass. Instructions cautioned that if power wires are reversed that it would drain battery.

I took the car back to the dealer (fourth time) and instructed them to check power wires to mirror and switch if they were wrong. They were.
I have not had any battery issues since.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 AM

CX-5 GT starting problems - Day 16 of service at dealership- The battery (third new one) was boosted once more to get the car into the garage for servicing. The car would not start for them the next day. Service dep't informed me that they looked at the fuse system. Last week they have been trying to determine the source of a possible parasitic draw. I was then told, it was possibly related to the audio. Last Friday, I was told that Sirius maybe the problem. They have sent in yet another ticket to Mazda Canada.

For the record - after the first incident last November (3000 Km on car), I always made sure that all gadgets were turned off (radio, fan, headlights). I did not walk away until the inside light turned off. I always placed the transmission in P before turning off the vehicle

The original new battery was changed twice. Yet, the vehicle failed to start within 2 weeks of the changes and needed to be boosted 6 times.

The only thing I did not bring up with service is the status of the remote starter. It is the only gadget that was added and it is a Mazda original.

I have sent the service dep't every possible solution offered in blogs such as: change the battery, replace sensor relays, look for parasitic draws, even the extreme case in South Carolina where the electrical problem got so bad, BBB mediator ordered the manufacturer to buy back the vehicle.

Any more ideas out there? HELP!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Default Cx-5 battery

Rebecca, I haven't had a problem since I got the new battery. I now have 17,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died