Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37k mile recommendations from my dealer service dept

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 3bamboo
Thought I'd share this with you all for laughs.
My car is 2019 and has 37k miles, it is running fine.
Went in for an oil change and left with 5 "needs immediate attention" recommendations:

Gas direct injection $240
Brake fluid exchange $120
Engine tune up $440
Transfer case fluid replacement $129
Differential flush - rear $129
Welcome to the forum.

An interesting way to start your first post on the forum?

Was it needs or recommendations those are both totally different?

Old 01-31-2023, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by cadcamjim
Even Mazda is on to what these dealers are up to...
MC-10208556-0001.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
Thanks for sharing the above TSB document. This is a public document on the NHTSA website (i.e., an official US Government website) and hence, no problem to be shared; i.e., this is not some "secret" Mazda document.

The main takeaway from this document is as follows:

Mazda has developed factory recommended scheduled maintenance services that support all major vehicle systems. Mazda recommends dealers follow the scheduled maintenance tables as cited in the vehicle-specific workshop manual or owner's manual. Services performed outside of Mazda's factory scheduled maintenance are not recommended. These services are unnecessary and create unneeded expenses for your customers.

So in case your dealer suggests any of the below services, be on the watch and make sure that your vehicle is really needing any of these. Get a detailed service report by the dealer of why they insist in doing these:

Transmission flushes
Transmission oil additives
Engine flushes
Engine oil additives
Engine cooling system flushing
Cleaning of injectors
Nitrogen for tires
Brake fluid flushes
Power Steering fluid flushes

During my last oil change visit when I declined their injector cleaning and brake fluid flush recommendation, they did not explain anything but at the same time they were not pushy. So I got the impression that they just tried their luck to see if I accept their recommendations or not and when I said "no thank you" there was no follow-up or any other indication of urgency regarding these services.

Last edited by mazda_nc_dude; 01-31-2023 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Gas direct injection $240 WTF is this?
Brake fluid exchange $120 Should be done every two years or 40,000kms / 24,000 miles
Engine tune up $440 What does this contain? Air filter is due every 60,000kms / 36,000 miles, Spark plugs every 120,000kms / 72,000 miles. Fuel Filter every 150,000kms / 90,000 miles
Transfer case fluid replacement $129 For my peace of mind YES
Differential flush - rear $129 For my peace of mind YES.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:47 AM

The vehicle I owned prior to my CX-5 was a little Mercedes B-250. The service staff began getting really pushy about certain services that I knew from the schedule were not yet due. In fact, one time they did a coolant flush without asking first long before it was needed. I pushed back hard on that one and got a refund. But the point is, I believe that all owners should become familiar with the service schedule and like others on this forum have said, be ready to ask for justification for recommendations that don't seem necessary. It's the shy and non-confrontational owners I feel the most for, because they put a lot of trust in the service staff and will often just give the green light on whatever is suggested.

I make a spreadsheet listing everything done to my vehicle, including their recommendations, so I can keep track of what they want done versus what got done. It helps a lot.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Gas direct injection $240 WTF is this?
Brake fluid exchange $120 Should be done every two years or 40,000kms / 24,000 miles
Engine tune up $440 What does this contain? Air filter is due every 60,000kms / 36,000 miles, Spark plugs every 120,000kms / 72,000 miles. Fuel Filter every 150,000kms / 90,000 miles
Transfer case fluid replacement $129 For my peace of mind YES
Differential flush - rear $129 For my peace of mind YES.
Brake fluid should be done every 2yrs 24k no matter what? Not feeling you on this one. They have fluid tester strips which tell you if your fluid needs renewing. I have a mechanic friend (worked a dealership for his entire life and recently retired) who recommends using the strips rather than just replacing by time/mileage.

If you like spending money for your own piece of mind, great, but that doesn't make the service necessary, or more importantly recommended by the manufacturer.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by sigsvet61
The vehicle I owned prior to my CX-5 was a little Mercedes B-250. The service staff began getting really pushy about certain services that I knew from the schedule were not yet due. In fact, one time they did a coolant flush without asking first long before it was needed. I pushed back hard on that one and got a refund. But the point is, I believe that all owners should become familiar with the service schedule and like others on this forum have said, be ready to ask for justification for recommendations that don't seem necessary. It's the shy and non-confrontational owners I feel the most for, because they put a lot of trust in the service staff and will often just give the green light on whatever is suggested.

