Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Default Bad radio reception

Hi,
Love my new 2017 Mazda CX-5 but there is one thing that is bugging me. The radio reception is bad, the stations seem to fade in and out and it switches from stereo to mono and back to stereo in FM mode. The reception gets worse the further you drive out of the city. Never had problem with the radio on my older BMW on the same stretch of road before. Is it an antenna problem (shark fin) or is the radio of poor quality. How have others solved it?

Old 09-13-2017, 03:22 PM

Interesting that you are having issues with the OEM system...
My reception is great, and is the only reason I haven't gone aftermarket due to the ****ty Nav.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 PM

OK found out what was wrong with it. The radio reception is not as good as in the European cars but the real reason for stereo to mono drop out was the navigation system that mutes the sound in the driver side speakers when the navigation voice comes along even at very low volumes. It is silly really. Why could they not overlay the navigation direction voice over the music rather than cutting the music off from one side speakers, or mute the music totally during navigation voice instruction and resume the music when the navigation voice stops.?

Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by raj55
OK found out what was wrong with it. The radio reception is not as good as in the European cars but the real reason for stereo to mono drop out was the navigation system that mutes the sound in the driver side speakers when the navigation voice comes along even at very low volumes. It is silly really. Why could they not overlay the navigation direction voice over the music rather than cutting the music off from one side speakers, or mute the music totally during navigation voice instruction and resume the music when the navigation voice stops.?
So the passengers can still hear the music?

Old 09-27-2017, 02:19 PM

The music comes from the passenger side speaker but all can hear it in the car in a mono format and it is noticeable and very disturbing to the ear and feels like a signal drop out. If I recall correctly it has actually been mentioned in some other site.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 PM

OK found the thread that describes it.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-off-Nav-voice