Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:21 AM

The electronics on this car are embarrassingly bad. No, I don't want
To buy a car have my IPhone stuck the windshield because the
$$$$ gps is crap.
I was really, really hoping that mazda would announce an improved
Setup this week at the auto show. I mean come on, this thing has been
Out since '12, it's no secret that the stereo and gps is crap yet
They haven't done anything to improve it.
I'll go check out the Crv in a couple of weeks, maybe buy
That instead.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:52 AM

It's a joke. It is the blueprint for a complete **** electronics system. Great job Mazda

Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Talking TomTom

Originally Posted by spicymudbugs
It's a joke. It is the blueprint for a complete **** electronics system. Great job Mazda
It is beyond me why so many people don't know how to use the NB1. I have had numerous built in GPS units in cars such as Honda, Nissan, Lexus and now the CX 5. The TomTom unit is far better in any aspect than any of the others; to include the efficiency of keeping it current, the superior routing, superior traffic and for me a very straight forward interface that I find very logical. It may not be logical for those of us that are not logical thinkers. TomTom is the world leader in sat nav systems and has set the standard for all the followers. My advice would be to learn how to use the system and quit complaining about a device that works so well for most. There are those that if it is not a cell phone they are totally out of their element. I honestly think that some could not find their A$$ if they didn't have their cell phone and yes I own a IPhone 5s but also a TomTom 2535, 1505, and now the NB1.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:07 AM

Further to the above.

NB1 Is quite simple to plod through, in fact no worse than any other computer based medium.

In Europe TomTom is the most popular, and is as stable as any of the competitors.

There are a few idiosyncrasies however:

For example that if you hit a wrong icon/button, and let's face it we are all trigger happy, then if you hit "Back" you go all the way back to page one.

We in the UK had horrendous problems with Live Traffic, which we had to pay a subscription for, and finally a resolution has taken place. Still needs a bit of work, but at least is useable.

Other problems are around the equipment itself, and has nothing to do with TomTom, who are only the service provider.

For the 2014 models the i-pod reverting to the first on the list is not clever, but that isn't a TomTom issue.

No happy medium between the intensity of day/night settings. There looks to be something between the two as you trim back to night, but no way to keep at an acceptable level.

I gather that in the States & Canada, there is no means of setting or re-plotting a journey once the vehicle is moving. Crazy really, as thanks to the music tracks reverting to alphabetical order on start-up, the driver is able to run through menus whilst on the move to get the music of choice.

Alex

Old 11-25-2013, 11:06 AM

I am frequently visiting the Toronto area and to be totally honest, I cannot find my A$$ with all the road closures and accidents happening. I know the general direction and I bring a printed list of the route with me, however traffic normally gets backed up about 30K (~18 miles) before you even enter the city limits.... The NB1 is not up to the task as I have to pull off the road to find my way through the menu system. I will get used to the software, at this moment I do not find it "intuitive" and yes I am used to TomTom as I had one since I still lived in Europe.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:05 PM

I think its fair to say that the current setup is plagued by
1) poor hardware response
2) poor software logic (UI GUI/Voice)

aka its garbage right now. if you don't have good response, and the software is crap what do you have left?

the only thing that its got going for it is the nav core (TOMTOM). but its useless if you can't access it easily and properly.

good news is that software can be improved easily. and it may also fix 1)

so c'mon mazda, fix it!

Last edited by hrrm; 11-30-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM

All GPS are not created equal, but I love my TomTom and here is a good example way. A group of us head out last Saturday to have dinner, 3 car with 3 different navigation systems, TomTom, Garmin and Magellan. We all leave the location at the same time and all 3 units plotted 3 different routes, end result the TomTom route was the quickest with the live traffic updates arrived first 10 minutes before the other 2 cars. The Garmin had live traffic updates but the information was incomplete and they ran into a traffic jams along the way.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by Reggaetrix
All GPS are not created equal, but I love my TomTom and here is a good example way. A group of us head out last Saturday to have dinner, 3 car with 3 different navigation systems, TomTom, Garmin and Magellan. We all leave the location at the same time and all 3 units plotted 3 different routes, end result the TomTom route was the quickest with the live traffic updates arrived first 10 minutes before the other 2 cars. The Garmin had live traffic updates but the information was incomplete and they ran into a traffic jams along the way.
My TomTom's have always provided me with the best rout, I have developed a trust in the TomTom system that I never had with the Garmin 3590 (that I returned to Amazon) I applaud Mazda for using the TomTom system and was a major factor in my choosing the CX-5 over the RAV-4. No device is perfect, that is made by man, but for what is available on today's market the TomTom system certainly preforms better (when it really counts) than all the others I have owned/used. There is a reason that TomTom sells more Sat Nav devices than anyone else in the world.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Angry Mazda should be embarrassed

Better bring a Garmin if you want gps navigation in this car. This tomtom isn't worthy of being called that.

We have had this car for about a month now and the navigation always seemed to be AWOL so we just ran the one free update today. Simply stated, this thing does not know any addresses. We were only able to enter one address that it could digest prior to the update and now it doesn't even know that one. What an abbreviated map program this must be. I honestly hope that we are doing something wrong although it seems that most of the posters here, with a few exceptions, are having similar experience.

My wife is ready to drive the car into the river over this. We have a Garmin and it looks like we will have to continue to rely on it.

I hate that my first post about this great car has to be so negative.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 AM
Default Wow

Originally Posted by dzknmd
Better bring a Garmin if you want gps navigation in this car. This tomtom isn't worthy of being called that.

We have had this car for about a month now and the navigation always seemed to be AWOL so we just ran the one free update today. Simply stated, this thing does not know any addresses. We were only able to enter one address that it could digest prior to the update and now it doesn't even know that one. What an abbreviated map program this must be. I honestly hope that we are doing something wrong although it seems that most of the posters here, with a few exceptions, are having similar experience.

My wife is ready to drive the car into the river over this. We have a Garmin and it looks like we will have to continue to rely on it.

I hate that my first post about this great car has to be so negative.
It is obvious that you either don't know how to use the NB1 or you have a fixable tech issue, in any case, if you would try to find the real problem instead of complaining about a product that works very well for so many you would end up with a very good nav device and we wouldn't have to read your unfounded complaints. A little effort to fix a problem or educate yourself in the use of a nav device may change your life.

Last edited by 1OF750; 12-21-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: correct a word

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?