Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 CX-5 Signature Electric Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 07:24 AM
Default 2020 CX-5 Signature Electric Clicking Noise

I just recently purchased a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature and noticed there is a very annoying electronic sounding clicking noise.

In the attached audio file (MP3) I captured the sound. I placed the phone on the floor of the vehicle near the gas pedal, as I found the noise is the loudest in that area. Whenever I place my foot on the gas pedal to accelerate you can hear the chirping noise. When I take my foot off of the accelerator it goes away. In the audio file I was driving around 30 MPH. I take my foot off of the gas between the 5 sec and the 8 second mark of the MP3 and between the 13 sec to the 17 sec part. During those times the sound is not present. I have the AC/Heat/Fans off during the test, I have tried it with the radio muted, on the phone where the person was not talking, and on Sirius (muted). All those scenarios do not impact the noise. I have gone into the infotainment system to disable all of the braking/sensor/HUD/radio features and there was no impact there either. To make matters even more complicated the sound will turn on when I am slowing down for a red traffic light. If I am doing around 40 MPH and I am slowing down for a red light with the brake on the sound is gone. Right around the time that I slow down to about 15 MPH the sound will surface again.

Have you all experienced this? Were you able to get it fixed?

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Audio-trimmed.mp3 (274.8 KB, 1457 views)
Old 01-28-2020, 07:56 AM

...Wow. Except for a couple of almost imperceptible "ticks" (with my speaker volume turned up) I couldn't hear anything but engine & or tire noise (low hum).🤨

Old 01-28-2020, 06:18 PM

I see a similar post to mine on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/comment...ng_noise_help/

The audio this person provided is louder.

https://clyp.it/0gng0own

Old 02-01-2020, 11:02 AM

The vehicle is going to the shop on Monday.

Some co-workers agree with 3carmonte that the noise is hard to hear or it is not there. Others are like me that it is very annoying and something that I should have checked out. I am wondering if it is a high frequency sound that only some people can here. I found a YouTube video of another person complaining about the buzzing sound.

Two people in the comments of that video have mentioned that they have this issue on their new Signature vehicle.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:24 PM

Hi

I have a signature 2020, and I have the same noise, I already have 1300 miles and the noise still follows, please if you find any solution, comment it thanks

Originally Posted by ThePetes
I just recently purchased a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Signature and noticed there is a very annoying electronic sounding clicking noise.

In the attached audio file (MP3) I captured the sound. I placed the phone on the floor of the vehicle near the gas pedal, as I found the noise is the loudest in that area. Whenever I place my foot on the gas pedal to accelerate you can hear the chirping noise. When I take my foot off of the accelerator it goes away. In the audio file I was driving around 30 MPH. I take my foot off of the gas between the 5 sec and the 8 second mark of the MP3 and between the 13 sec to the 17 sec part. During those times the sound is not present. I have the AC/Heat/Fans off during the test, I have tried it with the radio muted, on the phone where the person was not talking, and on Sirius (muted). All those scenarios do not impact the noise. I have gone into the infotainment system to disable all of the braking/sensor/HUD/radio features and there was no impact there either. To make matters even more complicated the sound will turn on when I am slowing down for a red traffic light. If I am doing around 40 MPH and I am slowing down for a red light with the brake on the sound is gone. Right around the time that I slow down to about 15 MPH the sound will surface again.

Have you all experienced this? Were you able to get it fixed?

Old 02-06-2020, 07:08 PM

My dealer says it's the high pressure fuel injectors. I think they are correct on their diagnosis that it's fuel injector related. Injectors stop firing as you decelerate until you get close to stopped. They resume to maintain idle. Why they are so evident is not clear. SavageGeese (Youtube reviewer) also mentioned the noise and his hunch that it was injector related - and went on to say when a car is as quiet as our CX-5s, other noises previously masked become apparent.

My dealer's master mechanic said noise was normal....

Old 02-08-2020, 11:24 AM

I took the vehicle to the Brown Fairfax Mazda dealership on February 3rd. 3 people confirmed that there was a noise present in my vehicle that did not exist in others. They associated the noise to the fuel injectors. The service representative said that the noise was 'normal', which makes no sense because my parents 2020 CX-5 does not have the noise and neither did the 2019 loaner that I was provided. Using that logic, if my noise is normal, then their quiet vehicles are broken.

The issue was escalated to the Director of Operations at Mazda. He agreed with the service representative that the loud clicking noise was 'normal'. I then went to the Sales Manger to see if he could get me into another CX-5 that is quiet and he reached out to Mazda regional to get some advice. There was a software update introduced in 2019 that they wanted to test out. When they looked into that my 2020 already had the latest software, so that was not a help. They are looking into the fuel pump and the fuel injectors now and will be back in touch with me on Monday. I will say that using a Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner in the tank reduced the noise, so that could indirectly tie the sound to fuel injectors. Of course I wanted the sound to be loud and proud for the mechanics trying to fix the issue so I should not have introduced an additive to the mix. I have a better feeling about the dealership trying to fix the problem now that I did originally when dealing with the service department so I will wait to see what they come up with. Crossing my fingers.

I plan to continue to escalate the issue until the sound is fixed or I can be placed into another vehicle.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ThePetes
I took the vehicle to the Brown Fairfax Mazda dealership on February 3rd. 3 people confirmed that there was a noise present in my vehicle that did not exist in others. They associated the noise to the fuel injectors. The service representative said that the noise was 'normal', which makes no sense because my parents 2020 CX-5 does not have the noise and neither did the 2019 loaner that I was provided. Using that logic, if my noise is normal, then their quiet vehicles are broken.

The issue was escalated to the Director of Operations at Mazda. He agreed with the service representative that the loud clicking noise was 'normal'. I then went to the Sales Manger to see if he could get me into another CX-5 that is quiet and he reached out to Mazda regional to get some advice. There was a software update introduced in 2019 that they wanted to test out. When they looked into that my 2020 already had the latest software, so that was not a help. They are looking into the fuel pump and the fuel injectors now and will be back in touch with me on Monday. I will say that using a Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner in the tank reduced the noise, so that could indirectly tie the sound to fuel injectors. Of course I wanted the sound to be loud and proud for the mechanics trying to fix the issue so I should not have introduced an additive to the mix. I have a better feeling about the dealership trying to fix the problem now that I did originally when dealing with the service department so I will wait to see what they come up with. Crossing my fingers.

I plan to continue to escalate the issue until the sound is fixed or I can be placed into another vehicle.
Best of luck with that. I seriously doubt they would consider the sound a lemon law type issue. I do hope they get it fixed. I will say we have a clicking sound in our '19 GT. It sounds to me like its coming from the steering column. It comes and goes. Ours is not engine oriented as yours is.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:49 PM

Could it be specific to the turbo models, which would explain why not everyone experiences it?

Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM

hello, everyone, last week with less than half of the gas tank, the noise disappeared for 1 day, a few seconds after accelerating it disappeared, but sadly it was only 1 day that happened, the noise is still, it is very frustrating, I hope someone gets a solution

Last edited by ale8404; 02-17-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 CX-5 Signature Electric Clicking Noise