Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2021 CX 5 heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 04:55 PM

If that is the area no one really can tell what that it is. Its to blurred and the cooler could be anything?
I know that is a difficult area to get a good picture.

I was not calling you wrong I just could not see what you were describing!

Old 05-21-2023, 03:01 AM

new head versus old cracked head with oil leak

New head versus old cracked head with oil leak. see the brown oil streaks behind cylinder # 3. aluminum head with polyplastic valve cover. it's not rust folks.

I should add these pics are a 2018 NA-CD.
This is not a 2023 and the earlier years could have been several batches of malformed defective thin head castings. Per a Russian mechanic/welder video, the head castings were very thin on the cylinder backside. Mazda never indicated a head redesign on the CD engines so there may have been a manufacture defect during casting and not a design error. They most likely fixed the manufacture process somewhere after the 2020 or 2021 run. The TSB only covers 2018 to 2020 CD engines. However I would keep an eye on the MY 2021. The 2022 and up shouldn't have this problem. Would be safer to get a newer CX-5 from 2022 or later.

Last edited by kilroy22; 05-21-2023 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by owynn.severiano
Just keep up with maintenance and the car will treat you happily. These cars are some of the most reliable out there in the market!
Ditto.

Old 08-15-2023, 01:55 PM

Cracked heads are still happening with the 2022 models. I just got my cylinder head replaced under warranty. It's a CX-5 2.5 S Preferred with a skyactiv engine; it's not the turbo. I bought it new in March of 2022 and it only has 13,000 miles on it. There were no warning signs or symptoms other than the low oil level light coming on. I stopped immediately so no damage was done to the engine. Because of the panels under the car, there was no noticeable oil leak. There was no coolant leak, no smoke, no smell.

The invoice says: "Oil saturation on back of head, front cover, and undershields. Contacted hotline. Advised to inspect for crack and saturation at cyl 3 hla. Found oil seep at cyl 3 hla spot of head. Advised to replace cylinder head."

I hope the replacement head lasts.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:18 PM

DianeJinOK
Welcome to the forum

Just a FYI don't take it personel..... Oil leaking has a smell even if it is caught on the plastic under carriage. But if you don't know what it smells like you may not have noticed it. Just like new oil smells different from old oil and brake fluid and lets not forget ATF, coolant and even wiper fluid They all have a smell if leaked.

Good information, however, I wish at some point there is some firm information as to the cause. Simply saying it is a bad head is meaningless. The heads are cast and then machined, and it seems that there is no set rule of any partial production date and VINs only a large vague cautionary TSB as the Mazda that "may" have a oil leakage? It really is so simple one only has to pressure test, xray or machine dissect cut the head in the suspect area of a few of the removed suspected heads and see exactly what the cause is. I am going to rule out block surface and head gasket because they have never once been mentioned but in my "experience" or expertise having to do with performance heads they should have been suspect as well? I have a feeling that the actual few heads that have this oil leak and their heads replaced we will likely never know why? Keep in mind that currently there are so few heads having this problem when you count the number of produced engines during the time period indicated in the TSB.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:16 PM

No, problem, I did not take offense. I probably don't know what an oil leak smells like--I'm a 69-year-old woman, I just drive the cars, notice if there's a leak on the driveway (there was none), and know to stop immediately when the oil light comes on!

The lady at the desk when I picked up my car said casting issue and porosity, which I did look up. So I wonder, have they not actually fixed the problem, is it something other than bad casting and porosity, are they using up their stocked heads and don't know which are bad? It's just strange that it has been going on so long.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DianeJinOK
No, problem, I did not take offense. I probably don't know what an oil leak smells like--I'm a 69-year-old woman, I just drive the cars, notice if there's a leak on the driveway (there was none), and know to stop immediately when the oil light comes on!

The lady at the desk when I picked up my car said casting issue and porosity, which I did look up. So I wonder, have they not actually fixed the problem, is it something other than bad casting and porosity, are they using up their stocked heads and don't know which are bad? It's just strange that it has been going on so long.
Wow I wish more would know that!YOu would be surpised at least once a month a vehicle get towed nto the shop becuase they drove for a couple days with the RED oil light on! LOL

As for what you were told when you picked your car up,,, lol someone was told basic casting information and giving the impression that is what the cause was. LOL Thats funny honestly. As I said there are exact ways that the cause could have been found and to date has not been posted anywhere by Mazda yet> I am doubtful it ever will. More than likely it will be someone like myself that get a hold of one of these so called defective heads and learns first had.

As for you age and smells again...... do you know what a CAT (catalytic converter) going bad smells like? LOL

HINT!

Old 08-15-2023, 06:53 PM

I guess the real question is - Does Mazda even care what the real issue is? I would say no. They just want the motors to last until 5yr/60k and then it isn't their concern anymore. Probably cheaper to replace the heads in the few cases it happens and hope the second one lasts through the warranty....

Old 08-16-2023, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I guess the real question is - Does Mazda even care what the real issue is? I would say no. They just want the motors to last until 5yr/60k and then it isn't their concern anymore. Probably cheaper to replace the heads in the few cases it happens and hope the second one lasts through the warranty....
I think you pretty much hit the hammer on the nail ! The effective engine number currently are so low Mazda like most auto manufactures are likely to just let the small waves pass, replace a few heads and be done with it. As I said somewhere on this forum should I get one of those heads I will look into the cause of what the TSB described. Unfortunately, the directive from most auto manufactures for large parts like a head is to inventory the part and document destroying it

Old 08-17-2023, 09:54 AM

Ok that is just information about the part(s) that are included in the service "IF AUTHORZED" under warranty replacemen! This TSB is not uncommon for some service that are having to do with system part with multiple parts associated with the required part(s) needed to be replaced. FYI under the dealership contract with MAZDA any dealer that replaces some parts or perfroms some service not authorized directly from MAZDA they may have not be reimbursed for the parts and labor.

It is NOT anything more then that, sop please dont read into what you think it means other then what I explained!
Frankly it is another TSB that should be kept withing the TSB trademark of not being publicly posted because most do not understand them! But its the times we live in that even a trademark now has no protection so why pay the cost of getting them only to have them violated. I know first hand experence with my own!

Often NEVER read by people that find these and post them:

Quick Reply: 2021 CX 5 heads