I make a spreadsheet listing everything done to my vehicle, including their recommendations, so I can keep track of what they want done versus what got done. It helps a lot.
Just an FYI the service scheduling is the basic service under what you would call perfect operating conditions.

The term pushy regarding service recomendation is somehwta vague I am sure they gave a write up estimate and if you asked the reason had some answer? Or you could have ask each item as to there exact reason why they are recommending it and how they determined the service.

If you follow exactly what the auto manufacture service scheduling is then you are covered for the warranty period THATS IT!!! Remember that! After that warranty period ends when things go wrong because some of those recommend services were not done you will be the one paying for now!
For me and hundreds of service shops everywhere are happy that so many customers only follow service scheduling or else we would not have so many customers every day.

Al I have said in this thread and other threads if a service Technician or mechanic recommends something outside that scheduling's to ASK why and have them show you on your vehicle or by what they used to test for them to suggest you have something done!

Members on forum (unqulified in the service field) are always quick to post what you should not do regarding a service recommendation, but than should something happen they have nothing to lose.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Brake fluid should be done every 2yrs 24k no matter what? Not feeling you on this one. They have fluid tester strips which tell you if your fluid needs renewing. I have a mechanic friend (worked a dealership for his entire life and recently retired) who recommends using the strips rather than just replacing by time/mileage.

If you like spending money for your own piece of mind, great, but that doesn't make the service necessary, or more importantly recommended by the manufacturer.
Dude the strips DO NOT indicate anything except the copper corrosion level .

I use them all the time and have posted their value to use many times on every forum I participate on! .

ROLMAO

Old 02-01-2023, 11:27 AM

I've found the following among my friends/family/coworkers.
Some do nothing but oil/filter changes and top off other fluids when/if needed and rarely, if ever, clean their vehicles (except when they sell or trade it).
Some maintain according to the manufacturer's recommendations, clean vehicle on a regular basis often going far beyond in both instances.
Yet in the past 20 years or so, not counting accidents, I've never seen any of these vehicles fail or require major repairs in either group, that was caused by a lack of maintenance issues.
And we'll still get the same book values...go figure.

Old 02-01-2023, 11:45 AM

I guess we would need to define "Major"? IN our shop alone we get one vehicle towed in every week. In my friend's transmission shop they are replacing or repairing automatic's daily and his bay are seldom vacant. Shops like Firestone in most area's do several brake and suspension service every day. Most all of these are from vehicle that the owner neglected to have them service in a timely manor. The transmission are becoming the most major part failed in the last 2 dacades manily because of lifetime no service be the auto manufactures??
There are on this forum alone several recent threads of new member's buying a used Mazda and having issues from neglect of servicing.

I am not saying your observation is inaccurate I am only saying that being in the service business we see things a little different based on the number of vehicles we service weekly, monthly and yearly and what the most common causes are.
As for the resale value I think most information is subjective based on what the individual thinks their vehicle quality and condition is and not any real inspection to support it? IMHO???
But yes it is amazing that POS vehicle can have the same value as one that is really in good serviceable condition??

For me personally I can not remember ever in some 200 used vehicles I have owned not having to do something to repair or replace parts?

Old 02-01-2023, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Thanks for sharing the above TSB document. This is a public document on the NHTSA website (i.e., an official US Government website) and hence, no problem to be shared; i.e., this is not some "secret" Mazda document.
Ya here is the thing...maybe get your facts correct? LOL The NHTSA does not post TSB that is only provided from the manufacture!
You should research this both MAZDA and with the NHTSA
PLEASE post their documented response!!
I don't want to see what you said in a call email them and post there return answer!
I love when a few members think I just make up sheeet to respond to just because????" lol

Mazda Corp USA
Mazda USA Official Site | Cars, SUVs & Crossovers | Mazda USA

NHTSA
NHTSAmedia@dot.gov

Quick Reply: 37k mile recommendations from my dealer service dept