Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 CX-5 Signature Electric Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 09:52 PM
Unhappy Not just turbos

I’ve been complaining about this for five years!
Mine’s a 2016.5 GT and NOT a turbo.
Sound comes and goes, but is nearly always happens at idle, both in gear and out.
My friend bought an identical GT in the same month, same dealer, with no such noise.
Dealer was useless.
Please, please, please, where is this bracket?

Old 12-17-2020, 08:10 AM

ThePetes, could you please update this link with your resolution? My noise is worse in cold and dry weather (and winter is just that here in the northeast!), so my noise is at its worst. It almost sounds like a car that is 'pinging'. That's not a good noise. I'd love to DIY to fix this noise - as my dealership too is saying it's normal for high pressure fuel pump.

Please update to help all of us!

Last edited by freeportd; 12-17-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:17 PM

Omg I’m glad I found this! I have a ‘19 cx5 turbo and the chirping noise is making me insane. I’ll bring this fix up to my service manager

Originally Posted by ThePetes
I just got my 2020 CX-5 Signature fixed! After 27 days without my vehicle they found that it is the 'high pressure fuel line bracket'. They removed the fuel line bracket, installed insulation to absorb the noise on the bracket and reinstalled it. If you have the issue, take your vehicle to the dealership and tell them that this is the solution and you will have a quiet car! I dealt with 5 managers at the dealer, they contacted Mazda Regional, and Mazda Corporate got involved to get this fixed. Very happy right now.

Old 04-01-2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by freeportd
My dealer says it's the high pressure fuel injectors. I think they are correct on their diagnosis that it's fuel injector related. Injectors stop firing as you decelerate until you get close to stopped. They resume to maintain idle. Why they are so evident is not clear. SavageGeese (Youtube reviewer) also mentioned the noise and his hunch that it was injector related - and went on to say when a car is as quiet as our CX-5s, other noises previously masked become apparent.

My dealer's master mechanic said noise was normal....
I purchased a 2021 Signature on Saturday. I don't have that noise at all, don't listen to "they all make that noise" line.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:53 AM

Chris, I hope it stays that way for you - but warmer weather tends to quiet the noise. I'm in New England, and while still pretty cool, the warmer'ish weather has already reduced the noise level. In another month or so, it will likely fade almost to non-existent. The only reason I hear it is because I know what I'm listening for (and my 60+ years aren't what they used to be). But, mine will be back more prominently in the late fall. That is unless I can figure out how to quiet it between now and then!

Maybe Mazda figured out how to insulate it on the 2021s. I hope that's the case - but if it is, I wish they'd share what they did. I don't expect them to make the change on mine - but give me the info so I can do it on my own!

Old 04-08-2021, 08:01 AM

I hope you get a resolution, I'd be going crazy with a problem like that.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:07 PM

I took the vehicle to the Brown Fairfax Mazda dealership on February 3rd[, 2020]]. 3 people confirmed that there was a noise present in my vehicle that did not exist in others. They associated the noise to the fuel injectors.
I just got my 2020 CX-5 Signature fixed! After 27 days without my vehicle they found that it is the 'high pressure fuel line bracket'. They removed the fuel line bracket, installed insulation to absorb the noise on the bracket and reinstalled it. If you have the issue, take your vehicle to the dealership and tell them that this is the solution and you will have a quiet car! I dealt with 5 managers at the dealer, they contacted Mazda Regional, and Mazda Corporate got involved to get this fixed. Very happy right now.
I want to thank ThePetes for this thread and for working through this issue with multiple people at the dealership. I finally got the issue fixed on my 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve (AWD and turbo) at the same dealership, Brown's Fairfax Mazda in Fairfax, Virginia (i.e., the Washington, DC metro area).

I purchased my 2020 CX-5 in April 2021. (For some reason, it was still sitting on the dealer's lot, well into 2021, so I got a great deal). It made no noise, whatsoever, during the warm months. But the rapid cricket chirp appeared in late September or early October as the outdoor temperatures began to drop. I took my vehicle to my local dealer, Koons Mazda Silver Spring (Maryland), and while they acknowledged that it was related to the fuel system, they brushed it off as normal: "Customer concern is normal operation - when vehicle is cold, the sound heard is of the injectors and warm-up catalyst diverting exhaust back into EGR. Explain to customer operation of system and to allow vehicle to properly warm up before taking off. Customer Education." That really irritated me because, as many of you have experienced (and as I told Koon's), while heat in the engine bay seems to eventually reduce the noise, I have to wait a long time after the engine reaches normal operating temperature -- 20 minutes or more -- in order for that ambient heat to do whatever it does to stop the noise. Obviously, I shouldn't have to let the car warm-up for 20+ minutes "before taking off."

Fortunately, like ThePetes, I live in the Washington, DC area, within 45 minutes of Brown's. So I scheduled an appointment with them this week. I thoroughly documented my concern, writing down exactly when and how the sound presents: "Sounds like a fast cricket chirp. Starts as soon as the car starts-up and idles, and increases in frequency (speed) and somewhat in volume with acceleration, although, at higher speeds, regular engine noise begins to drown it out. Sound disappears upon braking and coasting, however as car reaches lower speed (and lower gear), sound returns and persists as car idles." I also pointed out this thread, gave them the link to the above-referenced
, and sent them an audio recording of my own vehicle, attached (the sound is most clear at the very end, as the car settles into an idle). And I explained how I understood that they had fixed this issue for another CX-5 owner.

Brown's gave me a loaner vehicle and kept my CX-5 for 2 days, while they waited for the technician who was familiar with this issue to come in. This morning, I picked-up my vehicle and, sure enough, the sound has been remedied. No charge; it was covered under warranty. Here's how they described the repair: "Tech installed insulation between high pressure fuel line and firewall."

Hopefully, this helps some of you. Thanks, again, ThePetes!

Attached Files
Old 03-17-2022, 03:02 PM

Wow, if you could get the technician's name - or maybe get him/her to post the exact procedures (call it a TSB of sorts) so we can all take it to our dealers, that would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I am not in the DC area (my daughter is - but that doesn't help . I'm even willing to do this myself if I can understand what they did and what materials they used. Can you see what they did and maybe post some pictures?

Old 03-17-2022, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by freeportd
Wow, if you could get the technician's name - or maybe get him/her to post the exact procedures (call it a TSB of sorts) so we can all take it to our dealers, that would be much appreciated. Unfortunately I am not in the DC area (my daughter is - but that doesn't help . I'm even willing to do this myself if I can understand what they did and what materials they used. Can you see what they did and maybe post some pictures?
I'll try to follow-up on that this weekend; maybe call the dealership and pop the hood to see if I can see anything worth photographing.

Also, I should share: at this point, a few days later, I realize that the sound has not been 100% eliminated. From a cold start, on a cold day, I can still hear it. But it's maybe only 20% as loud. Much improved, even if it's not perfect.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:47 AM

Just found this thread while desperatly looking to resolve this issue on my CX-5 2021.5 Signature. I'v been experiencing this anoying noise for the last months and it just seemed to get worst.

I complained to my dealer about it and after a bit of hesitation from them they finally agreed to replace the fuel pump earlier this week. Unfortunately, it did not resolve completely the problem. What was a permanent and increasing sound has now decreased in intensity and now seems to be more variable as a function of temperature (weather and engine bay warming up).

At the time, I was not aware about the fuel line bracket insulation. Since I would like to have my dealer to take a look at this possible solution, it would be nice if someone could help to identify the location of this bracket. Is it the one at the fuel pump outlet or is it located between the engine and firewall?

Any further detail on the fix would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2020 CX-5 Signature Electric Clicking Noise